CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-28-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Hello folks,

I swear, I can roll with a 260lb wrestler and get crushed but uninjured but doing a volleyball dig during warmup and I get a toe injury.

In looking at the web it appears to fit the description of turf toe. I think the big toe hyperextended during a lunge to reach a dig. I felt a stretching/grating type thing that felt like it was tendons or ligaments. It is swollen around the "big knuckle" of the big toe and sensitive. This is a small discoloration but not too much. Swelling is there but not outrageous. Of course since it happened a few hours ago it is quite painful.

I'm doing the ice/ibuprofen/elevate routine.

Beyond that does anyone have any suggestions and/or does it seem to be turf toe based on your experience.

How long will it likely take to:
1. not hurt
2. be able to walk normally
3. be able to do most crossfit type stuff(perhaps minus running and lunges for instance)
4. be able to do bjj again

I know exact numbers are impossible, but perhaps personal experiences or educated guesses would help me know what to expect.

Thanks...

howard
Old 03-28-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
Becca Borawski

Profile:
I used to break/dislocate my pinky toes all the time when I first started jiujitsu, and have messed some of the other toes up since then. In my experience, best thing you can do for is to tape it solidly to the next toe. My experience also was that they got better pretty quickly (like a week or so). It's going to feel better in your shoe than it will when you're barefoot, also.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:32 PM   #3
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Turf toe is miserable. It takes a long time to get better. Since its the big toe(1st MTP), you can't buddy tape it like you can other toes. The proper taping is much more complicated:
http://www.athleticadvisor.com/Injur...toe_taping.htm
Link to taping turf toe. I do it a little different, starting with the tape under the toe to limit extension.

Also, turf toe is usually a repetitive type injury. Since yours is an acute injury, more like a dislocation or sprain, it might actually get better faster. Or slower. It depends on the degree of injury.

Ultrasound and e-stim could speed up the healing as well.