CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-21-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
Amy Crawford

Profile:
confused about bumper plates

I've applied for affiliation, and I'm slowly trying to build our garage gym. I'm thinking of starting off with a set of 10# and 15# plates and getting a training bar and a very inexpensive bar. I can't decide among all the options ... steel insert, 17.7" diameter, 18.1" diameter. Wright Rubber seems to be the best choice economically, but if they're all 18.1" diameter, then I'll need to stick with them for obvious reasons. That and they have the brass insert. At the very start of my business, is it worth it for me to put out the money (that I don't really have) for a nice set of HiTemp/Rogue bumpers?

Thanks for any advice/opinions.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
Re: confused about bumper plates

Amy,

Most of the inexpensive training bumpers are off a little on size. Bumpers are supposed to be 450mm, which is about 17.7 inches. The Wright bumpers are about 455 mm, at least the ones I have are. Any bumper made by Hi-Temp are about 444 or 445mm, so off by the same amount, but on the low side instead of the high side. Our WFW bumpers are also around 455mm, although we are having molds made to bring them down to 450mm right now. Other brands also vary. So no matter what brand you get, its best to stick to one brand.

Hi-Temp, Wright, or any similar brand should all sell for about the same price. I havnt checked a bunch of websites recently, but I think about $1.10 per pound is the going rate, thats what we figure in our sets for either our WFW bumpers or Hi-Temps.

As far as durability and the brass hub question, brass hubs got a bad rap because of Kraighburg, their brass hubs are pretty thin, and we, and a lot of other people have had them crack. The brass hub on both the Wright bumpers and our WFW bumpers are almost 3 times as thick, and the ones we have here have been used quite heavily for quite a while with no problems. I also recently visited a school that had purchased about 2000lbs of Wright bumpers 5 years ago, with the brass hubs. They run about 200 kids a day through their facility, so the plates are pretty much getting used CONSTANTLY for 8 hours a day. And they have no failed plates and no problems.

So I think that at least for brands that use a thick brass hub, the brass vs steel issue isnt as big a deal as it would be with thin walled hub plates.

Not sure if this helped in your decision at all but I hope it has. We have, or at least have had, just about every kind of bumper under the sun here at some time over the last 10 years. Its easier to compare when you can see how they stand up over years of time being used in the same gym. There have been and are a lot of bad designs out there, plates that really werent worth the money. But I think of the brands you mentioned, they are all pretty good plates and your likely to be happy no matter which you choose.

glenn
Old 10-21-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Amy Crawford

Profile:

Glenn, thanks so much for that thorough explanation. While I have been training for over 2 years, it's always been on someone else's equipment. You definitely shed some light on the subject for me!
Old 10-21-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
Steve Ericson

Profile:

I don't think you could answer that question any better than Glenn did
Old 10-23-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
Ardi Shero

Profile:

Glenn, any chance you have any pics of the WFW bumpers in color and black?