CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
Niall Somerville

Profile:
Constantly being put down because i'm thin...

I just want to vent so here we go.

I recently started a new job. I'm a personal trainer and used to work at a globo gym where most of the trainers did Crossfit. This is how I was introduced to it. However, I wasn't making much money in that job and recently started a new one at a personal training studio. All we do is personal training and group fitness classes so it's a good environment with good clients. All the trainers there come from a bodybuilding background and most don't even know what Crossfit is. All the guys are fairly large and do bicep curls on a regular basis I'm a very thin guy. I have gained significant amounts of weight before (I was unemployed and basically just ate all day and did an hour of weights 3 times per week) but now i'm back down to my natural weight due to my extremely busy schedule (don't have time to eat regularly) and Crossfit training. All the trainers see me and tell me i'm a skinny dweeb and that Crossfit sucks because you can't gain mass on it. I try to tell them otherwise but obviously because i'm skinny I can't prove it to them. All the trainers train together 3 times a week after we close and I usually go to my local box and do the WOD. They are always telling me I need to stay and train with them so they can show me how it's done etc. I just laugh and say "yeah, one day". At first I was just like "whatever" but lately it's been getting worse. I'm being called names on a regualr basis and when I struggle to lift up large pieces of equipment (we rearrange the gym quite a bit) i'm teased and told that Crossfit is the reason i'm weak.

I know it's all crap but the problem is it's starting to really get to me. No one takes me seriously because of my weight and they all think Crossfit is just some glorified Cardio program. My clients love it when I train them using CF style workouts but the trainers all stick to weights and machines. I know I need to just gain some weight and prove them all wrong and I plan to but right now i'm just not in the right mindset.

I don't really know where this is going but basically i'm ****ed off with the way i'm being treated and how these morons view Crossfit and I felt like venting some of my feelings.

Peace.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
Christian Holm

Profile:
Re: Constantly being put down because i'm thin...

Gain some weight. What are your main lift numbers? You can use this time to work on a strength program, dial up your calorie intake, and add some mass. How tall are you and how much do you weigh? You are probably way more advanced than me, but I was able to gain 25 pounds in 2 months using Starting Strength. By gaining weight you will probably gain more customers as well because they will view you as more well rounded in fitness. Also, agree to do some workouts with your co-workers, but in turn, challenge them to some badass WOD's .
Old 03-30-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
Niall Somerville

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Holm View Post
Gain some weight. What are your main lift numbers? You can use this time to work on a strength program, dial up your calorie intake, and add some mass. How tall are you and how much do you weigh? You are probably way more advanced than me, but I was able to gain 25 pounds in 2 months using Starting Strength. By gaining weight you will probably gain more customers as well because they will view you as more well rounded in fitness. Also, agree to do some workouts with your co-workers, but in turn, challenge them to some badass WOD's .
I haven't been doing Crossfit long so I can only comment on the last time I did the CF Total.

Deadlift: 120kg
Press: 40kg
Squat: 80kg

I was dissapointed with this but I wasn't well when I did it and hadn't eaten anything all day. My strength is ok I guess.

I weight 65kg at 6'1". Very skinny. I have been 76kg in the past.

I don't need more clients. Since we are a studio, I get paid by the hour not per client so I have a steady flow of clients all day.

I might start mixing it up a bit and doing some strength training as well as CF.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
David M Tillotson

Profile:

*****IF***** you can do Linda as Rx'd, then you should challenge them to do that workout with you. If you can't do Linda Rx'd yet, then I would take Christian's advice and get into a cycle of Starting Strength Novice Program and gain some strength and mass.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
Niall Somerville

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M Tillotson View Post
*****IF***** you can do Linda as Rx'd, then you should challenge them to do that workout with you. If you can't do Linda Rx'd yet, then I would take Christian's advice and get into a cycle of Starting Strength Novice Program and gain some strength and mass.
I absolutely cannot do Linda. The deadlifts might be ok but my max bench is only about bodyweight so I would need to scale down a lot. My cleans are also fairly unimpressive. Just gotta stick at it. It's a long term goal for me so I will keep plugging away. Just get sick of the negative comments towards my weight. I know i'm skinny, why do people need to constantly remind me of this?
Old 03-31-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
Rick Hardin

Profile:

It sounds like you want and need to put some size on. Step back a bit and evaluate your goals. If you want to get bigger and stronger you'll need to adjust diet and training to get there.

CrossFit is a great jack of all trades, but master of none. If you want to focus more on raw strength and size there are better options.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

Looks at things for their point of view. You are no doubt been singing the praises of CF and functional fitness. However you have neither neither achieved (size) their criteria or (functional strength) your criteria of fitness. As far as they can see you only talk the talk.

If I was you I would train with them once of twice a week. It would help with bonding and get you past the them and me stage. If it's really not for you then you can move on after a month or so. It may actually help your training as well. Continue to do your WOD and make some time to relax and eat.

I'm a small guy. Years ago I trained in a hardcore BB and PL gym. I was usually the smallest guy their. I was never laughed at because I worked hard, didn't lecture people and listened to what they had to say even if I didn't agree.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
Melody Glasgow

Profile:

Sounds to me like you need to start remembering to eat.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:48 AM   #9
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Lavin View Post
Looks at things for their point of view. You are no doubt been singing the praises of CF and functional fitness. However you have neither neither achieved (size) their criteria or (functional strength) your criteria of fitness. As far as they can see you only talk the talk.

If I was you I would train with them once of twice a week. It would help with bonding and get you past the them and me stage. If it's really not for you then you can move on after a month or so. It may actually help your training as well. Continue to do your WOD and make some time to relax and eat.

I'm a small guy. Years ago I trained in a hardcore BB and PL gym. I was usually the smallest guy their. I was never laughed at because I worked hard, didn't lecture people and listened to what they had to say even if I didn't agree.

Workout with your co-workers a few times. It cannot hurt.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
Matt Rexin

Profile:

To be fair, would you take advice from someone who knew the "proper" methods but wasn't that successful at them? You may have all the knowledge in the world but people generally only see the final product: which is you. So if you're a skinny guy telling a big guy that your way of training is better than his, his response will be " why aren't you stronger/ bigger than me then?"

As pointed out above, you most likely need to work on your strength and start eating. Doing Starting strength would be a good bet. Eating more would also be beneficial. Training with your co-workers might help too if they can see your desire and hard work, and maybe you can even learn a thing or two from them.