CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-29-2006, 10:01 AM   #1
Marc Kriss

Profile:
I have no previous gymnastics training, but want to start training to to a handstand, then HSPU. i am pretty athletic with good balance.

should i just start on a wall, then try and hold? if so, any tips, techniques, progression???

i am also starting some of the basic gymnastics moves, such as planche and front lever. good stuff, really tough.

thanks-
Old 06-29-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
Marc Kriss

Profile:
or, if someone has a link they can send me with basics/getting started on this move, please provide. thanks
Old 06-29-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Marc

No links, but I think I'm probably only 3-4 months ahead of you on the gymnastics stuff from your previous posts.

I trained for Handstands hard. It wasn't like the planche/FL progressions. I used a wall initially, then abandoned it. It may depend on where you are, but if you're balance is pretty good like you said and you can kick into a handstand w/o a wall for 2 seconds, I don't think you need the wall.

So what I did was after the WOD, I would work on handstands for hours. Literally I would work on handstands, walking on hands for two hours in the evenings. I'd do handstands every chance I got. That grease the groove thing really works. It doesn't take that long before your balance and technique catch up to your actual strength.

One thing, doing handstands that much can really tax your shoulders, just be wary of over-training if you do that much.

anyway that's what I did. I think my handstand and walking is pretty good now, and really it only took like two weeks probably 10 hours worth. My HSPU's are coming along (still do those against a wall).

Aush
Old 06-29-2006, 10:50 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
First progression:
Find a wall, stand with your back to it. Reach down and put your hands on the floor. You will be in some pseudo pushup position. Start walking your feet up the floor and your hands closer to the wall. Hold for 10 sec say about hands a foot and a half away from the wall for starters.
You might have to go further out or maybe you could closer in. Get used to being upside down. Some people need to get used to that. I have a heck of a time breathing upside down. Ehh.
Eventually walk your hands to within a few inches of the wall. Instead of bracing your feet against the wall with the ball of your foot, use the instep and toes. One at a time, take a minute bounce off the wall with your toes so you are in a free off the wall handstand for a split second. Play with this just going foot to foot.
Eventually when you can hold a good position ( Squeeze your butt, suck your gut which means to a pelvis tilt in and extend your handstand through your shoulders [ Hide your eats and put that shoulder up and against your ear ] ) you can practice quickly lifting one hand and touching your armpit and switching off.
Practicing to rolling out of the handstand against the wall is good so you will know how to bail out when you do it fall out of one on floor. Eventually the roll leads to something else, but at first it's just to not land on your hand.

Once you get used to holding a basic handstand against the wall for 10 sec, it's time to progress to kicking into it on floor. Maybe kick into a handstand with some sort of mats, pillows, or cushioning in case you kick too hard at first.
If you find it hard to reach for the floor from a forward lunge you could alternatively start from a lunge on your knee or a pushup position ( like a mountainclimber exercise with one knee bent in ). Practice kicking one leg high and the base leg just coming off the floor by a few inches. Eventually go higher or switch the legs mid air at a 60 degree angle or 1/2 to 3/4 of the wa up to handstand.

Push down on the ground with your hands. Spread out your fingertips. Hide your ears and push your shoulders against your ears.

Good luck.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:53 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Aushion. 2 hours, that's awesome. I remember when I started I would attempt 50 to 100x switching side and entry techniques. I had already down the against the wall since my youth so that wasn't really the problem.
Lately, it seems I can't breathe very well inverted without losing position. It's more of concentrating on too tight to breathe or laxing it up and being too loose to maintain balance.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:16 AM   #6
Marc Kriss

Profile:
thanks aushion. 2 hrs is beast. dont have that kinda time, but before/after workouts i definitely have some time to spare sitting around the house.

blair- thanks for the advice. i will try the walk up tonight, and just give it a go from there. much appreciated. lots of detail. very nice.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:59 AM   #7
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Blair

Yeah, the breathing part REALLY helped me with the walking on my hands work. I could do maybe one to three "steps" before I came down...I realized after talking to Mandy at CF San Diego, that I was falling exactly when I tried to take a breath. now when I kick up the first thing I think about is breathing. I've since been able to go pretty far. When I forget to breathe, it still messes me up.

Aush
Old 06-29-2006, 12:21 PM   #8
David Ingersoll

Profile:
Check out www.beastskills.com

It has great tutorials for many of these skills with pictures.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:41 AM   #9
Marc Kriss

Profile:
thanks dave - beastskills is a nice site for ref materials and some other cool stuff. lots to learn!