CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-08-2006, 01:12 AM   #1
Kemal Eren

Profile:
Ever get beginners to the fitness game ask you to write them a lifting program? It can be very frustrating, especially when they don't follow through. Also I'm afraid that, although I was well-intentioned, I've scared away many a newcomer by immediately giving them the Crossfit website, an overview of the Zone, and a scathing attack on machine exercises. It can be hard to step back and realize just how little some people know about lifting; immediately bombarding them with so much information just doesn't work.

With this problem in mind, I've created a four-week program for the absolute beginner. From now on, whenever someone asks me how to get started, I will just print them a copy and go over it with them. If they stick with it for a month and are still interested, then hopefully they will be ready to hear more. If not, they will have joined the ranks of the 90% that don't follow through. If that's the case, then I'll not have wasted too much time on them.

I hope to get some feedback so that I can fine-tune it. Keep in mind that the point is to keep it as simple as possible. I made many concessions to keep it from scaring anybody away, as I'm sure you will observe (especially in the brief nutrition section).

I hope that there is just enough here to help people get their feet wet and prompt some questions (i.e. "Why aren't there any crunches? What's wrong with machine exercises? Why should I sprint?)

Please let me know what you think of the whole idea, and what I've produced so far. I have specific reasons for designing the program the way I did, and I must say I'm pretty proud of it.
Attached Files
File Type: email kemal'sbeginnerprogram.xls (9.5 KB, 1748 views)
Old 10-08-2006, 05:52 AM   #2
William Winger

Profile:
That's an extremely inclusive beginner's program. You should be proud!
Old 10-08-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
Nice! Mind if I use it? With all credits given where due?
Old 10-08-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
Kemal Eren

Profile:
That's why I've posted it. Feel free to modify it or whatever. Glad you guys like it.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
Michael J. Joyce

Profile:
I think it's great. You have kept it simple, but definitely introduced the user to a broader spectrum than many so-called "personal trainers." Well done.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:47 PM   #6
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Kemal good stuff...what's a dead bug?

Aush
Old 10-08-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
Kemal Eren

Profile:
Aushion, it's similar to a reverse crunch. Start lying on your back with both arms and legs in the air. Lower one leg and the opposite arm to the ground, hold for a few seconds, then return.

My idea was to cover as many aspects of core stability as possible*:
-anterior (dead bugs and reverse crunches)
-posterior (deadlift)
-rotary (woodchops)
-tension and bracing (pillars, overhead work)
-lateral (single arm press)

I also wanted to put core training first on every lifting day to highlight the importance of core training.

I prefer to get as much core training as possible from other exercises (overhead squats, kipping pullups, l-pullups, suitcase deadlifts, etc), but I excluded these as too complicated. Also, I think that including some explicit ab work will keep people from quitting because they think they won't get a six pack if they're following my crazy ideas.

*got alot of my ideas for these from Mike Robertson's articles on you-know-where.

(Message edited by meaner_elk on October 08, 2006)
Old 10-09-2006, 07:51 AM   #8
Blair Sutton

Profile:
Really nice information that you've put together.

Are you in the Ann Arbor area? I recognized the BJJ club crest from the U and was wondering if you trained with them.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:51 AM   #9
Brian Mansfield

Profile:
I'm far from computer savvy and can't figure out how to open this file. My computer asks what program created the file in order to open it. What does that mean? Any suggestions on how I would open the file? Thanks. Brian.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:13 AM   #10
William Winger

Profile:
Brian, it's an excel spreadsheet. I believe it can be opened by Google Spreadsheet, if you have a Google account.

But for sure you can find Excel Reader online, or better yet, OpenOffice.org Spreadsheet. Both are free and will allow you to access the document.