CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
Max Samuel

Profile:
Need some help with my diet

Hey guys,
I wanted to ask you about my diet because I'm trying to get a little more cut in the lower-ab area, but cannot follow paleo strictly due to my lifestyle. Basically, I'm a college student living with 5 guys and sometimes have to defer to eating lunch at a sandwich place (bread! nooooo!) or stuff like that. I was wondering if you guys might provide some realistic recommendations for how to accompany my diet/exercise routine so I can maintain/increase strength while shedding a little bit of midsection. Thanks for your help!
Diet/schedule (typical of most days):
10 AM breakfast:
2-3 eggs with chopped onion, spinach and a little cheese--cooked in a little olive oil,
11 AM CrossFit workout (try not to puke)
130 PM lunch. Try as much as possible to eat a meat-based healthy dish at home, but as the fridge thins out meat sandwiches at potbelly or something similar can take its place.
3 PM 1.5 scoops whey protein with 2% milk, ice and some fruit (a banana and some blueberries, usually) in a smoothie
4-6 PM handful of almonds if getting hungry (running sprints/avg. 3 miles works in this time frame about 3 days a week)
7-8 PM dinner: usually a chicken breast or similar sized lean cut beef with brown rice, vegetables
8-1 AM-handful of almonds if hungry, bed at 2 AM
I realize my meal descriptions aren't too specific, which is because I haven't really been too focused on recording the exact number and amount of everything I eat (plus I don't have the patience, props to you guys for the dedication). Anyway, any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Need some help with my diet

To lose weight, eat less of whatever you're eating.

However, college guys who "want to get more cut" often have things going on that aren't immediately clear in their first posts.

* They're really just scrawny, and should go lift heavy things and eat for six months to a year before thinking about teh abz.

* Their diet is fine, except for the massive weekend beer consumption.

* They're training too hard without eating or sleeping enough, and have cortisol-related excess fat storage as a result.

Katherine
Old 07-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
Michael Dries

Profile:

Katherine is dead on as usual but I'd add a question...

Why are you having protein and fruit (which sounds a lot like a good post workout meal) at 3pm rather than immediately after you workout?
Old 07-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Max Samuel

Profile:

I realize that using that phrase (getting cut) probably raises some eyebrows, but my priorities are definitely increasing all components of my strength first and foremost; that's why I chose CF in the first place. I'm just wondering if I can upgrade my daily routine from a nutritional standpoint, given that the constraints on my daily life/personal choices don't allow me to follow a truly paleo diet. When you talk about cortisol induced stress, how much exactly is overtraining? I think I am pretty "normal" in doing crossfit 3-4 days consecutively before an off day, as well as taking a full week off approximately every 6 weeks. Thanks again.
Max
Old 07-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
Max Samuel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
Katherine is dead on as usual but I'd add a question...

Why are you having protein and fruit (which sounds a lot like a good post workout meal) at 3pm rather than immediately after you workout?
I think I do this because I follow my workout with lunch, which has more natural sources of protein from real food. The shake is really to combat hunger and add more protein to my daily intake.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #6
Tony Sutton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Samuel View Post
I realize that using that phrase (getting cut) probably raises some eyebrows, but my priorities are definitely increasing all components of my strength first and foremost; that's why I chose CF in the first place. I'm just wondering if I can upgrade my daily routine from a nutritional standpoint, given that the constraints on my daily life/personal choices don't allow me to follow a truly paleo diet. When you talk about cortisol induced stress, how much exactly is overtraining? I think I am pretty "normal" in doing crossfit 3-4 days consecutively before an off day, as well as taking a full week off approximately every 6 weeks. Thanks again.
Max
You also said you run three days a week. Is this in addition to the 3-4 wods?
Old 07-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
Max Samuel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Sutton View Post
You also said you run three days a week. Is this in addition to the 3-4 wods?
Yep. Usually 4-5 hours after the WOD, on days when they are pretty short.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Samuel View Post
Yep. Usually 4-5 hours after the WOD, on days when they are pretty short.
All that running isn't going to help you get stronger, and it could definitely lead to cortisol issues depending on some other factors.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

If you want abs, suck it up, and change your personal choices/lifestyle. It's really THAT simple.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
If you want abs, suck it up, and change your personal choices/lifestyle. It's really THAT simple.
Shhh, must keep it a secret....