CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #1
Ando Mikkel

Profile:
Fairly New to CF: Some Q's

I have been doing CF for a few months (3.5) and can finally do unassisted pullups!!! No biggie to most of you, but I was pretty jacked when I did 30 in 5set increments.
My main question is that I have radically altered my diet to more zone based. All my carbs come frome veggies or fruits with absolutely no refined sugars or white carbs.
So how do I kick start dropping more fat? It is coming off slow at the age of 45, so do I just give it more time? Increase my WOD to 2x per day? Eat less?

Thanks for your suggestions

Ando
Old 12-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
Re: Fairly New to CF: Some Q's

I would not change a thing if it's "coming off slow", then it's going to come off. Nice going!
Old 12-12-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

I think it would pretty much be a mix of all that you said.

One thing that you didnt mention thuogh is the rest. Recovery is as important as the training it self if not more, even for fat burning.

Increasing your WoD might be too much IMO, really depends on your actual workload capacity though.If you can hit 2 WoDs a day, and dont find any dimishing in the performances, more power to you. But you'll probably end up being more tired than usual, thus having decreased performance, thus having even less calorie burned.

Keep eating well, keep doing the WoD religiously, you might want to look into cutting a bit of calories during the day, as long as there is no negative consequences on your performances. Remember that Fat is your friend.

The weight it self though doesn't represent much, look for your pants size going down, your body composition changing ( mirror), those are better ways of seeing how much of fat you really lost.

Also, it might be a long road ahead of you, but it is worth every moment on it. Lose 30 pounds in 30days and all those kind of "diets" aren't good long term habits.
Losing 30 pounds on a couple of month reflects real change that has been made on your lifestyle, and that is they objective. Get fitter, but stay fit.

Good luck to you ,

Consistency must be at your side for this ride
Old 12-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Ando,

Congratulations on your pull-ups, that's awesome.

You might search/peruse the Nutrition Forum on this message board for tons of dietary info. Your question might also get more responses there.

It sounds like you've made a significant dietary change, but I would say that you have gone more toward a paleo-diet rather than the Zone. If you really want to begin to shed more fat, you have numerous options. The first, for which you'll find tons of information and testimonials, is to go toward a strict Zone. Do a search. Basically, you will need to start carefully weighing and measuring your food in proper proportions according to Zone guidelines.

I'm not a Zoner, but I am mostly a paleo eater. Many people combine the two, meaning they use the Zone to proportion their food and the Paleo Diet to delineate what types of food they should eat (i.e., meats, fish, fowl, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds). Many people on these boards have had great success with the Zone in shedding fat.

You might also search Intermittent Fasting (IF), which can also help you to shed fat.

Good Luck!
Old 12-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

What's your height, weight and approximate BF%?

If you're really obese and the weight is coming off slow you might need to revamp your diet to include less cals. If you're like normal BF% and weight is coming off slow that can generally be a good thing as you are most likely building muscle while dropping the fat. Usually when normal people come in they get frustrated the scales aren't moving.. but stuff is actually happening.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
Ando Mikkel

Profile:

Thanks for the responses!

Good point on the rest as I do the daily WOD with some added excersises (lunges, runs, jumprope, wallballs etc.) everyday during the week. Maybe I will take the rest day as appointed.

My diet, such as it is, was more due to allergic constraints rather than an active choice. Wheat, gluten all with deletrious effects, so the choice to go strict veggie etc. was rather easy. The hard part was the withdrawl...weird stuff.

Body comp. has changed ALOT, if my wife can be trusted (DOH!). I started at 205 lbs and could barely do a partial WOD. Presently I am at 205lbs and find my anerobic capacity far outstrips my muscles endurance (i.e. I can continue to work out with no breath, but sometimes the muscles fail).

Take Care,

Ando
Old 12-13-2007, 03:12 AM   #7
Mirza Besic

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando Mikkel View Post
I have been doing CF for a few months (3.5) and can finally do unassisted pullups!!! No biggie to most of you, but I was pretty jacked when I did 30 in 5set increments.
My main question is that I have radically altered my diet to more zone based. All my carbs come frome veggies or fruits with absolutely no refined sugars or white carbs.
So how do I kick start dropping more fat? It is coming off slow at the age of 45, so do I just give it more time? Increase my WOD to 2x per day? Eat less?

Thanks for your suggestions

Ando
If your doing the WOD's I would deffinatly NOT do more. Usually that will just lead to overtraining and injury especially if your pushing mid 40's. What you can do is make sure that each WOD is done at maximum capacity and that you continuously increase your load, time etc.

As long as your making progress your doing ok. What you don't realize is that even if it might seem like your not loosing much weight it's probably because your gaining muscle mass as well; ESPEICALLY if your a newbie and your gains will be maximal. Judge your results by your mirror view not by a number on a scale.

Also if you really want to spruce up your fat loss; sprints, tabada squats, tabada thrusters a few times a week will supplement your WOD's. Although I don't think you need to go extra untill you start putting up some serious numbers in your WOD's.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:08 AM   #8
David Stout

Profile:

If you are really wanting to get serious, download CF Journal #21. It's all you really need to get started.

Free download from the mainpage: http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...ue21_May04.pdf

1. Your diet can be "zone based" and you'll definitely have results as you mentioned.

2. Your diet can follow the general crossfit prescription of: eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that support exercise but no body fat. You'll have results there as well.

3. You can follow the recommendations/directions of CFJ #21 and you'll have even better results.

You're on the right track it seems. I suppose it's about how far you want to take this thing.

David
CF Chattanooga