CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #21
Brandon Sligh

Profile:
Re: Whole Grain? Is it healthier than not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Not trying to "come at you", you just seem to not have a good grasp on your target audience here (your question about "ab work" in another thread makes this equally obvious). The vast majority of posters here eat either paleo or "clean", which means almost exclusively foods that have not been processed or minimally processed, and no added sweetners/sugars. For most of us, eating foods with added sweetners, soy, or canola oil (or bread for that matter, for most of us) would be a rare exception to our standard diet and not simply an accepted reality as you seem to see it.
I am pretty sure I asked about ab work because it had something to do with body fat. So are you going to sit here right now and tell me that ab work does not have an affect on body fat?

Alright, I did not know that majority people on this forum do not eat anything with added sweeteners. Next time I will not suggest that then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Chason View Post
Call me a troll, then, because Nature Valley bars are definetly not good for you.. Especially with the hundreds and hundreds of easy, inexpensive, and available alternatives posted on these very boards.

It is not a knock on your IQ, but your arguments are not very well supported
If this is the case, please tell me all the alternatives to eating oats and honey bars from them. I would like to know so I can look them up myself and compare because I am a track and field athlete, so I would like to see something that is going to improve my diet. Also, providing the same carbs/whole grain that I need as an athlete. If you so, I would appreciate it.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #22
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Sligh View Post
So are you going to sit here right now and tell me that ab work does not have an affect on body fat?
Direct abdominal exercise has no difference whatsoever on bodyfat levels in comparison to other forms of exercise such as squats, swimming, or pushups.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #23
David Z Sachs

Profile:

Why do you need whole grains? Good sources of carbs can be found in a huge variety of fruits/vegetables...and you gain the benefit of not eating an extremely processed bar. Sure, if you're an endurance athlete running for hours on end then you may need some easy nutrition but I'd gander that you could find a much more nutritionally dense product than what you are currently using.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #24
Brandon Sligh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Direct abdominal exercise has no difference whatsoever on bodyfat levels in comparison to other forms of exercise such as squats, swimming, or pushups.
Could I see an article or something to prove this please? I would love to learn about this. Thank you for this.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #25
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
If this is the case, please tell me all the alternatives to eating oats and honey bars from them. I would like to know so I can look them up myself and compare because I am a track and field athlete, so I would like to see something that is going to improve my diet. Also, providing the same carbs/whole grain that I need as an athlete. If you so, I would appreciate it.
Fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds are all great snacks. Since you seem to have your mind set on packaged foods though, a great replacement for your Nature Valley bar, would be a Lara Bar, same amount of carbs none of the icky added sweetners or junk. At most these have 3-5 ingredients all of which are just blended dried fruits and nuts.
http://www.larabar.com/products/ (wfs)

As far as "ab work", yes it may make your abdominal muscles more visible due to hypertrophy, but does ABSolutely nothing to lean out the fat surrounding your abs (hence the saying "abs are made in the kitchen") beyond the fact that workouts of any type burn calories.. doing doing targetted muscle group work is also somewhat contradictory to the principles of crossfit, which prioritizes a full body workout and tends to consider targetting muscle groups to be inferior methodology.

Last edited by Rebecca Roth : 07-19-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #26
Greg Pellegrini

Profile:

Quote:

obviously all carbs are sugar, do you think I am a complete idiot?
Quote:
All carbohydrate is sugar, so regardless of what type of bread you are eating, its going to be made up of sugar.
mmm technically that isn't correct. Carbohydrates are an organic compound that include sugar. A sugar is ususally either a disaccharide or monosaccaride. For instance sucrose (table sugar) is a disaccharide made up of the monosaccharides glucose and fructose. Carbohydrates can also be in the form of polysaccharides like starch, chitin, cellulose, and glycogen. These complex polysaccharides are broken down into their simpler monosaccharide components (like glucose) inside the body. Glucose is used as an energy source in our bodies in processes like aerobic respiration, anaerobic respiration, and fermentation. Fat is also eventually broken down to glucose to be used as fuel. It is first broken down into glycerol and fatty acids. The glycerol is broken down into glucose by the liver and then can be used as a fuel source.

Hope you learned something
Old 07-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #27
Brandon Sligh

Profile:

Quote:
Fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds are all great snacks. Since you seem to have your mind set on packaged foods though, a great replacement for your Nature Valley bar, would be a Lara Bar, same amount of carbs none of the icky added sweetners or junk. At most these have 3-5 ingredients all of which are just blended dried fruits and nuts.
http://www.larabar.com/products/ (wfs)

As far as "ab work", yes it may make your abdominal muscles more visible due to hypertrophy, but does ABSolutely nothing to lean out the fat surrounding your abs (hence the saying "abs are made in the kitchen") beyond the fact that workouts of any type burn calories.. doing doing targetted muscle group work is also somewhat contradictory to the principles of crossfit, which prioritizes a full body workout and tends to consider targetting muscle groups to be inferior methodology.
I will check out the larabars and send you a message in the future about them. Thanks for the information about ab work, because I did not know that it does nothing for body fat. I will go back to delete my other post because I do not want to steer that person in the wrong direction. I guess I thought it did because I do them to strengthen my core as a runner.

I actually do eat fruits, but sometimes I cannot get a hand on them so this is why I eat these bars. They are just easier for me to eat in class when I am trying to get something in my system for practice later on in the day. I tend to not eat too heavy before practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pellegrini View Post
mmm technically that isn't correct. Carbohydrates are an organic compound that include sugar. A sugar is ususally either a disaccharide or monosaccaride. For instance sucrose (table sugar) is a disaccharide made up of the monosaccharides glucose and fructose. Carbohydrates can also be in the form of polysaccharides like starch, chitin, cellulose, and glycogen. These complex polysaccharides are broken down into their simpler monosaccharide components (like glucose) inside the body. Glucose is used as an energy source in our bodies in processes like aerobic respiration, anaerobic respiration, and fermentation. Fat is also eventually broken down to glucose to be used as fuel. It is first broken down into glycerol and fatty acids. The glycerol is broken down into glucose by the liver and then can be used as a fuel source.

Hope you learned something
Lol the funny thing is I am a chemistry major, and I have learned about this. I completely forgot about it honestly and should have never made a claim saying all Carbs are sugar and vice versa. Thank you for reteaching me this because I really forgot. I learned something.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #28
Greg Pellegrini

Profile:

No worries, we all have our moments. I was just worried you were dead-set on the idea that carbs = sugar. I've met several soccer moms who thought this and spent too much time trying to re-educate them.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #29
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

I'm not arguing that there is a difference between processed sweetners or table sugar and carbohydrate (all conventional sugars are a carbohydrate, all carbohydrate are not conventional sugars), but inherently (and the word "saccharide" tells you this) carbohydrate is broken down to sugar within the body, there's nothing wrong or negative about that.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #30
Brandon Sligh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pellegrini View Post
No worries, we all have our moments. I was just worried you were dead-set on the idea that carbs = sugar. I've met several soccer moms who thought this and spent too much time trying to re-educate them.
Nope I just forgot for a second lol. If that was the case I would drink cans of soda before practice.