CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 08-23-2008, 05:41 AM   #1
Jonathan Slater

Profile:
Jonathan's Workout Log.

Thought I should really get more 'stuck in' after lurking on the board and doing infrequent workouts for a while now. So, step one - workout log.
(Actually, step one was today's WOD which will shortly go into this workout log. But that's being pedantic.)

My goals in doing this are, in no order whatsoever,
- torch all the visible fat that I can (hey, I'm 26, vanity still has a strong hold)
- address the fact that I can run half-marathons, side kick over my own head height, and yet am drastically lacking in basic physical strength. This is what slows me down in all the workouts I do. If you were to look up 'strong like bull' in a (presumably Russian) dictionary, my picture would be in the column marked 'antonyms.'
- get myself in the synonym column for 'strong like bull.'
- get as fit as the proverbial fiddle.
That's about it I think, the other reasons like improving my TKD performance, running better, etc are side effects of the above.
In fact, I can probably compress all that into 'I want to be strong, fast, and fit.' Very original.

Anyway, first WOD post:
800m run, 21 x 65lb shoulder press
800m run, 21 x 65lb push press
800m run, 21 x 65lb push jerk
24:45.

Obviously a dire time, caused by my spaghetti arms. Still, it does feel good to get past the niggling 'that's a terrible time, don't post it' thoughts. Looking forward to making some big improvements.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Jonathan Slater

Profile:
Re: Jonathan's Workout Log.

My PC is potentially bust, so postings have been cut off (great timing as usual) but in the meantime I've decided to do Starting Strength for a while, done two workouts so far, the details of which I'll post when I can.

Now, however, I'm off to Spain for a week. Bodyweight only it is, then.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

Ah, praise be to all gods, the internet is fixed! I got back from Spain to a virus-infested PC, fixing it involved wiping all my program files, which included my net conenction software - cue much awkwardness and difficulty.
Anyway... best not cry over spilled milk, 'tis all sorted now.

So... where was I? (checks previous posts) Ah yes. Starting Strength. Did two workouts before going to Spain, which went quite well, except on the second I did something of a painful nature to my left shoulder during the press. Luckily my holiday intervened with a well-timed respite, during which I did a few runs to the beach and back (which was up an immense hill of unbelievable steepness) and some pushup/squat based workouts.

Since getting back (Sunday) I have done Monday's SS workout, as detailed below. Picked up some 20kg plates of a larger diameter than most of mine, which helps with the deadlifts as I don't have to reach all the way to my ankles. I'm also subbing ring dips for the bench press until I have a bench.

Monday 8th Sept (ie yesterday)
----------------
Squat - 10kgx5x2, 20kgx5, 30kgx4, 40kgx5x3.
Ring Dips - pushupsx10x3, dipsx3x3
Deadlift - 20kgx5, 30kgx4, 40kgx4, 50kgx5.

The ring dips were probably the hardest thing here, as my arms aren't particularly strong. Comments along the lines of my legs being much the same as my arms will be met with profanities and possibly some sword-based action. Looking forward to tomorrow.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

Man, I have to get a move on with constructing an ad hoc squat rack - my cobbling-together of a stepladder and my heavy bag (only possible as it is helpfully leaning against a wall after I broke the chain with a side kick. Sweet.) is probably going to cause my early death pretty soon. Anyway, I have to rescue my car from an MOT so I'll keep this short, though it's against my nature.

Wed 10/9/08
------------
Squat - 20kgx5x3, 30kgx5, 40kgx4, 50kgx5x3
Press - 10kgx5x3, 20kgx5, 25kgx4, 30kgx5x3
Power clean - 10kgx5x3, 15kgx5, 25kgx5x3

My shoulder injury seems to be alright now, phew. Could probably have gone a touch heavier (shakey legs notwithstanding) on the power clean, but I'm not very familiar with it and don't want to break anything (ie myself). Everything else was freakin' hard, as it should be. Lots of grunting.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:26 AM   #5
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

Just a quickie nutrition post before I do my workout later today... so I can remember what I'm eating at this period in time.
Usual day of food:
fast till between 12 and 2 (whenever I get back from work)
Omelette with three or four eggs, ham or bacon bits, onion, sometimes salsa
Later some mackerel, tuna, or salmon with some fruit (usually kiwi, apple or banana) and some almonds
Later still evening meal of maybe minced beef in chopped tomatoes with onion and pepper, or chicken with veggies, etc.

