CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
Celio Silva

Profile:
Main Page Programming

This is in regards to todays' WOD but I think it belongs here because of how it impacts the community.

The WOD called for 72 reps of weighted "one-hand" pull ups @ 60lbs, which has generated controversy under the comments of whether or not it is possible at all to perform such a WOD.

A weighted pull up (with both hands) at BW is an impressive feat of strength and one would be really hard pressed to find anyone who can do it as antything else than a 1RM. If we accept that both man & woman are able of such a feat, and take a group of female and male athletes ranging from 100lbs to 200lbs (I don't thinkt anyone can pull more than 200lbs up with them) and have them perform this WOD, they would be pulling anywhere from 60% to 30% of their 1RM pull up on both hands, except they would be pulling it with one hand only.

So even for athletes with exceptional pull up strength, the WOD calls for pulling 60% to 30% of your 1RM weighted Pull Up from both hands, but with one hand only, 72 times as part of a duplet for time. Such a high rep numbers of pull ups at such weight on one-hand cannot be performed fast by itself, let alone as part of a duplet (granted, the thrusters were fairly easy, but they still take away from your capacity to perform the pull ups).

So what's the point of todays' WOD? I genuinely ask. Maybe I am missing something. But a WOD for time that cannot possibly be done fast? A WOD that, by the feedback & response from posted comments, is leaving people feeling incapable, unfit, and insecure about the program; questioning whether is doable in the first place. I am not talking about comments criticizing the WOD itself, just the weighted one-hand pull ups. The WOD is great and anyone who fails to see that is missing out, but the weight makes no sense.

Before I get stoned for blasphemy let it be known that I am simply trying to learn. I am student of the game (of fitness & health) and was shocked by the rephrasing of the WOD this morning when they made clear that pull ups were weighted. I had seen the WOD last night and though that there was no way that the pull ups were weighted. I did it this morning with a 24kg KB and unweighted one-hand pull ups in 16:46 (my first mainpage WOD after one year off weights and training in general due to severe plantar fasciitis) and then saw the change on the mainpage.

If I am way off and this WOD is doable I really wanna see a video of someone doing it. It would teach me a major lesson about human potential.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
Renee Lee

Profile:
Re: Main Page Programming

i bet rob orlando can do this wod.

honestly, i bet his "one armed fran" video from a few weeks ago is the reason for this wod posted on main page in the first place
Old 12-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
Celio Silva

Profile:

Renee, Rob's name immediatelly popped in my head, but how long would it take him?? I am hoping to be prove wrong, we'll see. Like I said, it would teach me a major lesson in fitness...
Old 12-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
Renee, Rob's name immediatelly popped in my head, but how long would it take him?? I am hoping to be prove wrong, we'll see. Like I said, it would teach me a major lesson in fitness...
i think it took him ~10 min to do it with unweighted pullups with no 2nd hand on his wrist for stabilization and a bb on the thrusters.

do i have any doubt that his 2 handed weighted pullup 1rm is over 135lbs? no. do i have any doubt that weighting the pullups and asking for 9 less reps of everything is going to impede him in any major way? no.

i think you're underestimating human potential. if people on mainpage are whining about it being too hard, perhaps they need to add one armed pullups to their list of goats
Old 12-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
Celio Silva

Profile:

Not everyone is whinning, some of us are seriously questioning how feasible the WOD is...
Old 12-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I haven't tried the WOD, and definitely can't do it myself, but I did notice that these aren't true one-arm pullups as Rxed. The "off" hand grabs the wrist of the pulling hand, while in a true one-arm pullup, the off hand is free. That would make the difficulty much closer to a standard (weighted) pullup. (See also http://www.beastskills.com/OneArmPull.htm WFS)

Still beastly, but perhaps not impossible.

Katherine

Last edited by Katherine Derbyshire; 12-02-2009 at 02:30 PM..
Old 12-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Using a single 60lb dumbbell for both thrusters and pull-ups, 3 rounds, 15-12-9 reps of:
Thrusters right arm
Thrusters left arm
"One-hand" pull-up right arm (left hand grabs the right wrist)
"One-hand" pull-up left arm (right hand grabs the left wrist)
This is Rob's WOD x2, basically, but not at 21-15-9 scheme, with 35 less lbs.

Because each round is each hand, right?!?

MP must seek to constantly challenge "Elite Athletes" and as long as people continue to post sub 2min Frans, 20+ round Cindy's etc. the MP will probably just get more and more "elite".

Rob!
Old 12-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
Celio Silva

Profile:

Actually Mrcus, it's both hands on each round.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
Jared Ashley

Profile:

I am glad that they re-phrased the clarify the WOD, and I've always been the type who says "suck it up or scale," but I actually agree with you on this one.

I have NO doubt that there are a few members of the community who can do this WOD as prescribed.

I also have NO doubt that those people can be counted on my fingers.

In my mind, the main-page WOD should range from moderately difficult (i.e. people in "pretty good shape" can do it) to very difficult (those only in "pretty good shape" probably can't do it, while people who are in excellent shape probably can do it, but it still sucks).

This WOD is impossible for almost everybody, and that doesn't make sense to me. Yes, it can and should be scaled, in this case by, well... nearly everybody. But why make a WOD that 999 in 1000 people have to scale?

When you make a brutal WOD (think "linda", "heavy fran", "isabelle" or "mr. joshua") it gives average people something to strive for. Most won't be able to do it as Rx'd, but most affilliates will have SOMEBODY, probably a few people, who can. With this WOD, I doubt even the strongest guy at most affilliates can even do it, and that is disheartening. The few guys at the very, very top of the community don't need a workout specially designed for them, because they have already learned to modify CF for their own purposes and how to scale up.

but whatever... scale it and suck it up I guess!
Old 12-02-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

the 60lb DB is probably to offset the amount of assistance by using the second hand to grab the wrist of the one arm. you are still pulling with two arms, but it looks cooler.

I'm pretty sure it will be weird to kip that way, but not impossible.