CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-23-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
Fred Macri

Profile:  
I have a tough time maintaining the false grip on the muscle up between reps. Also manage to cut up my wrists pretty good. Any suggestions? Thanks much.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
Krista A. Jones

Profile:
I have seen people taping their wrists when they get a little rubbed raw.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
Doug Emerson

Profile:
Don't mean to detract from your thread, but I have a question too. From looking at the video on the front page. The 2 guys at the end of the video, doing the bar muscle ups, look like they are useing a regular pull up grip. Is this correct? Also, is it okay to (not sure how to describe it) shuffle up one side and then the other (whend doing a bar muscle up)?
Old 01-23-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
Michael Ledney

Profile:
Fred, I second Krista, but you will lose some of your grip friction when you tape your wrists. Even CF elites tend to reset their grip when going for multiple MUs so don't be discouraged by that.

Doug, I'm a brand new member of the bar muscle up club so I won't act like an expert. However, I don't use a false grip on the bar, just a regular grip and then pull like hell. The dip portion is made easier if I keep my hands a little closer than shoulder width.

As far as "shuffling" up, that probably qualifies as function over form (we call it a struggle up in our gym). Does it count? Who am I to judge, you should see my snatch form on rep 21, but I'm still counting it.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
Doug Emerson

Profile:
Michael, Let me backpedal here a sec. :biggrin:I didn't mean to take away from the guy's success. Hell, I can't do one. I imagine that over time he will get them in one fluid motion. Hopefully I'll get them figured out.

I am supposed to get my "elite rings" here in the next couple of weeks. Should help practicing on those. I was practicing muscle ups on the pull up bar at my gym, but have kind of given up. I can get my sternum up to the bar, but that's it. Hopefully I'll be able to shuffle up too:wink:
Old 01-23-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
There are bar muscle ups and kips to support. What the people in the video are doing is a kip to support. The kip to support is harder to learn than the muscle up, but easier to do once you learn it.

Bar muscle ups have no kip involved and require a false grip. There is a video of Matt G. doing some on the exercise page.

What they are doing is a violent extension of the kipping pull-up where the arms are kept strait as long as possible and momentum is used to propel your body over the bar. A normal overhand grip is adequate for these.

To get these work on your swing. Try to get yourself to swing until your body is horizontal. Once you have that figured out you will have the momentum to get yourself over the bar.

Muscle ups on a bar are harder than on the rings because you have to get your body around the bar rather than going between them, but once you get a ring muscle up it will not take long to get a bar muscle up if you work on it.

I recommend ace wraps for ripped up wrist skin. It provides a good surface to hold onto the rings when working on muscle ups after an injury.

Old 01-23-2006, 04:51 PM   #7
John Messano

Profile:
Fred,

I had the same questions after my first muscle-up not very long ago. The blisters or raw skin are not uncommon. Try focusing on adjusting your grip back into the false-grip on your way down. Also, it may be difficult to fully extend your arms with a false grip, but this, I've read, is also not uncommon. Good Luck.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:20 PM   #8
Jared Waltz

Profile:
here's a bar muscle up without a false grip and a very slight kip if any:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...98787467285640

(it's at 2:50 if you want to fast forward)
Old 01-23-2006, 09:59 PM   #9
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
The ability to fully extend your arms with a false grip comes with practice, I am told that it is a flexibility thing. Like John said it is like this for just about everyone.

At first I was unable to maintain my grip if I extended my arms much past 90 degrees, but with practice I was able to get to full extension and turn the rings out at the bottom while maintaining the grip.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:54 AM   #10
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Fred,

this has been discussed before at http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/16369.html.

Cheers,

Christian

... currently at 7 consecutive MUs ...