CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Om Puri
Member Om Puri is offline
 
Om Puri's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver  BC Canada
Posts: 235
KB swing vs cable pull thru

What's the difference in terms of muscles used? Do both work the posterior chain similarly?
__________________
5'8" 165# 38 y.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
Frances Ballesteros
Member Frances Ballesteros is offline
 
Frances Ballesteros's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Madrid  Spain
Posts: 774
Re: KB swing vs cable pull thru

http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/th...verhead-squat/ (wfs except some language)
__________________
I love eating
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Robert Fabsik
Member Robert Fabsik is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kildeer  IL
Posts: 2,233
Re: KB swing vs cable pull thru

Good article post.

Maybe I wasn't doing them right, but I never got anything out of pull throughs.

If you really want to get some low back/hip work, do banded KB swings.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
Matt Thomas
Banned Matt Thomas is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Orlando  FL
Posts: 3,648
Re: KB swing vs cable pull thru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Good article post.

Maybe I wasn't doing them right, but I never got anything out of pull throughs.

If you really want to get some low back/hip work, do banded KB swings.
How do you accomplish banded kettlebell swings?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Robert Fabsik
Member Robert Fabsik is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kildeer  IL
Posts: 2,233
Re: KB swing vs cable pull thru

First, I just take them to parallel to the ground--Russian Swings instead of the typicall CF American Swing all the way overhead. I worry that at the top the band would really pull akwardly (whihc may be good for strength) but too risky.

I've done them two ways, one is to choke a band low around a post, then I place the band around the horn of the bell. Then swing away.

You can also get in your swing stance, stand on the band with the band coming outside your feet, twist or place the the band on the bell and swing away. Go lite at first to get a hand for it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
Om Puri
Member Om Puri is offline
 
Om Puri's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver  BC Canada
Posts: 235
Re: KB swing vs cable pull thru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Good article post.

Maybe I wasn't doing them right, but I never got anything out of pull throughs.

If you really want to get some low back/hip work, do banded KB swings.
I was also underwhelmed by pull throughs until I first did some glute activation (single leg hip thrusts - if you don't know, google them). After this glute activation, I can feel pull throughs much more in my glutes. Squeeze glutes at the top.

I will try KB swing w/ bands. Thanks for the tip!
__________________
5'8" 165# 38 y.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:24 AM   #7
Pearse Shields
Member Pearse Shields is offline
 
Pearse Shields's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Palmerston  New Zealand
Posts: 1,798
Re: KB swing vs cable pull thru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
First, I just take them to parallel to the ground--Russian Swings instead of the typicall CF American Swing all the way overhead. I worry that at the top the band would really pull akwardly (whihc may be good for strength) but too risky.

I've done them two ways, one is to choke a band low around a post, then I place the band around the horn of the bell. Then swing away.

You can also get in your swing stance, stand on the band with the band coming outside your feet, twist or place the the band on the bell and swing away. Go lite at first to get a hand for it.
I'm still going to need either pics or a video to be able to know how this works.
__________________
If it had parents, eat it till you're full My YouTube
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:11 AM   #8
Frances Ballesteros
Member Frances Ballesteros is offline
 
Frances Ballesteros's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Madrid  Spain
Posts: 774
Re: KB swing vs cable pull thru

I've done pull-throughs the way Dave Tate showed them and I could feel it on the hamstrings (a tiny bit) and lower-back, but no glute-activation whatsoever...I might try the "squat pull-through" and see how it feels. I still prefer KB or Dumbbells swings.
__________________
I love eating
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
Jason Peacock
Member Jason Peacock is offline
 
Jason Peacock's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 563
Re: KB swing vs cable pull thru

I've never tried it myself, but I looked at some videos on YouTube of cable pull-thrus...in one of them a dude setup with 130# and started doing reps.

I can see how it would help, but it seemed very isolating and specific, and you couldn't develop any hip pop or explosiveness.

For comparison, try doing the same set w/a 130# KB (if you could find one). You'll quickly see the difference Just doing a set of 100 KB swings @ 88# (40kg) is more than most people can handle (with proper hip drive and no english).

I'd stick with the KB swings.

(if you don't have a 40kg KB, grab two 24kg KBs for a double-KB swing...that'll wake you up!)

(also, do RKC style not AKC, you don't want to kill yourself)
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
Frances Ballesteros
Member Frances Ballesteros is offline
 
Frances Ballesteros's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Madrid  Spain
Posts: 774
Re: KB swing vs cable pull thru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
I've never tried it myself, but I looked at some videos on YouTube of cable pull-thrus...in one of them a dude setup with 130# and started doing reps.

I can see how it would help, but it seemed very isolating and specific, and you couldn't develop any hip pop or explosiveness.

For comparison, try doing the same set w/a 130# KB (if you could find one). You'll quickly see the difference Just doing a set of 100 KB swings @ 88# (40kg) is more than most people can handle (with proper hip drive and no english).

I'd stick with the KB swings.

(if you don't have a 40kg KB, grab two 24kg KBs for a double-KB swing...that'll wake you up!)

(also, do RKC style not AKC, you don't want to kill yourself)
It works the posterior chain, but honestly. I like KB swings better, I feel it more on my glutes
__________________
I love eating
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hardware for outdoor pull up and Swing set Brian Lawyer Equipment 26 03-26-2009 09:16 PM
Kettle bell swing / kipping pull up connection Evan Satterfield Exercises 13 03-09-2008 09:38 PM
Cable Pull Through Leslie Powell Exercises 2 08-30-2007 01:43 AM
Question about subbing DB swing for KB swing Brian Ingham Exercises 2 04-30-2007 04:31 AM
Cable or dumbell Dave Shambs Exercises 4 11-07-2003 02:17 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.