CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-07-2006, 03:44 PM   #1
Erik Blas

Profile:
I'm 5'11" and at 255lbs. When I first started CF last year in june I was @ 280-285lbs. So seen alot of improvement, but in the last 3 months I've just not seen any shift into better numbers so to speak.

I work a night job, so hard for me to do anything but go to the gym when I wake up late in the day. I take the stairs always, park the farthest I can from my building, heck even bang out 10 dips on my desk whenever I get up for something. I drink alot of water.

I know my weakest link right now is likely my diet. Unforuntately I can't afford to shell out the $25 for the zone book, so I try to eye ball meals based off of what I read from searches and the like, but I know I'm missing something cuz I'm just not improving.

Kind of getting a bit depressing. Any advice and help would be much appreciated.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:13 PM   #2
Tim McFarland

Profile:
I found "Enter the Zone" and "Master the Zone" at the library. Plus, you can probably get them used cheaply on amazon.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #3
Mike Minium

Profile:
Erik,

Besides Tim's good suggestions, why not get the CFJ devoted to the Zone and Meal Plans, CFJ 21?

It covers everything you need to know and will cost you $5.

Mike

Old 04-07-2006, 04:41 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Erik,
Your night shift work is likely getting in the way of your progress. I understand you may not be able to or desire to change that fact. This is a real issue, however, in cortisol rhythms and the body's perception of "stress".
Old 04-07-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
Lisa Sorbo

Profile:
how are you sleeping? and I mean 1) are you getting enough sleep and 2) are you able to sleep in a REALLY DARK room? I've worked nights (well, swing 3-11:30) and though you CAN sleep in a regular room after the sun is up - it is much much better to make sure you are sleeping in the DARK.

Also - are you making sure to be outside in the light sometime each day? I know when I worked swing I was almost never outside in the light unless it was driving to work or on days off. You need to have your body and your eyes and your skin in sunlight if you can for at least some of the day. You are in Florida it says, so winter is not an excuse.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:20 PM   #6
Bob Walter

Profile:
I bought Mastering the Zone off of Amazon used in excellent condition for $0.58 plus shipping. thats less than $5 total to your door.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:32 PM   #7
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
You're stuck because you are eating too much. You have lost 30 lbs and probably have not adjusted your diet for your slower metabolism.

You don't need the zone book. You can go to zoneperfect website, calculate your bodyfat percentage and how many blocks you need.

http://www.zoneperfect.com/site/content/calculator.asp

Read the lessons if you want more info.

http://www.zoneperfect.com/site/cont...e.asp?offset=0

Then if it is working for you, invest in the literature.

(Message edited by cjackson on April 07, 2006)
Old 04-07-2006, 06:06 PM   #8
Ronnie Ashlock

Profile:
Erik, brother, I feel your pain. You need to give it time. You are doing the right thing, and you are getting results, but you need to adhere to the long, life-time view. I'm definitely speaking from experience here.

When I decided to take control of my fitness, I had a long road ahead of me. In late 1996, I was 25, 240-ish pounds, eating junk and had never consistently exercised. Basically, I was your typical fat American slob. I decided to get busy and not give up, no matter what. Started running to lose the weight. Couldn't do a half-mile without almost passing out, initially, but kept at it. Slowly began peeling off the pounds and more importantly, gaining the capacity to move long distances without blacking out. I plateaued on the weight loss fairly quickly even though I was much more capable than I had ever been.

Eventually, I figured out my diet was hurting me and about that time I stumbled on Atkins. Keep in mind, at the time, fitness was not my goal. Raw weight loss was what I was after. Getting my carb consumption under control helped immensely, and about that time I began slacking off on the running due to a knee injury. I still lost a lot of weight just because of the dietary changes - and that put another piece of the puzzle into place. By now, I was two years into getting into shape and things were definitely improving. I got back on the track (literally), and coupled with conscious diet changes, I really, really began to see results. But here's the kicker: It took absolute discipline -- I mean angering family and friends because I absolutely refused to eat certain foods. I was called a "party pooper," was accused of wrecking my kidneys because I elimated bread, potatoes, rice and sugar from diet (the same tired complaints people have thrown at Atkins for years). I got the derisive, "You'll quit it eventually!" remarks. Etc. etc. It took learning to completely re-calibrate my entire outlook on life, myself, my goals. Everything. And I had to own it completely. It was up to me and no one else and that's why I just said "No" to all the junk food thrown at me. And on top of it, I had to physically make myself do the work, log the miles. I got rid of TV. I got rid of time-wasting unhealthy distractions. It was hard, but I began to notice something: I was changing (improving in almost everyway) but the people around me languished in poor health and obesity because of the choices they made. I just kept trying to make good choices.

About three years ago, when I was 31, after adhering to Atkins religiously and working up to 7-miles of running 7-days a week, I weighed in at about 155 lbs. I'm 5'10-ish and I was super, super thin. I'd show people pictures of me when I was a tub and they didn't believe it was me. But I was weak as a kitten.

Started working out with weights with a buddy and subsequently began to roll-in the right kind of carbs, subsequently approximating a more Zone-ish diet. Then found the CF methodology and really saw results. I never thought I'd be a fanatic about this stuff but I live and breathe to clean and jerk, snatch, row, and do pull-ups. Diet is no longer a problem. I still get the comments, about both fitness and diet, and I handle them the same way. Basically, I ignore the people who aren't doing anything and listen to the people who are.

It's taken the better part of a decade to get where I am. I'm no superstar in the fitness world, but I'm proud of what I've accomplished. I've had my ups and downs as every single person on this board has had. All I'm saying, bro, is don't ever give up. Take a break if you need it, but don't take a long one. Focus, focus, focus.

You will get there. "Just keep showing up."
Old 04-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #9
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:
listen ive read hundreds of articles, just take in no more than 30grams of carbs per sitting to lose weight, it is very complicated but this is short, very uncomplicated non detailed advice plus, no saturated fats and high proteon levels help, think...we eat on average around 60 grams a sitting alot of the time. the hard part is maintaining alot of muscle while losing fat cause carbs makes your muscles fuller. see carbs are needed or you will go into ketosis (very bad) but just cut them way back and read labels. carbs are energy, unburned energy stores as waist(fat) its alot more complicated i will explain in detail if you request it. knowledge is poower.there is alot to know but this might help you start.www.bodybuilding.com if you want the sciences for free.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #10
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
Erik, check out this post by Nicole on how to do the Zone. It is enough to get you started once you figure out how many blocks you need. Use that calorie counter to figure out your blocks or get ahold of crossfit journal #21

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/7772.html