CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-21-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
John Stirling

Profile:
Frustration...

I've got motivated last night by two things, first was the Nike No Excuses video and the other was a comment on the main page comments. Someone said that they couldn't do a certain excercise and someone responded saying that "couldn't" means you "wouldn't".

I can do HSPU's, but I just haven't fully accomplished one yet. I did them again today with feet on a bar at the top of the squat rack. I was able to do several before engaging my legs to assist but, inevitably, had to. I tried several times to do a handstand against the wall and still had trouble with it.

I know that I will get them but I'm looking for some suggestions on how to develop the skill of handstands and then HSPU's.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: Frustration...

Most of the problem for me regarding HSPU's is getting my brain to accept being upside-down. If I ever DO manage to do a handstand (I can't hold them for more than a couple seconds freestanding), I don't do it with very good form. My head has to jut out, because the second It gets completely upside-down, my brain goes nuts and decides "Time to disengage all muscles and return to Earth!" and down I go.

There are some really good HSPU progression videos in the exercises/demos section, though, as far as doing them against a wall goes. I think if you follow those, you probably don't need much else, aside from mentally getting upside-down.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Neil Khant

Profile:
Re: Frustration...

This works if you have a partner:

Person 1 stands, person 2 stands facing the other.

Person 2 will put their hands about a foot from the others feet and kick up into a handstand.

Person 1 will catch person 2's legs by the ankle.

Person 1's job is to assist in balance and to assist in lifting when needed.

Person 2's job is to do the HSPU.

This will be a workout for both people. As you get better, move to parallettes. This will give you a deeper HSPU.

As you get better the other person is less necessary and you can use a wall.