CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
David Gray

Profile:
What are bumper plates, training plates, etc.

I have yet to find something that explains exactly what all these different types of weights are. I do know, however, that my gym (USN) only has metal plates. With Crossfit on the cover of Navy Times and three or more novice Xfitters using the gym, now is the time to request the right equipment--but I don't know what it is. Is there a site, or can someone explain all the differences between bumper plates, training plates, rubber plates, rubber coated plates--the whole shebang.

Also, experienced Xfitters in the Naples, Italy area are welcome to provide some guidance to we novices.

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Tom Fetter

Profile:
Re: What are bumper plates, training plates, etc.

Take a look at the CrossFit Journal issue called the Garage Gym.

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...sue1_Sep02.pdf (wfs) It goes into as much detail as needed in sorting out what equipment you need etc.

Bumper plates are solid rubber weight plates, to fit the Olympic bar. They're all the same diameter, regardless of weight ... same diameter as the #45 iron plates in your usual gym. Bumpers were developed to train the Olympic lifts, because (with a suitable bar) they can be dropped on a lifting platform without wrecking stuff.

You can either buy competition bumpers (coloured, very carefully calibrated to exact weight) or training bumpers (usually black, and as accurate as most gym weights). Huge difference in price.

Rubber coated iron plates will keep your weights from killing your floors when you put them down a bit firmly, but aren't anything like a substitute for bumpers. If you drop them, they'll mess with your floor, with the bar, and the rubber will split ... sooner or later this will happen anyhow.

That said, while bumpers are wonderful, they're not required. Just don't drop your weights! Many here do WODs with whatever weight set they have ... it just makes you more twitchy and conservative about loading while doing the Olympic lifts.

Last edited by Tom Fetter : 06-27-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
David Gray

Profile:
Re: What are bumper plates, training plates, etc.

Tom, thanks. I went to Jason Hughes's profile to get his website URL, saw he was reading this post, looking forward to any comments he adds.

Remember, while I may ultimately buy them myself, right now I'm trying to get what is essentially a box gym to buy them. They will, and they will get those benches and racks of dumbbells off of the lifting platform, too, once I ask them. I just want to make sure I'm having them purchase the right things. This is the time of year when the Navy suddenly "finds" money, knowing enough to guide the MWR in spending theirs in the gym is what I'm trying to get here.

Thanks again!