CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
Jean-Paul Lara

Profile:
question "crossfit rxd" diet

Just a question that came to mind recently...the crossfit recommends 40/30/30 carbs, protein, fat.

40% carbs??? Assuming that we have an individual eating around 2100-2300 calories a day, getting 40% of those calories from carbs sounds like a lot! Now 40/30/30 fat, carbs, protein would sound more reasonable (even though i'm keeping my carbs at 20% max a day @ around 2100 calories a day, getting good results from this) 26/m/175/5'10

What am i missing from this?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: question "crossfit rxd" diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Paul Lara View Post
Just a question that came to mind recently...the crossfit recommends 40/30/30 carbs, protein, fat.
More of a Zone diet recommendation. If fewer carbs work for you then go with it.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
Joey Lajoie

Profile:

I try to be closer to 80/80/20 Protein/fat/carbs, but I think I often consume a little more fat than protein in the run of a typical day, sometimes it's a little more protein than fat.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Benjamin Goodale

Profile:

hey joey,

can;t tell if you were joking, but you might want to check your math on your macronutrient split
Old 04-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
Joey Lajoie

Profile:

D'aaargh! Geeze. Way to make a fool of myself in public.

I meant to say 40/40/20 protein/fat/carbs.

Now time to show up for school naked
Old 04-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
Ahmed Serag

Profile:

Do what works best for you. If you feel better on lower carbs than manipulate that split, or check out paleo. The best split is the one that works for you.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
Adam Acosta

Profile:

I went ahead and decided to log since I hadn't for a while (I don't really intentionally reach for any particular calorie or ratio target) and have apparently been around 65/30/5 fat/protein/carbohydrate. I've been eating basically the same types and amounts of food every day for a little over a month now and haven't noticed any particular upward or downward swing in performance or perceived exertion. I guess this is ketogenic (carbs range between 20-40 grams per day), but I never noticed any lightheadedness or sluggishness or any of that, either (already didn't eat any sugar and damn near no starch, so that's probably why).

I honestly doubt there is any one magical ratio for anybody that optimizes performance. It's more a matter of getting enough protein and total calories and, after that, your performance will probably be equal with any ratio as long as you're not eating crap. About the only major changes I've personally noticed is that I'm never hungry (can go up to 18 hours or so before I really feel like I need food) and I seem to have been cured of flatulence. I also tended to get those minor insulin comas from eating carb-rich meals in the past, where you feel like you've been hit with a tranquilizer and have to take a nap 30-60 minutes later, and obviously that doesn't happen any more. Those are welcome changes, but it's not like I can suddenly lift more or run faster and my bodyfat didn't magically reduce to 7% overnight.

For the record, I also don't crave carbs and I don't do those ridiculous cheat days or cheat meals (I mean, I'll eat out when my girlfriend wants to and don't really care what I eat in that case, but I never plan cheat meals). I guess a lot of people have trouble with that, but personally, I don't really see the appeal of something sugary over a hunk of red meat or even some thick whipped cream if you need a dessert. As for rice and bread and pasta, I always felt their best use was as a medium for butter or cream sauce anyway. Why not just eat butter and cream?
Old 04-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #8
Joey Lajoie

Profile:

that's very interesting Adam. I have some theory's that pretty much match what you outlined here. I always figured that if you put most of your emphasis on protein and fat you should have the building blocks to grow and the energy to perform. I never really believed that there was a magic ratio and figured that the quality of your foods was much more important than the ratios as long as you were getting enough.

I do, however, prefer to limit carbohydrate intake. I live in a colder climate where fruit would have been seasonal and not ever in abundance. Most of our carbohydrate intake would have been from greens which have a negligible carb yield at best. I can't imagine a hunter gatherer having the interest to eat enough green vegetables to get any significant amount of carbs because face it, they're boring and there is meat to be hunted. Therefore I feel that we would have thrived on Ketogenic level carbs.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Lajoie View Post
I can't imagine a hunter gatherer having the interest to eat enough green vegetables to get any significant amount of carbs because face it, they're boring and there is meat to be hunted.
Except that hunting meat with Stone Age tools is not so easy. The assumption that Paleo man had essentially unlimited access to meat seems questionable to me. All the evidence I've seen indicates that edible plants played a pretty significant role in the diets of most hunter gatherers. Paleo man had a lot more choices than just fruit or leafy greens, too, and would have taken advantage of whatever was available.

Katherine
Old 04-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
Joey Lajoie

Profile:

That is a very good point, I never really thought of that.