CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-04-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Michael Holmes

Profile:
Crossfit hurts!

just looking for other stories of people hurting themselves doing crossfit so i don't feel like quite so much of a clown!
during the rest day today i was fooling around with some beams in the gym at work doing dyno pull ups like in this month's crossfit journal from low to high and back down
they were about 24 inches apart (i'll check the distance on monday) and it was all going smoothly, 2 hand jumps and drops until i did a set of 3 and on the 3rd drop down my hands slid off the beam and i landed flat on my back on a tiled floor, my head, elbow and wrist took some impact too
it took me about 30 seconds to breathe in again!
i'll definately be putting a crash mat under me next time i do them!
Old 07-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
Keith Freeman

Profile:
Re: Crossfit hurts!

This post makes me wonder, with things like this, do we work on practicing the inevitable "fall" before we start doing things of this nature. I've been involved in an aikido like martial art for a long time (a martial art involving throws). Because of the nature of the art the FIRST thing we learn is how to fall from ANY position without getting hurt. Maybe a stop by some aikido guys would be helpful.

Don't feel silly, we all get hurt.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Re: Crossfit hurts!

Hello fellow aikidoka.
Yes, learning to fall is a skill that I think is very useful! I used it twice over the winter and definitely avoided injury.
No stories (yet) about injuries doing CF... but plenty of others in regular life!