CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 12-25-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
Alexander Aldrich

Profile:
My Progress

To start off with I am gonna give you a brief back story. I got home from Iraq, 6 months ago now. The first 7 months of my time in country I spent every day doing hypertrophy style workouts and I went from 150 to 180. After that we switched to convoys and I gained another 10 lbs and lost a lot of muscle as I took all my free time to relax. I discovered www.rosstraining.com (W/F/S) and www.rossboxing.com (W/F/S) and picked up both of his books. Then I discovered about Gym Jones which led me to here.

When I got home I had a bunch of free time so I started piecing together a nice little garage gym and began working out throughout the day. Nothing planned or programmed. I would just go over and do a bunch of exercises and get a pretty decent sweat going and then do it again like 45 min to an hour later. Going over who knows how many times through the day.

After I got the gym the way it is now I started working out as more of an actual program mixing it up every night and running a lot more.

I worked out like that for about 3 months until school started getting a bit more hectic. But I have felt in better shape than ever even when not working out for awhile.

The past month I have been working out every other night but I have been hyper fixating on my Pull Ups, Dips, Abs and Run. I have also started playing around with the Rowing Machine after finding some basic instruction from some random guy that happened to row in college.

The other reason I have been limiting my workouts, even though I well know I could be doing a lot more is because I have been having a lot of recurring muscle and joint soreness related with a knee injury from Iraq and my busted back from regular 10 hour legs sitting in a truck with only a few chances to get out for two seconds to relieve yourself.

Anyways, to get to the good stuff. Here is my gym...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...DSC_0005-1.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8..._/DSC_0002.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8..._/DSC_0001.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...DSC_0003-1.jpg

Last Monday (17th) I worked out with my sister and her personal trainer, which was pretty sweet and it kicked my butt some fierce. In a good way. Afterwards I had her check my BF% with the little electronic pulse device and it said 5%... I was really not expecting anything below 10%.

Which leads me to another question... I am wondering if having that low of a BF% is going to affect my muscles ability to recover from workouts as quickly as they should. Is it possibly I have had a lot more of this residual soreness because of this?

Anyways, here is a before and after pic. I don't know how much I weighed in the before pic but it was probably 175-180. The after was taken yesterday and I am at 160, presumably still somewhere around 5%BF but I haven't worked out the past couple of days and I have been pigging out trying to gain a bit of weight.

Tell me what you think...

Before -

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...frontfull1.jpg
Old 12-25-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
Alexander Aldrich

Profile:
Re: My Progress

After-

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...ntitled-12.jpg
Old 12-27-2007, 02:30 AM   #3
Alexander Aldrich

Profile:

90 views and no posts? I demand opinions!
Old 12-27-2007, 02:37 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Last Monday (17th) I worked out with my sister and her personal trainer, which was pretty sweet and it kicked my butt some fierce. In a good way. Afterwards I had her check my BF% with the little electronic pulse device and it said 5%... I was really not expecting anything below 10%.
You're probably not 5% looking at your physique. Depending on how hydrated you are those things can be off by more than 5%...

Quote:
Which leads me to another question... I am wondering if having that low of a BF% is going to affect my muscles ability to recover from workouts as quickly as they should. Is it possibly I have had a lot more of this residual soreness because of this?
BF% has nothing to do with recovery. You're sore because you *probably* jumped into the workouts too fast without scaling and since your body was not used to the intensity your muscles are constantly sore. Soreness is generally a bad thing because it hinders workouts which is why scaling is important to ramp up the intensity so that you can work up to full WODs without getting much soreness.

Also, soreness can be an indicator of poor diet and lack of good sleep. But I don't know much about your diet and sleep schedule and therefore cannot comment on that. If the above isn't true, it's probably this.

Quote:
Anyways, here is a before and after pic. I don't know how much I weighed in the before pic but it was probably 175-180. The after was taken yesterday and I am at 160, presumably still somewhere around 5%BF but I haven't worked out the past couple of days and I have been pigging out trying to gain a bit of weight.
Not bad.. could be better with a bit more time. Pretty good on getting the BF% lower.

And there's your response.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
Alexander Aldrich

Profile:

Thanks for the words of advice Steven. Much appreciated.

How does my handstand look to you? I have only started working on it the past month or so, I didnt start using a door/wall to assist in working on holding it until last week but it has definatly helped a lot.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8..._/100_0671.jpg

Just now when I had this picture taken I did two pushups, my feet were against the door on the way down but were off the wall when I was coming up. I feel like I could have done a few more but I am still trying to let my body rest and start up again in the new year.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

1. Point your toes.

2. Tense your abs so your body is straight to get rid of that arch.

3. Active shoulders. Push your shoulders to your ears to open up the angle at the shoulder to make it straight.

4. Tuck the head in a bit. It should be either neutral or just barely out where you can barely see your hands in your peripheral vision. It's contributing to your arch.

Here's a more in depth look at it from Roger Harrell:
wfs
http://www.drillsandskills.com/article/19
Old 12-30-2007, 04:51 PM   #7
Alexander Aldrich

Profile:

Wow, some great info on that site. Thanks again Steven, I will keep working on it.