CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
Luke Lehman

Profile:
Our Young Child + His Thirtysomething Parents (wife & I) + Paleo ?

Hey all. I know I'm not the 1st and know I won't be the last...

Quick background.

I'm 6'5", 230 #, 30 yrs. Have always been fairly active. Played basketball through high school (when I graduated, I was 6'5" and 185 #), then in college i picked up hockey and volleyball. My last body comp measurement was 2010.01.12 = 15% bodyfat. I try and bike, run, pushups, other: 3-4x week.

Wife, Allyson (WFS) - is 5'4" (and a 1/2 as she claims), 109 #, 29. Relatively low activity rate. Played a couple years of soccer in high school. Wife can eat anything she wants and doesn't gain a pound. I'm jealous as she has visible abs and doesn't do a situp. Meanwhile, I'm thankful for having a kind and sweet wife and feel that her physique is a pure bonus. Sorry, people, she's hot.

Son, Colin (WFS) - 15 months old. Good kid. Eats pretty much whatever we throw at him. Happy, healthy, growing, smiling, laughing. It's really great.

OK...

Three days ago, I logged onto the boards and I can't even remember why I went to the nutrition page. Since that time, almost every waking moment (except this mandatory thing called work) I've been reading and getting excited about changing my diet and thus my life & health. I've downloaded Robb Wolf's podcasts, listened to them on the way to and from work. I now know who Melissa Byers/Urban is as well her proclivity to use f-bombs. Fish Oil, Almond Butter, EPA, DHA, "unweighed / unmeasured", cravings, "documented inflamation properties", lean-out, "I've never looked and felt better", 9+ hours of sleep a night, etc. It should also be clarified that I am aware of CrossFit, but haven't done regular WODs. In actuality, I've done 3 WODs, in the 3 months that I've known about CF. I am on day 32 of the 100 day Burpee challenge, so I know burpees. I'd like to move to a 3 to 4 day WOD schedule, but I know I've got some other gym/equipment/time/weight/strength limitations that I need to just "get over."

Question #1 - Can switching to a fairly strict Paleo diet be done (especially with my fam)? Wait... I think people already do it. People are already doing it. And loving it.

Question #2 - What about my kiddo? I don't know if we can get away breads or cheeses. Heck, Goldfish have saved my life and sanity numerous times already. Maybe it's a gradual thing. He's on 15 months old now, so maybe little by little?

Question #3 - For those of you who are married: Life is only as good as your relationship with your other half. At least that's how I work. Will she buy in? I think so. However, I don't think I should unleash this craziness all at once. I've been absorbing it (via firehose) for a 3 day period, and to convince her of the benefits before I've even tried it myself = ludacris (I spelled that right, trust me).

I wonder about a nonchalant approach of starting to cook dinner for her. What woman wouldn't like that (as long as it doesn't taste like a shoe) ? I'm pretty sure, she's the key. If she's in, it will last. If not, it won't. I don't think you can convince a woman to do something that she doesn't want to do. At least without serious consequences.

I guess I should get around to asking a question that I haven't already answered myself.

Does anyone have any experience with starting something like this who has (a) young child(ren)?

Any tips about trying to gradually move toward this new diet vs. going all out strict 30 days to change your life? Especially since my wife doesn't work out?

Any suggestions / support / examples are warmly welcomed. I hope to start this transition next week, instead of today - as today is our 5th anniversary and we'll be celebrating tomorrow and her family is in town. I see myself going shopping on Sunday.

I'm already very blessed in life. I'm surrounded by good. This just may be the paleo-icing on the non-cake. Thanks everyone for the motivation - All the posts I've already read have been informative and inspiring.

See everyone soon.

Last edited by Luke Lehman : 08-13-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: Our Young Child + His Thirtysomething Parents (wife & I) + Paleo ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Lehman View Post
Question #1 - Can switching to a fairly strict Paleo diet be done (especially with my fam)? Wait... I think people already do it. People are already doing it. And loving it.

Question #2 - What about my kiddo? I don't know if we can get away breads or cheeses. Heck, Goldfish have saved my life and sanity numerous times already. Maybe it's a gradual thing. He's on 15 months old now, so maybe little by little?

Question #3 - For those of you who are married: Life is only as good as your relationship with your other half. At least that's how I work. Will she buy in? I think so. However, I don't think I should unleash this craziness all at once. I've been absorbing it (via firehose) for a 3 day period, and to convince her of the benefits before I've even tried it myself = ludacris (I spelled that right, trust me).
Question 1 you seemed to answer yourself.

Question 2: There are snacks that kids will eat... I've seen threads/posts about it but can't think off the top of my head.

