CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #61
Charles Golden

Profile:
Re: 2013 Open, Regionals and Games Thread

[quote=Robert Keefe;1122492]1. I think the first WOD is going to be the same as last year 7 min of burpees, just have a feeling.

2. Does anyone think that affiliates are recruiting athletes for their respected teams?[/QUOTE]

Are there dishonest people out there who will break the rules in an attempt to gain an advantage? Sure there are. There's always a few bad apples but they're the minority.
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 01-08-2013, 02:15 AM   #62
David Alexander

Profile:

I don't think there is anything dishonest about recruiting athletes to join your gym. As long as they do more than half their workouts at the gym that they plan on teaming up with, they qualify to be on that team.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #63
Charles Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alexander View Post
I don't think there is anything dishonest about recruiting athletes to join your gym. As long as they do more than half their workouts at the gym that they plan on teaming up with, they qualify to be on that team.
It all depends. The rules leave enough wiggle room to recruit people only for the "games season." It doesn't specify that how long they have to do "half their workouts at the gym."

I guess it doesn't really hurt the community but what's to stop a gym from "recruiting" other fire breathers from neighboring gyms with the incentive of free membership during the Games season and then afterwards the peeps can either stay there or go back to their home gym?
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 01-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #64
Jeff Binek

Profile:

Most true gym owners want A. to feel the accomplishment and pride of sending people that have been loyal, faithful and hard-working within the confines of their own doors. B. To send folks who represent their affiliate both in attitude and work-ethic, and C. to keep the respect of their every-day gym goers.

I know for a fact that if we were to 'recruit' people, that would in turn take the place of hard-working folks that have been loyal enough to train 5-6 days/week with us in prep for competition season, there would be some seriously unhappy people. Moreover, I would never, ever, want an outsider to represent my gym. Lastly, I want my group to represent a year of my own programming, to see if we are accurately challenging our competitors enough to stay ahead of the competition curve. Anyone not abiding by these same qualities would not have a long term successful gym (in my personal opinion). As your attitude goes towards competition, so it goes as a gym towards your regular members. Reward hard work and loyalty.
My Numbers: 6'2" 225lbs: DL 565, BS 455, FS 400, Clean 330, Jerk 325, C&J 325, Snatch 250, Fran: 2:27, Helen: 6:43
Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #65
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Binek View Post
Most true gym owners want A. to feel the accomplishment and pride of sending people that have been loyal, faithful and hard-working within the confines of their own doors. B. To send folks who represent their affiliate both in attitude and work-ethic, and C. to keep the respect of their every-day gym goers.

I know for a fact that if we were to 'recruit' people, that would in turn take the place of hard-working folks that have been loyal enough to train 5-6 days/week with us in prep for competition season, there would be some seriously unhappy people. Moreover, I would never, ever, want an outsider to represent my gym. Lastly, I want my group to represent a year of my own programming, to see if we are accurately challenging our competitors enough to stay ahead of the competition curve. Anyone not abiding by these same qualities would not have a long term successful gym (in my personal opinion). As your attitude goes towards competition, so it goes as a gym towards your regular members. Reward hard work and loyalty.
Great post
Old 01-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #66
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Binek View Post
Most true gym owners want A. to feel the accomplishment and pride of sending people that have been loyal, faithful and hard-working within the confines of their own doors. B. To send folks who represent their affiliate both in attitude and work-ethic, and C. to keep the respect of their every-day gym goers . . . Reward hard work and loyalty.
I workout in my backyard and have been dropping in occasionally to the box my wife has been going to. Their team is chomping at the bit to make a run for regionals this year and part of me wishes they would ask me to start working out at their gym to join their team (I would improve their chances and I miss the camaraderie) but exactly these kinds of issues occurred to me. What if the team made it to regionals and I bumped someone off the team who's been a hard working member of the gym for 2 years? That would be ****ty thing to do to someone. I think most people in this community (not everyone I suppose) feel this way.

P.S. Great post, Jeff.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #67
Michael Kelley

Profile:

I know I'm in the minority, but I thought the burpeeswho WoD was great. Simple, do-able by anyone pretty much anywhere, and one hell of a mental grind for 7 minutes. If you've been doing the "Ultimate Sacrifice Challenge," then you are prepared for this.

Anyway, my guess is a repeat of 11.1. Didn't HQ foreshadow that a few weeks ago?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #68
Shelby Duncan

Profile:

Okay, so question.
We have an athelete who has been training at our box for a year now, he is moving to another city next week. We want to make a team with him being a member of it, is that still legal if he is on our team? he will back to train with us on weekends.
Who could I contact to ask this?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:41 AM   #69
David Alexander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby Duncan View Post
Okay, so question.
We have an athelete who has been training at our box for a year now, he is moving to another city next week. We want to make a team with him being a member of it, is that still legal if he is on our team? he will back to train with us on weekends.
Who could I contact to ask this?
The rules say that more than half of his workouts (starting from Jan 1st of this year) have to be done at the gym he wants to compete with. So, unless he only trains 3 times a week, than answer is no.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #70
Shelby Duncan

Profile:

Ah, alright, well that solves that.

Back to open topic.
I have a feeling pistols will be in this years open, towards the end of it.