CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-26-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
Emily Mattes

Profile:
My body-building friend won't start Crossfit until he can do a full WOD

The title pretty much sums it up. I have a friend who does mainly bodybuilding work. He thinks Crossfit is awesome, but refuses to do any of the scaled workouts--he says he won't start the WODs until he can comfortably complete any posted WOD with a good time. I have argued that this is ridiculous since bodybuilding is not going to get him there, but he refuses to listen. Can anyone think of any arguments to convince him? He is extremely proud and I think associates doing scaled workouts or not getting good times as an admission of weakness.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:39 AM   #2
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
Re: My body-building friend won't start Crossfit until he can do a full WOD

Ask him how he thinks the guys who do the Rx'd workouts got to be able to DO the Rx'd workouts.
I mean, surely, if they were such beasts beforehand, what's the advantage in doing CrossFit at all? Just to cut down on their time in the gym?

An inability to accurately assess, admit, and own where you are truly at - in fitness and everything else - is, in my opinion, a greater weakness than simply not having already arrived at your goals.

If his current bodybuilding program hasn't enabled him to do WODs as Rx'd, what does he plan to change about his workouts to get to the Rx'd level? Because it seems to me that in order to acquire the skills you have to PRACTICE the skills, at a level that you can actually reach, which means--oh! scaled workouts!
Old 10-26-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
Michael Cooley

Profile:

Simple logic. If he really thinks CF is that awesome, but he isn't capable of completing a WOD as rx'ed, does he think this current routine is going to get him strong enough to do the WOD as rx'ed? If the answer is "Yes," there's be no point in doing the WOD -- he'll reach his fitness goals with his current routine. If the answer is "No" (which I suspect it is), then he's never, ever going to reach his goal of doing the WOD as rx'ed.

Q.E.D.

mpc
Old 10-26-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
Richard Hoar

Profile:

Actually, this is a line of logic from non-CFers that I've heard a lot. I've been trying for some time now to get several of my friends to transfer over to CF workouts/WODs. Maybe I'm just a horrible salesman (very likely the case), but every single time I try to convince them to come workout with me, I get the "maybe in a month or two... I need to work up to it first." There seems to be a high intimidation factor for the uninitiated.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
Armin Heravi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hoar View Post
Actually, this is a line of logic from non-CFers that I've heard a lot. I've been trying for some time now to get several of my friends to transfer over to CF workouts/WODs. Maybe I'm just a horrible salesman (very likely the case), but every single time I try to convince them to come workout with me, I get the "maybe in a month or two... I need to work up to it first." There seems to be a high intimidation factor for the uninitiated.
Just a few thoughts:

1. In terms of selling it, perhaps hit them with some open ended questions, based upon their initial "put off." "Assuming you do attempt it in a month or two, how do you intend to work up to it?"
Another one which would require severe thought on their part: "Crossfit states that it addresses 10 different aspects of fitness equally (give them a copy of the "What is Fitness?" article). How does your current program address those factors?" I think what it will highlight is that either they haven't thought it through, or they're just stonewalling and won't ever give it a shot. If the latter, give up, turn into a CrossFit beast, and crush them later.

2. Or just attack (diplomatically) their logic. One would assume they just didn't walk into a gym and bench 225. They started at 145, to 165...and so on. Isn't that "working up to it?" How is that different from scaling a workout until they can successfully complete a workout as prescribed?
Old 10-26-2007, 10:40 AM   #6
David Plakos

Profile:

if you want to go the nice recruiting route, find a workout he can do. i suck at most squat- and pullup-heavy workouts, but if it involves deadlifts, hspus and/or dips, i'm your man (my fave is the 21/15/9 of DL/HSPU -- can't remember the name). being able to do those type of workouts negated the "intimidation" factor. i could do some of the workout as rxed, just not all.

max effort days may be a good place to start. if he can deadlift anything, have him do an ME day of deadlift singles. if he can do a few pullups, have him try ME weighted pullups for singles. or maybe a 5x5 or 3-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1 format. basically, you can't fail* at doing a workout that has no requirement other than "warm up, pick up something heavy."

ME is part of crossfit. completing an ME day is being able to do part of crossfit. i can't complete fran as rxed, but that's not stopping me from at least trying.

*failure is technically possible if you break something like a leg (unless the workout involves pistols)

Last edited by David Plakos; 10-26-2007 at 10:42 AM..
Old 10-26-2007, 10:40 AM   #7
John Seiler

Profile:

Ask him what he'd say to the cardio hound who says they'd like to start bodybuilding but won't do it until they are big and strong as him. I'd wager the response would be, "How do you think I got here?"
Old 10-26-2007, 11:03 AM   #8
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Ditto what John said.

As a bodybuilder, I am sure he could put up significant numbers on a CFT. Have him start there.

His pullups might suck, but Cindy only requires 5 pullups per round (plus the pushups and squats). Have him knock out as many rounds as he can.

If you ever want to "improve" on your WODs, you need to have done them at least once first! Sheesh!

I had watched multiple Fran videos prior to doing it the first time. I thought it would take me about 15 minutes to get through all the thrusters (definitely a weak point for me), but my first effort was around 10:00 I think... then my second effort was under 8:00... all other WODs I've repeated, I have done better than the previous time I did it (more weight, more reps or faster time).

Good luck getting it through to him!
Old 10-26-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
Derek Maffett

Profile:

He's just going to have to carry a bruised ego for about 1-3 months. Then he'll have respectable times. And if he doesn't want to admit how badly conditioned he is, then he doesn't have to tell people his times. If he does the work, he'll improve quickly.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #10
Chris Hitzroth

Profile:

Emily, your friend is saying politely "I like my workouts and don't want to do CrossFit."