Question 3: She could buy into it. I wouldn't force it. Ask her if she'd be willing to try the 30 day challenge, it could get her hooked. If not, lead by example. My wife took about 9 months of me rattling on about the diet before she cracked haha. I ended up convincing her that I thought she couldn't do the 30day challenge... and she took it as a challenge and realized a lot about how food made her feel. Also, up until recently, she wasn't big into working out.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Luke Lehman

Profile:

Bo - thanks for the thoughts. I totally agree that you can't force this on anyone and that "proof is in the pudding."

Maybe my wife will take some convincing just like yours
Old 08-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

What are you eating now, and why do you think you need a change?

For many people, tremendous improvements are possible with fairly minor changes. Replacing soda with water, or candy bars with fresh fruit, say.

At the same time, going strict Paleo can actually be disastrous in the short term for people, like your wife, who are already near their maintenance calories. If she eats a lot of grains now, getting rid of them without carefully considering alternatives is likely to put her in a severe calorie deficit. That won't make her appreciate you or the diet.

Which is not to say you shouldn't do it, just that you should think about what you're trying to accomplish rather than just hopping on the bandwagon because Robb Wolf said to.

Katherine
Old 08-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
Luke Lehman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
What are you eating now, and why do you think you need a change?

For many people, tremendous improvements are possible with fairly minor changes. Replacing soda with water, or candy bars with fresh fruit, say.

At the same time, going strict Paleo can actually be disastrous in the short term for people, like your wife, who are already near their maintenance calories. If she eats a lot of grains now, getting rid of them without carefully considering alternatives is likely to put her in a severe calorie deficit. That won't make her appreciate you or the diet.

Which is not to say you shouldn't do it, just that you should think about what you're trying to accomplish rather than just hopping on the bandwagon because Robb Wolf said to.

Katherine
Katherine - thanks for your reply. I think your post has given me a second of pause. Rightly so.

Mt. Dew is my escape. Sounds dumb, but when things aren't great at work or if I'm stressed I reach for a Dew. On the other hand, when it's a celebratory day - I reach for a Dew. So it's kind of a constant thing. I guess I tell myself it's better than reaching for a beer...

Even without Mr. Wolf's advice, I'm smart enough to know that soda isn't the best option.

Our current diets aren't terrible, but I'd like to rid all of the processed items. From what I've been reading / listening, it's kind of an all or nothing thing - but I'm not sure how true that is. The Whole30 challenge is specific about not cheating, not even one time, as the body will revert back to it's old way of processing foods.

Initially - I'm thinking that we'd be a Paleo + Dairy family. Maybe that's leaps and bounds from where we are and good enough.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Lehman View Post
Our current diets aren't terrible, but I'd like to rid all of the processed items. From what I've been reading / listening, it's kind of an all or nothing thing - but I'm not sure how true that is. The Whole30 challenge is specific about not cheating, not even one time, as the body will revert back to it's old way of processing foods.
This is where I part ways with the paleo people. Yes, by all means get rid of soda. Absolutely get rid of things that come in boxes and are full of frankenfoods. But grains are a staple of effectively all traditional cuisines, and the evidence that traditional cuisines are healthy is pretty overwhelming. The evidence that lactose tolerance gave the people who had it a survival advantage is pretty strong as well.

So I really question whether the benefits of throwing out 10,000 years of food culture outweigh the disadvantages. I have yet to see a convincing argument for the wholesale elimination of dairy and grains, as opposed to simply resetting one's diet back to the pre-industrial food era.

(You might want to duck, however, as I may have just started the next round in an ongoing war on this subject.)

Katherine
Old 08-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
This is where I part ways with the paleo people. Yes, by all means get rid of soda. Absolutely get rid of things that come in boxes and are full of frankenfoods. But grains are a staple of effectively all traditional cuisines, and the evidence that traditional cuisines are healthy is pretty overwhelming. The evidence that lactose tolerance gave the people who had it a survival advantage is pretty strong as well.

So I really question whether the benefits of throwing out 10,000 years of food culture outweigh the disadvantages. I have yet to see a convincing argument for the wholesale elimination of dairy and grains, as opposed to simply resetting one's diet back to the pre-industrial food era.

(You might want to duck, however, as I may have just started the next round in an ongoing war on this subject.)

Katherine
As one of the paleo people Katherine often parts with I'm going to have to agree with her here. Just getting back to pre-WWII is all you really need to do. But, with that said, I still see no reason to consume grains. Fresh veggies are always a better choice and taste much better to boot.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
Brent Eno

Profile:

Quote:

Katherine
She is absolutely right. Eat plenty of "paleo" foods, like vegetables and lean meat, but if you want to have some rice or a sweet potato with dinner because you like it, have at it. Avoiding real, whole foods because they are not "paleo" is pretty neurotic. Just keep everything in moderation, and you will do just fine.

"I'd like to rid all of the processed items". This is, hands down, the best thing you can do right now.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:30 PM   #9
Meghan Reid

Profile:

You had me at "ludacris."

That was an awesome first post.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
Fresh veggies are always a better choice and taste much better to boot.
Especially tossed with pasta and olive oil. :stir:

Katherine