CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-05-2006, 07:24 AM   #1
Bryan Edge

Profile:
My Back Squat strength seems disproportionately low compared to my deadlift strength. I'm 37, 5' 11", about 175lbs and ~10% bf. My deadlift PR is 335LBS at the moment, but I've yet to back squat (butt to ankles, full rom) more than about 190-195.

Should I just squat more, or is there something else -- particular rep scheme, or other exercises that might assist the bs, for example? (I DL and BS about the same in terms of how often).

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:41 AM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
My back squat (130kg) is about 75% of my deadlift (175kg). I spent a while doing 5x5 back squats which increased both my squat and deadlift numbers...I think it increased my squat more, but I can't remember. But anyway, I worked on my squat because it was weak and I just used the deadlift to assess how the squating was carrying over to my general strength. Hope that helps, despite it's vagueness.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:31 AM   #3

Profile:

try the hatch squat program. 12 week cycle will have you front and back squatting on the same day, 2 days/week. you'll need to cut back on any other heavy leg work during the cycle.

http://www.mikesgym.org/programs/ind...m&programID=19
Old 10-05-2006, 08:35 AM   #4
William Winger

Profile:
It's pretty common to aim for a 3:4:5 ratio of strength in the bench:squat:dead, so that would put you at 268 as a goal in the squat. In order to get there I would do a ton of low-rep high-weight squat workouts for the next 6 weeks. Maybe 8 workouts of 3x3 really heavy, over the next 6 weeks, and throw in some explosive jump squats with each workout. You can't keep it up indefinitely, but that'll put a dent in your discrepancy. Also, over the same period limit yourself to 4 or 5 deadlift sessions, where you'll focus more on the 5, 6, 7-rep range, you'll slow down your gains on deadlift, but broaden your strength base.

I have the opposite problem:
Bench:Squat:Deadlift
280:315:355 --> should be --> 280:375:465...

So maybe 3:4:5 is a little aggresive? I'll let you know how I feel when I've put 60lbs on my squat and 110 on my dead...
Old 10-05-2006, 08:56 AM   #5
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
I believ the 3:4:5 formula is based on a Power Lifting squat. As your doing a butt to ankles your squats numbers will be slightly lower.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:10 AM   #6
Bryan Edge

Profile:
Thanks guys -- sounds like I just need to add some 3 x 3s and the like...so maybe I'll try working that in for the next 6 weeks or so and see how it goes.

I don't actualy deadlift any more than I squat (mainly just when the WOD calls for it, with an occasional 'extra') so I'm not sure why my Deadlift would outstrip my Back Squat so much.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:26 AM   #7
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
I've read several things recently that mention that many people will have a stronger deadlift than squat (I think I read it in Starting Strength??).

In powerlifting, aren't the squat numbers usually higher than deadlift numbers? Is this due to squat suits or something else? I know they don't go all the way deep, though they do have to go below parallel I think...but I'm not sure if it accounts for the difference.

Just curious, thanks...

Howard
Old 10-05-2006, 09:27 AM   #8

Profile:

deadlifts are heavier than squats with little exception.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:39 AM   #9
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Greg,

The Hatch Squat program, as outlined on Coach Burgener's site, shows percentages of a fixed 1RM going until week 12.

Is there any testing phase involved where 1RM is reset to new levels?

It seems to me that 3 months of squat work would result in some different top ends by the end of the cycle.

I have a similar disparity between my squat and dead that I'd like to remedy. Am I incorrect in assuming I'll need to up the weight at some point during the 3 mo. cycle? There is only one attempt at a PR (103% BS) during Week 11.

Best,

Jon
Old 10-05-2006, 09:43 AM   #10
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Hmmm, for some reason I was under the impression that numerous people squatted over 1000lbs but that was really rare in the deadlift. Obviously I don't follow it that closely or I would have a clue... :biggrin:

Howard