CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
Dan Mandini

Profile:
Expanding beyond CrossFit

I'm looking to take my gym to the next level and expand beyond just the regular crossfit classes like offering wellness services, corporate plans, etc. Are there any gyms out there that already do this?
Old 10-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Expanding beyond CrossFit

Like?

We offer chiropractic, rehab, and massage therapy at our affiliate; and help affiliates, or place chiropractors either in affiliates, or to open an affiliate in conjunction with their office.

We also offer Olympic Lifting classes. There are offered by top coaches(more than CF Olympic Lifting cert, and not someone that got their USAW cert last year). It is open to members and non-members for a separate fee.

I know some offer yoga classes, others have incorporated power lifting, and/or Olympic Lifting clubs.

It can be done effectively, I would suggest not adding too much too soon, or adding other services that are not congruent with your message. Also, you need to be sure that each instructor you add does not talk negatively about any services provided by anyone at your facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Mandini View Post
I'm looking to take my gym to the next level and expand beyond just the regular crossfit classes like offering wellness services, corporate plans, etc. Are there any gyms out there that already do this?
Old 10-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Damon Stewart

Profile:

We offer 3x week Oly coaching from the top coach in the state, speed and agility training for athletes, and a Paleo-meds solution. We have added each slowly and deliberately. We also sublease space to a masseuse.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
Tommy Alfinito

Profile:

We do a yoga class. It can be a big hit or miss depending on the week, but the yoga instructor does crossfit with us now and she understands how we are. I wish I could get everyone to do it because everyone always remarks how great their squats feel the whole week after doing it.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Chris Cooper

Profile:

Hey Dan!

We operate with a stratified model - base CrossFit rate is lower to help the new member over the 'hump.' Then they can purchase add-ons, like Open Gym time, for $40 per month, or specialty programming streams for another $40 per month, etc. Does that help?