CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-04-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
Josh Goldsmith

Profile:
I recently started playing soccer again (about 6months ago) and after every game i get really bad pains on the inside of my shins and ankles. The pain usually come about 1-2 days later after i play. Does this sound like shin splints? What can i do to make this pain go away besides rest. I only play on sundays. Could my shoes be the problem? What about the way i run? Any quick fixes? Thanks Josh
Old 04-04-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
Sean Manseau

Profile:
not a medical doctor or anything, but i've had plenty of problems with shinsplints, and it sounds like that's what you're dealing with. dunno about quickfixes, but here are a couple things you can do: take some ibuprofen before you exercise, and stretch out our calves and ankles both before (but very lightly and carefully) and after (more vigorously) your workouts. some people recommend resistance band exercises, or doing things like writing the alphabet in the air with your pointed toe, the idea being these will strengthen the muscles at the front of the leg. never did too much for me, though. shinsplints are a drag but they'll pass in time. good luck!
Old 04-04-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Shoes and running technique can certainly have a large impact on shin splints.

As far as care/prevention.
1st. If shin splints are bad you need to get off them. They are not an injury you can work through. Don't do anything that aggrevates them.

Do duck walks (walk on your heels with the balls of your feet off the floor. Squeeze your quads and anterior tibialis (muscle running up the outer front edge of your tibia). Do this regularly.

Stand with your on the edge of a curb, or step facing out and do reverse toe raisers.

These exercises will strengthen the affected muscles and improve their adhesion to the bone helping to prevent shin splints.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:28 PM   #4
Josh Goldsmith

Profile:
I will try to exercise those muscles by your methods. Until they are strong would a softer sole be of some help? I was thinking about buying a larger pair of soccer shoes and wearing 2 socks or adding a softer sole to help with the shock. Are these a waist of money or will these might help? Thanks for the quick responses!!!!! Josh
Old 04-05-2006, 09:16 AM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I think a larger shoe with extra socks would just destableize your foot and could lead to other problems. Just focus on improving your running technique and rehabbing your shins.

(Message edited by rogair on April 05, 2006)
Old 04-05-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
Lisa Sorbo

Profile:
here is a link to some information:
http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cy...hinsplints.htm

(Message edited by LisaS on April 05, 2006)
Old 04-05-2006, 10:07 PM   #7
Josh Goldsmith

Profile:
That link was great! I learned alot. The only thing is that they said the pain is in the lower inner shin but my is also in the upper part of the shin and they didn't say anything about the upper part of the shin. I noticed they said i should speak to a sports medicine doctor which i would like to but i do not have any insurance. What does a sports medicine doctor normally cost for an office visit? You all have been alot of help. I am going to be looking into getting some shock absorbing insoles to help with the shin splints. Thanks again. Josh
Old 04-06-2006, 08:18 PM   #8
Samantha Lewis

Profile:
Hi Josh,

I used to get shin splints really bad every netball season from the pounding when I ran, but for me it was a constant pain where I couldn't walk without suffering(4 hours of training every day)so I would apply IceGel during the day and then ice my shins every night and also do the whole tapping of the balls of my feet thing. Apparently the treatment depends on which type of shin splints you have whether it is the bone or the muscle so definitely get that checked out.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:06 PM   #9
Josh Goldsmith

Profile:
Hey samantha, did you ever get over your shin splints? By appling icegel during the day and then icing every night did that help? Thanks Josh
Old 04-07-2006, 03:18 AM   #10
Nikki Young

Profile:
I used to work with a guy who is a triple jumper, he un-fortunately suffered from shin-splints pretty often.. his treatment was rubbing voltaren gel on his shins then rapping his lower leg (calf/shin) with glad rap. He would apply more voltaren and glad rap during the day and night and swore by it.