CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 05-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
Paul Nguyen

Profile:
Row Machine Generator... People capable of significant power output?

So me and my old roommates were discussing cool things to design and build, and we though about building our very own wind generator. But then I also got to thinking, maybe we could have a switch that allows a row machine to power the generator the wind turbine was attached to.

So I got to looking around as what was out there via internet and I mostly found the response that people typically are not capable of a power output high enough do things like even power a lightbulb for a long time. And I was thinking, crossfit focuses alot on power output!

Basically what I'm trying to put up for discussion is "If one person isn't capable of producing a significant power output for practical use, what about 4 or 5 people doing a row 5k WOD?"
Old 05-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Re: Row Machine Generator... People capable of significant power output?

One person can probably put out enough power for a 5k effort to maybe run the lights in the garage gym. But it'd still be cool.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:55 AM   #3
Christian Gotcher

Profile:

The question is not, I would think, how much power could you output... but how you would store it. If you could get a lot of people though, or store several workouts, there would be something somewhat satisfying, in going to your electric meter, turning on ye-old-rower, and seeing the little clock stop completely.
M/22/155|Murph-28:19|Helen-9:39|Annie- 5:12|CFT-700|1.5 Mile-8:35|Strict PU-24|Fran-5:24 log
Old 05-07-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
Paul Nguyen

Profile:

Well, if me and my friends roll with the idea, we were thinking of having them power back-up supplies first (Kind of like those things you plug your computer into just incase the power goes out so it gives you time to save your work/etc). Storing energy is typically difficult as conventional batteries and and capacitors lose charge over time.

Plugging it straight into the grid would be a REALLY difficult task considering that's something you typically would get an electrical engineer to do (That's the ultimate goal, I think though).

But I guess once we have it built, we'll see how efficient it is and decide from there.