CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
Adam Spang

Profile:
Re: Critique my diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Reid View Post
Are you trying to get bigger or smaller?
Always kind of thought 195-200 would be good, (currently ~205-207 at 6ft tall). So I'm not really looking to "get smaller", but maybe trimming is a better term since I don't want to lose muscle mass...
Old 05-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Chew your food. If it has an ingredients list, don't put it in your mouth. Don't make things so complicated for yourself. Eat less often. Make your meals big enough with enough meat and eggs so you don't have to eat like a herbivore every 3 waking hours. Once you have that dialed in, you'll snack less often. Ditch the fruit and nuts until you've gotten to your desired leanness.

That candy and the alcohol do certainly add up. The candy alone is about two pounds of body fat a month, and maybe more for you. The booze is again as much.

Start with that and check back with us in a month.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
Adam Spang

Profile:

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Basically the most glaring problems here is the candy/booze/protein drinks. And after actually writing out my food intake, I can definitely see the imbalance.

Will try to increase meats, veggies, fruits, and will definitely ditch the liquid foods....

But what's this about less fruit and nuts until I get to my target weight? Thought those were good snack foods....
Old 05-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #14
Craig Doran

Profile:

You do not necessarily need to ditch the whey protein shakes if they are helping you recover and build muscle. People recommend less fruit and nuts because although fruit is great for you, it still has sugar. Nuts are very easy to go over board on regarding calorie intake. If you implement both sparingly in your diet you should be fine, but reducing them significantly will help with leaning out.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #15
Adam Spang

Profile:

UPDATE:

Since my originial posting I have taken some of these tips and incorporated them into my everyday, all with great success...

Major changes and such:
-Ditched the candy (I was having a few mini-reeses cups per day, then it was pointed out that they can add up to 1,000+ extra calories per week)

-Ditched the daily protein shake snack and lunchtime shake. I replaced the snack with an apple and almonds and now just have water with lunch. I really only use a protein shake after a morning workout w/ breakfast or when I'm feeling run down after a string of consecutive workouts.

-Replaced my PWO myoplex protein shake with a "Reduced fat" chocolate milk.

-Eating more quality, real foods overall. I might have a little too much fruit in my diet, but no one has gotten fat from eating too much fruit.

-Have not given up the drinking on weekends, though I have definitely limited my "nights out" to just one a week (instead of going out both friday and saturday, which was rare to begin with).

-I definitely have my cheating moments (There seems like there is always cake at work for someone's birthday, grabbing meals on the run with friends since I'll never deny myself pizza, etc...)

A couple weeks ago I clocked in at 197, down about 7 pounds from the beginning of June. This is right where I want to be, since I think between 195-200 is solid for being 24yrs old and 6'0"....

So thanks everyone!