CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
Abel Saenz
Member Abel Saenz is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sachse  TX
Posts: 1
Elite Fitness

Do the best people in Crossfit, Salo, Khalipa, Orlando, simply do the WOD only, or do they add extra to become the top level athletes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,413
Re: Elite Fitness

Check out the CF Journal, it has plenty of videos tracking the Games prep for most of those. All of them talk about doing a lot of supplemental strength and skillwork, as well as spending more time on their weaknesses. I've yet to hear of anyone getting up to their strength and speed numbers without some pretty dedicated strength and speed work. To be competitive they also have to get used to doing 2, 3, or 4 workouts in a day. The CF.com workouts are good for GPP for most people but not necessarily sufficient to win the Games.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Christopher G. Woods
Member Christopher G. Woods is offline
 
Christopher G. Woods's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ellicott City  MD
Posts: 2,119
Re: Elite Fitness

It also bears mentioning that most of these guys were elite level athletes (Mikko Salo, soccer; Rob Orlando, strongman; Chris Spealler, wrestling; OPT, track and field) long before they ever heard of CrossFit. Honestly, there are only a handful of guys at the top level (Ben Smith, for example) who are even young enough to have "come up" doing CrossFit. You don't achieve the level of performance these guys are at in a few years.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Justin McCallon
Member Justin McCallon is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlanta  GA
Posts: 551
Re: Elite Fitness

I haven't asked him, but I think Spencer Hendel started CF relatively early. He's 21 now and his dad owns CrossFit Charlotte. He probably played football or something in high school, but I bet he's done CF for 3 or 4 years, and probably only lifted a couple more. He has definitely got a lot stronger since doing CrossFit (compare his athlete profile in 2009 and 2010).

That said, he does a strength biased version AFAIK. ... and it seems like nearly everyone else does, which suggests to me that main page programming should include consistent work on Squat, Press, Deadlift, C&J, and Snatch, just like CFFB.
__________________
My Workout Log
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
David McGlame
Member David McGlame is offline
 
David McGlame's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newton  MA
Posts: 85
Re: Elite Fitness

Almost all top athletes do more then mainsite. Most don't do main site at all and make up their own/use affiliate programming. Remember just becuase your not doing main site doesn'tmean your not doing CF.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
Justin Z. Smith
Member Justin Z. Smith is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Alexandria  VA
Posts: 390
Re: Elite Fitness

I think Connor Martin was brought up on CrossFit.

Justin
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:45 AM   #7
Aushion Chatman
Affiliate Aushion Chatman is offline
 
Aushion Chatman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 3,342
Re: Elite Fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCallon View Post
I haven't asked him, but I think Spencer Hendel started CF relatively early. He's 21 now and his dad owns CrossFit Charlotte. He probably played football or something in high school, but I bet he's done CF for 3 or 4 years, and probably only lifted a couple more. He has definitely got a lot stronger since doing CrossFit (compare his athlete profile in 2009 and 2010).

That said, he does a strength biased version AFAIK. ... and it seems like nearly everyone else does, which suggests to me that main page programming should include consistent work on Squat, Press, Deadlift, C&J, and Snatch, just like CFFB.
I don't know the programmer's goals, but it is entirely possible that mainpage is not programming for people to be Games champions...
__________________
My Youtube Channel
CFSD Yelp
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:24 AM   #8
Tamara Cohen
Member Tamara Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 4,392
Re: Elite Fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
I don't know the programmer's goals, but it is entirely possible that mainpage is not programming for people to be Games champions...
True dat.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
Graeme Howland
Member Graeme Howland is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Prince George  BC
Posts: 422
Re: Elite Fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McGlame View Post
Almost all top athletes do more then mainsite. Most don't do main site at all and make up their own/use affiliate programming. Remember just becuase your not doing main site doesn'tmean your not doing CF.
This has been rehashed many times, but how can you say that strength training on a planned program (be it SS, 5-3-1, Smolov etc) with some conditioning work is CF? By that definition, everything is CF and nothing is CF .
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
Jeremy Galo
Member Jeremy Galo is offline
 
Jeremy Galo's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Gilbert  AZ
Posts: 901
Re: Elite Fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Howland View Post
This has been rehashed many times, but how can you say that strength training on a planned program (be it SS, 5-3-1, Smolov etc) with some conditioning work is CF? By that definition, everything is CF and nothing is CF .
Well... were they:

1) Using functional movements?
2) Executing them at high intensity?
3) Did they constantly vary the above for different time and modal domains?

If the answer is yes, then that's how. If the answer is no, then it's not. Crossfit is nothing more than a methodology and it is by no means super original. It just trademarked the name.
__________________
5'7" | 168lbs | My Gym |
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marathon as elite fitness?? Jeremy R Johnson Competitions 17 10-26-2009 04:21 PM
goals and elite fitness vs. elite athletes Steven Low Fitness 63 06-23-2008 05:53 PM
Fitness. Tracking Elite Fitness. Jericho Hasselbush Community 6 04-09-2008 01:26 PM
Elite Fitness Barry Cooper Equipment 6 10-11-2004 10:04 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.