CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-13-2007, 07:36 AM   #1
Chris Honnon

Profile:
So this morning was interesting. I picked up with Friday's Shoulder Press, Push Press, Push Jerk WOD. For starters I should have re-read the WOD because I remembered it being 7 sets of each, not 5 so....ouch?

I just wanted to point out that by the time I started on the Push Jerk sets I was quite exhausted. Interestingly enough though, this exhaustion helped me to really "feel the form" for what may be the first time ever. There was no way I was getting that weight above my head without "exploding" the weight upward with my core and "jerking" my body underneath.

I am pretty excited with finally connecting with the form on this because I can watch videos and listen to Mike discuss for days (and enjoy it immensely) but until I felt the difference this morning I have never really understood.

The other observation I made recently, and I confirmed it today between sets, is related to my squat depth. I have had tremendous difficulty getting to parrallel or lower on any squat form. Recently I noticed I have the most trouble with OHS, even with an empty bar.

Without weight and with my arms to the side and elbows bent I have no problem at all getting down into that really low, butt nearly touching the floor position. When in this position I've really begun to notice the way my feet connect to the floor and that I really seem to put too much emphasis on the ball of my foot rather than distributing the pressure across the entire foot (does that make sense?). When I focus on shifting that weight back to the sole a little more I suddenly feel much more stability.

Now, in that position I begin to try bringing my arms up above my head into what I would perceive to be the correct location for my OHS or a catch on the snatch and BANG, balance lost and backwards I go!

Based on the reading I've done here I'm thinking my issue is less a strengthening problem than perhaps a flexibility issue with my shoulders. I mean, I have a long way to go as far as strength is concerned but I really think the flexibility is getting in the way of good form thus putting more reliance on the smaller, front muscles in my lower leg than on the larger, upper leg muscles.

So, if this makes sense, I need to integrate shoulder flexibility into the routine; perhaps into my warm-ups? I have read a lot on these boards about others doing similar routines, does anyone out there have any success stories based on similar experience that you could share? What exercises seemed to work best?

BTW, I hit two PR's today as well, one on the Shoulder Press (110) and one on the Push Press (130)!!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:04 AM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Awesome work on the PRs!

One of the best ways to improve the flexibility for exercises that cause you problems is to continue practising those exercises.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Chris,

In addition to Anthony's excellent advice, I'd suggest a shoulder stretch that is great for OHS and snatch.

In your warm-up when doing unweighted OHS, with arms locked and bar overhead, let it continue back doing a "dislocate", ending with the bar behind your back. You may need to widen your grip to accomplish this initially. As flexibility improves, you can gradually narrow your grip. Try this both standing and in the full squat position. Go slow. Hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:22 AM   #4
Chris Honnon

Profile:
Thanks a lot for the input guys (and the recognition of the PR's Anthony, those numbers and successfully completing a 5k today have made my week lol). Your advice is being taken.

I'll start adding empty bar OHS, BS, and FS along with the "dislocate's" to my warmup (I've been doing something different than the CFWU so the OHS are new) along with regularly dropping into that low squat throughout my day (gets me some funny looks in the office but they're pretty used to me by now). Not really GTG or anything but hopefully this will start to help.

Now to work on that popping sound from my knees everytime I get low like that. I think I remember a post a few weeks back where someone had the same question, guess I'll hit the search again.

Thanks again!