Feel so much better than in the old days of unspeakable sugar-filled / refined carb hell. Losing flabby bits too, always a bonus.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

Hokey dokey. Got a load of paint from the local B&Q store today, and I'm going to gut and re-paint the garage (a.k.a. man room) tomorrow. It is going to rule. Of course it is far from finished due to monetary constraints, but I have just ordered a proper squat rack. This is somewhat essential, as my home-made disaster of a rack collapsed with the bar on it today, limiting me to 40kg squats (the most I can just pick up and hoick over my shoulders). Hopefully it will come very quickly.

My arms gave out before the end of the dips today, so I need to work on marginally easier things and work up to ring dips again, I think. Progression suggestions welcome if anyone actually reads this, ever. Anyway.

Sat* 13/9/08
------------
Squat - 20kgx5x2, 30kgx5, 40kgx4, 50kgxsquat-rack-collapse, 40kgx5x3
Ring Dips - 3x10 pushups on little parallel bars, dipsx3x2
Deadlift - 40kgx5x2, 50kgx5, 55kgx5

*Was going to be on Fridays but I realised that was a mental idea after how wrecked I was from my thursday night TKD class. Great planning there.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:19 AM   #7
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

Squat - 20kgx5x3, 30kgx5x2, 40kgx5x3
Press - 10kgx5x3, 20kgx5, 25kgx5x3

Had a lot of shoulder trouble today. I'm convinced it's due to work, as it's the same shoulder I carry my 20kg ish bags around on. Couldn't raise my elbow to the required height for the finish of the clean without excessive pain, which made it a bit awkward, hence the low weights. Squatted at 40kg again for the same reasons as before (no stand) but my stands should be here within 2/3 days. Fingers and indeed toes crossed.

Nutrition/composition note: lost a bit more flabulousness. Actually lost a stone since coming back from Florida in June. Quite pleased to discover that. Also seem to be developing weird and new muscles at the top of my backside. Go me.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

Woohoo, my squat rack arrived! Now all I need is a flat bench and I'm fully equipped, SS-wise at least. Still having some shoulder issues but I'm taking steps to prevent it at work, so we shall see how that goes. Heaviest deadlift so far too.

Wed 17/9/08
------------
Squat - 20kgx5x2, 30kgx5, 40kgx4, 50kgx5x3
Pushup sets
Deadlift - 40kgx5x2, 50kgx5, 55kgx5, 60kgx3, 65kgx2, 70kgx5
Old 09-20-2008, 04:01 AM   #9
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

Just a quickie as I'm veeeery busy. So there.

Sat 20/9/08
------------
Squat - 20kgx5x3, 30kgx5, 40kgx4, 50kgx5x3
Press - 10kgx5x3, 20kgx5, 25kgx4, 30kgx5, 25kgx5 (shoulder pain again)
Old 09-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #10
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

Good day today, got another 5kg on the squat and another 10kg on the deadlift, then thought 'what the hell, it's only another 5kg to my bodyweight, let's give it a go' and managed it! Sweet. Next target is 100kg for the deadlift, and a bodyweight squat, which is obviously a fair way off but why not?
The bad news: my arms still suck. I did sets of different pushup styles of
increasing difficulty till I was broken. Get stronger, you swines!

Mon 22/9/08
------------
Squat - 20kgx5x2, 30kgx5, 40kgx4, 50kgx3, 55kgx5x3
Pushup sets
Deadlift - 40kgx5, 50kgx3, 60kgx3, 70kgx2, 80kgx3, 85kgx1 (woo, I can lift myself off the ground!)