CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-06-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
Jeff Arms

Profile:  
When I run alot or do sprints for 400 meters on a regular basis my shins kill me? Just curious what a fix would be so that this is not a reoccuring problem.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:53 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Duck walks. Walk around on your heels with your legs tight. Do this until your anterior tibalis fatigues.

Stand on your heels on a curb, point and flex your toes 40 or so times.

Do this stuff regularly and shin splints are a thing of the past. Proper running technique will help as well. But I'd have to see you run to judge that.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:52 PM   #3
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Don't forget to rest and ice as much as possible. I have shin-splints like nobody's business, and I attribute their severity to the fact that I didn't rest at first and instead just pushed through the pain and kept training. Now no amount of duck-walking, ice, compression or elevation will help, so I just have to keep the pain manageable, or just not run at all...bleh
Old 12-07-2005, 06:22 PM   #4
John de la Garza

Profile:
run barefoot, it will cause you to not land on your heel but on your balls slightly (almost flat but ball first)

I get shin splints almost instantly if I run with shoes and dont' make a consous effort to land the balls of my feet and not my heal

When barefooting it just seems natural and takes no effort to land without stricking your heal

landing straightlegged on the heal causes you to recieve a shock but when you land on the ball it uuses your calf to absorb the shock not the bones and front of the calf muscle which is much weaker (rightfully so) than the calf which I believe is designed for this
Old 12-10-2005, 02:13 PM   #5
Taeke de Jonge

Profile:  
Getting your running shoes checked regularly can solve problems. When technology was simpler sprinters used to have spikes that had very little dampening and this often led to some serious tibia problems.

For longer distances a retail seller advised gel instead of air. Shoes with air in the heel are less durable (so he said).

Getting shoes replaced in time can also prevent problems. A running shoe may look good on the outside but the cushioning function may not be optimal.

Making sure that your shoes is not to small or tight in the front is another issue. There needs to be sufficient space in the front of the shoe, so that the foot is free to slide forward when landing. This especially important on hard surfaces.

I used to jog with my brother in law with shoes ( a bit on the small size) that I bought in the sale. I ended up with serious shin splint. After taking rest and buying shoes one size larger the problem went away.