CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
Thomas Covington

Profile:
Yoga on off-days?

I have been kicking around the idea of taking a traditional style Yoga class on my off-days for a little R&R from the office. I am sure there are quite a few here that do the same, I am curious how to like it, if it's helped you overall, and has it impeeded your recovery (if on off-days)?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Yoga on off-days?

I'd avoid "power" yoga, but a traditional class focused on stretching and mobility would be great for recovery.

Katherine
Old 04-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
William A Cantrell

Profile:

Yoga on a rest day is torture! Atleast it has been for me, the next day after it though...your a million bucks! The first 2 times I did it I was more sore the next day than normal but now its great! (I dont do class yoga much only a few times, I do videos from onDemand )
Old 04-22-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

There's yoga and there's yoga. As Katherine said avoid Power yoga or anything that promotes itself as workout e.g.YRG, a lot of flow style yoga etc.

Most CF's will not need more conditioning. What will help is focusing on stretching, mobilizing and relaxing
Old 04-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Lavin View Post
There's yoga and there's yoga. As Katherine said avoid Power yoga or anything that promotes itself as workout e.g.YRG, a lot of flow style yoga etc.

Most CF's will not need more conditioning. What will help is focusing on stretching, mobilizing and relaxing
+1. To quote another poster on a different thread quoting Dan John quoting Charlie Francis: “Most people’s highs are too low and their lows are too high.”

Yoga can be a workout in itself. That's not an off day (lows too high). But it can also be relaxing. If you do the relaxing kind I don't see much of a problem with it.

I would caution about excessive flexibility. It has been discussed on this board before; flexibility for flexibility's sake is worthless and could be dangerous. Granted, this isn't a problem for most people as they never get to adequate flexibility let alone excessive but it is still something to keep in mind. To quote greg everett - who only refers to yoga as the "Y-word"- the flexibility required by your discipline is only slightly better than inadequate flexibility.

His point is that your time is better spent improving your flexibility for the overhead squat rather than your downward dog. If you are flexible enough to properly execute an overhead squat (or whatever your discipline is) you areflexible enough.

With all that said, if it relaxes you, aids in recovery, and improves your functional flexibilty I say go for it. If it doesn't meet one of these criteria I would skip it.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Jon E Matzner

Profile:

I used to poo poo yoga a lot. Now I think any occasion where someone locks you in a room and says "Stretch" for an hour is great.

I could do without the claims of "being a great workout", the weird chanting, and the lululemon though.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
+1. To quote another poster on a different thread quoting Dan John quoting Charlie Francis: “Most people’s highs are too low and their lows are too high.”
I believe that me me, so now I'm quoting you, quoting me, quoting some other people. This is just too postmodern. I need to lie down.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
Michael Halbfish

Profile:

I am a believer in supplementing Crossfit with yoga. I do a variety of different yogas and my yoga workouts range from intense to easy. Typically, I will do 2-3 sessions a week with a focus on recovery, mobility, balance, and breathing.

While Burpees may have gotten the name from Colonel Burpee who had his troops doing them during the civil war, burpees come from yoga. There are lots of yoga related handstand exercises. Yoga can be done in a way that can challenge most crossfitters.

Yoga can be useful for some things that Crossfitters don't always work very much such as static strength. Yoga poses often work static strength especially if you push isometrically while holding poses. Yoga can also work angle strength. The twisting, back bending, and unilateral movements add great variety to the typical Crossfitting workout.

Yoga has the potential to be about much more than just physical training. Yoga can be a great tool for developing body awareness. Yoga helps a person develop excellent breath control and awareness.

Yoga has many other potential benefits. Yoga classes and results will vary tremendously depending upon both the style of yoga and the instructor. Merely saying "do yoga" is like saying "exercise" or "workout". Workout can mean anything from a long slow run, to bodybuilding, to zumba, to Crossfit.

Thus, I would recommend experimenting with a variety and finding what works best for you.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #9
Ian Nigh

Profile:

watch out for developing hyper-mobile lumbar region/hips, this condition does not jive with lifting heavy weights!
Old 04-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
watch out for developing hyper-mobile lumbar region/hips, this condition does not jive with lifting heavy weights!
...or works for developing good lumbar form and adequate hamstring flexibility for squatting or DL'ing heavier weights. Bikram yoga has improved my lifting and focus as well as relaxing the head. Like any other tool , use it to fix your weakness' and get what you need.