CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-25-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Russell D Wells

Profile:
Oh Crud!!!

I just signed up on Fitday so I can get a handle on my daily food intake, as well as food quality.

I put in my profile that my activity level was mostly seated with some activity, because I do not stand at work, but I do not just sit on my a** either. I also added in circuit training with minimal rest because this mornings WOD was all body weight stuff.

According to Fitday, I have consumed 1,286 calories so far for the day. Fit Day says that I have burned 3,052 calories.

That is a big time deficit!

No wonder I can't gain any weight.....

It breaks down like this:

Grams/Cals/%-Cals

Calories 1,286

Fat 64.7 563 44%

Sat. 14.9 131 10%

Polyun. 19.6 169 13%

Monoun.25.5 222 17%

Carbs 122.0 472 37%

Dietary Fiber 6.5

Protein 60.6 250 19%

Alcohol 0.0 0 0%

Any thoughts? I know eat more!!!, But I'm not hungry.

Last edited by Russell D Wells : 07-25-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
Zane Jones

Profile:
Re: Oh Crud!!!

There's a whole half a day left... keep eating..

you can do it!

Try eating higher calorie foods... so if you drink skim milk, start buying whole, etc...
Old 07-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
Shane Jensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell D Wells View Post

If you're serious about gaining weight whether or not you're "hungry" is irrelevant.

Eat.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

I am eating one pound of ground beef and an avocado right now. What are you eating?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell D Wells View Post
I used to count calories, but now I realize it was a waste of time.

If you want to gain weight, eat so that you're never ever hungry. And then once per day eat so much that you can't eat anymore. And eat more fatty foods since they are denser.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

If you're trying to gain weight, don't count calories. Waste of time, waste of energy. Eat and eat a lot.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
Russell D Wells

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
I am eating one pound of ground beef and an avocado right now. What are you eating?

Well:

Actually for lunch I had about a half pound of ground beef, about 40z. of chicken breast, 1 cup of Green Beans, 1 med sweet potato, 1 cup of broccoli florets, 2 oz. of carrots.

Some of you guys say don't count calories.

Before I did this, I could not have told you what I consumed in a day. I was kind of shocked at what I came up with.

I have not gained any weight since starting CF, and I have settled down to a weight of 160 lbs, and I have not gotten any heavier than 165lbs. My strengths have improved, but as I stated in the weakness post, I feel like I am lacking in the overhead movements (Thanks for the tips Tamara).

I know, I am upper 40's so deal with it, I am not like that though. I am competitive as hell and want to continually improve. This morning, I ran out of gas half way through the body weight WOD. I did get a decent nights sleep, I ate what I normally ate pre-WOD which was 2-chicken breasts, guacamole, and coffee.

In my mind, more food equals more muscle. I guess it also comes down to the type of food. I have heard from more than one person about eating more fat.

I did the Whole9 30 day challenge, and I am still kind of adhering to it now. I sometimes wonder if that is the reason for me not improving as fast as I think I should, or if it is the age thing also.

I appreciate the input guys, I am just trying to get a handle on this so I can improve.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
David Meverden

Profile:

It's time for you to stop eating paleo.

Paleo is great for several things, but gaining weight is not one of them. For instance, it's a lot easier to down a big plate of greasy stir fry if it's on a pile of white rice. And burrito filings disappear into your stomach a lot faster if they are wrapped in a 400 kcal tortilla. If you feel better without gluten or dairy I'm not saying you need to add those back in, but find the grains you can eat and use them.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
Christine Parry

Profile:

One thing about FitDay: for some ridiculous reason, the activity level you enter is the level FitDay assumes you're at all day. 24 hours a day.

It doesn't factor in sleep.

I use DailyPlate now (I got fed up with FitDay), but when I was using FitDay I would put my activity level as "bedrest" and add all my workouts in. You can add "sleeping" as an activity if you want to keep your activity level as it is now. In general, take whatever number FitDay gives you with a grain of salt.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

I'm with Shane counting calories blows just eat. However it sounds like you dont have a handle on how much your consuming so perhaps using fitday for a week will help you understand how much you need to be eating. Struggling to gain weight in my opinion is a much better problem to have than struggling to lose it though so congratulations and good luck!