CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
Fred Walden

Profile:
Thanks for everything!

I've been lurking (for quite a while) so I thought I'd finally post an introduction.

I am a 46 (47 on February 27th) on a self improvement kick. I have always been athletic, but took some serious detours. I was a high school track/cross country runner. I spent several years in the U.S. Army (11B: 10th Mountain, 82nd Airborne). After I became a civilian I got on a bodybuilding kick. I also developed a pretty severe substance abuse problem, but continued to hit the gym.

I got clean and sober on June 28, 2003.

In March of 2007 my sons decided to enlist in the Army (one in the Airborne, one as a Tanker) and started talking about getting in shape for boot camp. I thought it would be a good last chance to spend some quality time with them, so I said I'd help them pre-condition. We decided that Crossfit looked like the most practical route to go. Well that started my visiting for the WOD.

Well my youngest son is now at Ft. Bragg, NC (82nd Airborne) and my oldest is at Ft. Stewart, GA (3rd ID). I'm still here.

I dropped a lot of weight (5'8" from 190# to 165#) quite a bit of body fat, and probably some muscle. My strength hasn't suffered too much, but my overall conditioning has gone through the roof.

I'm in as good condition as I was during my service days. I'm proud that my sons gave me props for training with them prior to their ship dates. I'm also seriously pleased with being able to keep up with a new significant other, who is an athletic 12 years my junior.

I am very gratefull to all of the folks who give their time and effort to make this site such a great resource. I hope to be a small part of that, now that I have broken the ice and posted. Thanks to the whole Crossfit community!
Old 02-10-2008, 06:03 AM   #2
David Sailor

Profile:
Re: Thanks for everything!

Hi Fred.

Welcome to the community. That's an inspirational story you have and it's good to see the progress. There is a ton of information here and plenty of support. David
Old 02-10-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

I understand where you're coming from...when I was 48 years old, I realized I was shaping the rest of my life with the choices I was making every day, and most of 'em at the time were for crap.

So I lost almost 100 pounds and became a late-onset athlete. I'm looking forward to a much brighter future now!

I hope you stick around and share some of your enthusiasm!

Susie
Old 02-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
Cal Jones

Profile:

Yes, I hit 40 last year. I'd always thought my performance would suffer as I aged but actually I'm getting stronger. I just have to be a lot more wary of old injuries (and not getting new ones) as I take a bit longer to recover between workouts now.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
Wade Smith

Profile:

Same with me, Fred. I'm 47 (turn 48 next month) and am actually getting stronger and bigger. I didn't think I could pack on muscle at my age, but I am. I second Cal's vigilence about injuries. That's the issue post 40, I think.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
Andy Rogers

Profile:

What a great story you have to tell, Fred. Congratulations on all you've accomplished.

I'm a young father and find myself often concerned/wondering about what sort of father I'll be. What kind of example I will set. Sounds like you were an inspirational icon for your boys right when they needed it before heading out to start making big life choices of their own.

I wish all three of you (and the new significant other!) all the best. =)

-Andy
Old 02-10-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
Fred Walden

Profile:

I have to agree that injury prevention is a key to progress. Consistency is important, and I don't bounce back as fast as I used to.

I also took warmups less seriously in the past. I find that a complete warmup makes a huge difference to me now. I probably would have less nagging/old injuries, if I had given warming up more consideration in my younger days.

I am glad I found this site, and was at the right place in my life to give it a try. I am now invoved in a healthy "addiction", for a change. Some time when it seems appropriate I might talk about the unhealthy one. It took me to a lot of twelve step meetings, as well as to some pretty bad places.

Oh well, we can not change the past, we can change our present. I 'm pretty pleased with the direction I'm headed in!
Old 02-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

Fred--
Welcome to CF!
Add ten years to your age and you've got mine.
CrossFit is doable by anyone who is dedicated (and crazy enough) to consistently do the work.
Stay at it!

Airborne!