CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-06-2010, 07:26 AM   #1
Bobby Smith

Profile:
Half Marathon?

Happy New Year fellow X-fitters!

I have gotten great advice from you guys before and was lookin' for some more.
I have been CFing for 5 months with awesome progress and my current routine looks likeDay 1 CF/ Judo
Day 2 CF
Day 3 off
Day 4 CF/ Judo
Day 5 CF (usually an ME day)
Day 6 off
I have been "peer pressured" into agreeing to run a half marathon in April, I have done 2 before, mind you I just want to plod through this half but I will need to train for it. Can you all help me to tweak my schedule alittle so I can get 2-3 days of running in I can't imagine giving up CF for 3 months so if something has to give I won't do the half.
Thanks for any help!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Half Marathon?

Have you checked out the CrossFit Endurance site yet?

wfs

http://www.anaerobicendurance.com/
Old 01-06-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
Nathan Kulas

Profile:

+1 to CFE

Tabata treadmill run = 4 minutes.
Rest = 10 minutes (no joke! - use this time to stretch and keep warm)
Follow that by some basic strength work - nothing too heavy, as you've already done a metcon - 1-3 different lifts.

This will give you a run day, but simultaneously hit metcon and strength.

Otherwise, on those days when you only have CF - if you have the time available, do the CF in the AM and then do the CFE endurance workout 3+ hours later.

If you can't spare the time, then drop just 1 CF day and do a tempo run, or a couple mile repeats - CFE even has a workout that consists of doing 3 5Ks with a 3 minute rest in between. If you follow their protocol at CFE, you get penalized for not keeping certain paces (e.g. vary +/- 30 second off first 5K) so that after the workout you end up doing burpees, or etc. - so you still get some good CF work in there too.

Otherwise, instead of dropping more than 1 CF day, substitute a rest day your LSD/base building day. An easy distance run (3-6 miles, 5-10K) can work well for a recovery workout.

I also like to do a good hard mile after my CF workout on occasion, before my mile cooldown run.
27/m/68"/185# - 300 BP, 435 DL, 435 BS, 205 Clean, 100# wtd pull-up, 3:23 Fran, 22:50 Angie, 25 Cindy rds, 20:17 5K Row, 7:31 2K Row, 5:43 1 mile run
Old 01-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

It really depends on how you want to run the Half. I have run three half-marathons since May (my 2-4th half marathons). Crossfitting since Dec 08.

Trained for the first with 5-6 days of CF at an Affiliate with long runs on the weekend, max about 8 miles....sub 1 Hr 50 min.

Second was the AF Deployed Half-Marathon in Iraq with mainsite WODs and a long run of about 45 minutes a week before....2 hrs 6 min (hot as all get out in Iraq in Sept).

Third was the "Balad Resolution Half Marathon" on 2 Jan. Main site WODs, 3 on, 1 off, a bit of extra Starting strength lifting here and there if it did not interfere with the main site WODs, an extra 5K run after Thanksgiving and an extra 5K row on a rest day. Total of 11.2 miles running since Thanksgiving. Time: 1 hr 55 min. Plus, missed beating a 23 round Cindy PR by 11 squats later that afternoon. (I was going to do an easy 15 round Cindy, but when you workout with a bunch of F16 pilots, the competitive spirit gets going pretty good fairly easily even if you are not a fighter pilot!)

conclusion:
(My own opinion here) You could do fairly well by simply hitting the CF WODs with heavy intensity until the Half and do pretty well. Perhaps not beat your past PR, but you would be ready to hit the next WOD pretty quickly.

Add CFE for technique, speed, interval training and you could PR by a good margin and still run a lot less and feel much better during and after the race.

Anyway, good luck. Try to wear a Crossfit Infidel or Pukie shirt for a really good statement!

Bryan
Old 01-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
Leo Cunningham

Profile:

The exercise geniuses at Furman have a great intermediate half marathon training program that has you running only 3 days a week. As with Crossfit, each running workout is very purposeful and pretty intense. Their WFS website is here, http://www.furman.edu/first/fmtp.htm, but their book, advertised on the website, may be needed to calculate your times for the workouts.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
Jason Sutfin

Profile:

check out crossfit endurance...I ran last May (and will again this May) using the main site WODs and added the crossfit endurance WODs beginning about 6 weeks before the race.

I'm also doing the 100 day burpee challenge...today is day 6.

Good luck!
Old 01-07-2010, 04:08 AM   #7
Stephen Yosypiw

Profile:

Nice, I'm doing the burpee challenge too from jan1st. I'm no great runner, but I reckon you don't need to add too many runs. Just go hard on the WODs, and maybe incorporate a few cfe wods as well.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
Bobby Smith

Profile:

Thanks for the Good advice...I went to the Crossfit endurance site and it looks very interesting but I don't get how it works or what alot of the abreviations mean. does any placve on the main site spell it out or could anyone give me the short version primer on it? thanks
Old 01-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
John Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Smith View Post
Thanks for the Good advice...I went to the Crossfit endurance site and it looks very interesting but I don't get how it works or what alot of the abreviations mean. does any placve on the main site spell it out or could anyone give me the short version primer on it? thanks
Just read over the site again. There is a list of abbreviations in the right hand side of the page. A more exhaustive list of abbreviations can be found in the FAQ on the main page.

Good Luck!
Old 01-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Smith View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harris View Post
Just read over the site again. There is a list of abbreviations in the right hand side of the page. A more exhaustive list of abbreviations can be found in the FAQ on the main page.

Good Luck!
And if, after you follow John's advice, the WOD is still unclear, just post in the comments section over there.