CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-02-2004, 06:04 PM   #1
Chris Bush

Profile:  
For someone who is WAY out of shape, in their 20's, very fat, what would a modified crossfit program look like? Take Rosie O'Donnel. How would that fat *** be trained?
Old 10-02-2004, 08:05 PM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Chris,

Have you purchased this month's issue of the Crossfit Journal? Inside there's an article detailing how one would modify the benchmark workouts for the elderly. Outside of placing more empahsis on nutritional issues, I believe one could take the same approach with someone who's, um, well insulated.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 10-03-2004, 06:38 PM   #3
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
"How would that fat *** be trained?"

I'd say very carefully. A full-on CF workout runs at pretty (OK, very) high intensity. You'd better dial it down a bit and keep a close eye on the HR of the fat *** in question. And as Ryan mentioned, nutritional issues would be paramount if the person is looking to ditch some weight.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:26 AM   #4
Scott Parker

Profile:
matt-

bro, you gotta be a little more tactful how you word your posts. hopefully speaking for the rest of us here (and correct me if i'm wrong) but ignorant posts like that aren't welcome here.

scott
Old 10-04-2004, 08:53 AM   #5
Steve Shafley

Profile:
The morbidly obese shouldn't start out with Crossfit or anything like it. I would say that they need to start walking an hour a day, and get their dietary habits changed, and that would be hard enough.

From that point, teaching weight training movements would be a good place to start.

If they express an interest in Crossfit, then make them get their dietary habits in order and walk for an hour a day, and if they can keep this discipline up for 2-3 months (and then they'll also see a decent amount of weight loss) then they are probably dedicated enough to really use the tools to change their body.

Most of the morbidly obese have underlying psychological problems or very low impulse control, and wouldn't stick to anything like Crossfit until they are able to change their mental landscape a bit.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:20 AM   #6
Jim Butts

Profile:
Scott,

After re-reading this thread from the beginning, I'm not sure I understand what it is that you find offensive in Matt's post. Perhaps I'm missing something...
Old 10-04-2004, 09:30 AM   #7
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Steve,

I agree with you that's it's very important to ease someone into the program. However, if they're expressing an interest in Crossfit, I'd try to keep the workouts truer to the CF spirit. I think that the variety of Crossfit exercises helps people maintain interest. An hour of walking every day not only takes up a lot of time, but may be extremely boring for some.

With the morbidly obese, restoring functionality for every day living may be an issue. It could also be the source of the workouts, IMO. Our new trainee (let's call her Rosie) might not be able to air squat very well, but can she get into and out of a chair? It involves some of the same mechanices and, if repeated for a certain number of reps, may prove challenging for those significantly less than fit. Rosie may not be able to sprint a 400m, but she might be able to make it up a set of stairs. There's exercise #2. What about picking up things from the floor like car keys (why does this sound familiar?). Car key deadlifts with good form just made it for exercise #3. So, depending on her fitness level, Rosie's first WOD might look like this:

3 rounds of time of:
20 reps of getting into and out of a chair - use arms only when needed.
Walk up and down one flight of stairs as fast as possible.
Drop a set of keys and pick up with good form for 10 reps.

Most of us probably wouldn't break a sweat, but hey, everybody starts somewhere. Maybe every 5th or 6th workout we could throw in the hour long walk. IMO, structuring the workouts like so will not only prove more interesting for Rosie, but may get her further along sooner.

Just some thoughts,

Ryan
Old 10-04-2004, 10:09 AM   #8
Scott Parker

Profile:
oof, my bad! i just read the "fat ***" part in matt's post. damn, i'm really sorry for that matt! many apologies, seriously. from now on i should keep myself from reading the message board firat thing in the morning before i am fully awake!

scott
Old 10-04-2004, 11:40 AM   #9
Beth Moscov

Profile:
HI,

While I think this is a very valid question and important in our current culture with such a high rate of obesity, I was offended by the phrase "fat ***". I have worked my "fat ***" off for the last 14 months to go from sedentary and 48% body fat to 20% body fat and able to do crossfit. I just don't like the phrase. The question is extremely valid. I work with a lot of folks from weight watchers and encourage them to come here after they have graduated from the walking and beginning weight training that Steve describes. Most of them would read this post and take off for good.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:52 AM   #10
John Walsh

Profile:
I think Mr. Bush was refering to himself as the "fat ***". I often refer to myself as a "fat guy" compared to some fellow CFers but I'm not really fat. If Mr. Bush was calling someone else a "fat ***" then it could be taken as an insult. If he was indeed refering to himself than he's free to call himself whatever he likes. I think he was just being self-effacing and that others just need to lighten up.