CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-06-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
Parker Gates

Profile:
I travel a lot and find myself on planes, in hotels, and around crappy food all the time.
Is it better to eat that cookie during my afternoon break or just skip it and wait till dinner (Zone meal)? Or when I have a choice between something less than desireable and nothing...what do I do?
Old 03-06-2006, 02:05 PM   #2
Peter Queen

Profile:
A packet of rice cakes or an organic granola bar is something you can keep in your briefcase and they are a lot healthier than a cookie. If you are at a business convention,seminar,hotel meeting room or something like that, I am sure that the foods served at break/lunch time might include some fresh veggies. Grab a few extras and put them in a napkin or ask the kitchen staff for some foil. Then put the veggies in your hotel refrigerator if one is provided. You'll have some healthy snacks to munch on later. Just my 2c.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #3
Paul Findley

Profile:
When pressed for time try the bars with protein emphasis, e.g. Zone "Perfect". With some more planning beef jerky/fruit/nuts. Just this past week while traveling, I was scarfing fat free cottage cheese in my rental car. I am also getting used to ordering "off the menu", just pretend your a demanding Hollywood producer with Diabetes.

(Message edited by paul on March 06, 2006)
Old 03-06-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
Jason Billows

Profile:
I always have a zone perfect bar handy for those times I have difficulties getting a non processed zone meal.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
Steve Liberati

Profile:
When in a pinch, protein shakes with flax/olive or almonds are the way to go. Just remember to bring all ingredients with you beforehand:-) Then just add water.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
Jesse Woody

Profile:
As for the original question, if you absolutely have no other choice (which you don't have an excuse for, considering all the other great suggestions) I would say it depends on your goals, but that it would be better to go a couple of extra hours without eating rather than eating crap. If you're on a plane, you SHOULD be able to at least get some peanuts, which are pretty neutral, as far as a quick snack goes.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:31 AM   #7
Nikki Young

Profile:
Definatly pack something with you, small packets of nuts are a good option, snacking on some almonds or walnuts are much better than a cookie, and if you make it a ritual, of packing nuts then you won't find yourself in a 'cookie' situation too often.

I don't agree with snacking on rice cakes though.. As soon as things start 'puffing up' the GI sky-rockets. Rice cakes have one of the highest (if not the highest) GI out of all foods. Cornflakes have a higher GI than a mars bar. Plus, if you purchase rice cakes that are made from white rice, the nutritional value is absolutely nill.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:03 AM   #8
Peter Queen

Profile:
So Nikki, how does one tell if rice cakes were or were not made from white rice?
Old 03-07-2006, 08:35 AM   #9
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
I think you should wait until you have dinner and give the cookie to me. :biggrin:

Seriously, one cookie doesn't matter. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:52 AM   #10
Parker Gates

Profile:
Alright, so I'll skip the cookie (or other junkfood) and wait if nothing else is available.
My concern is that I probably don't follow the Zone close enough to really skimp anymore than I already do. If every meal was Zone perfect then I might not worry about it.
And yes,I now know that I have no excuses!
Thanks for all the feedabck!!!