CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-30-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
Elliot Royce

Profile:
At Jason's suggestion, I picked up this joint mobility program. I did the beginner segment, and it's quite well prepared and easy to follow. Two questions:

- do I need to stick with the beginner or can I try some of the intermediate? The author says to score "8 out of 10" on everything before moving on, but that could take years and I expect that some of the more advanced drills would be helpful

- how do I integrate this with CF and other exercise? Should I replace the CF warmup with this? The author says it only takes 15 minutes but I think the DVD was rolling on for about 30 minutes. How many times per week should I do this? I never seem to have enough time for everything.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:03 PM   #2
Sam Cannons

Profile:
Is that the Scott Sonnon program ??

Regards
Old 05-01-2006, 01:47 AM   #3
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Elliot -

I recommend sticking with the Basic level until you do nail the 8+/10 on everything. Be strict about your form, and watch yourself in a mirror to check it. For example:

- In the lateral neck slide, does your head turn or tilt?
- In the arm circles, does one or both of your elbows bend?
- In the forearm circles, does one or both of your wrists bend?
- In the wrist movements, does your hand move more than your wrist?
- etc!

All of these are examples of poor form, signs that your body is not yet ready to move on. The Basic level is for recovering your true pain-free ROM at each joint. Though some of the more advanced drills look more "functional", you will have greater long term performance benefits from first spending quality time working out your kinks at the Basic level. This was KEY to my becoming pain-free and able to train at full capacity again.

Yes, moving to the Advanced level may take years... but it may only take weeks of the Basic level to give you serious results. Quality over complexity, my friend. :happy:

I think of my Intu-Flow as my daily "movement vitamin." You can do it in place of other warmups, or in addition to them. It also makes a great cooldown, and is ideal for Active Recovery on your off-days.

As you get comfy with the routine and are able to start going through the whole thing without the video, you can get it down to about 15-20 minutes. I try to fit it in every day. If I don't have time to do the whole thing, I at least work my tightest areas. Try to get the whole thing in at least 3x weekly.

I look forward to hearing what changes you experience with consistent practice!

Sam -

Yes.:biggrin:
Old 05-01-2006, 10:01 AM   #4
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Jason:

I can see the utility of the program and will follow your advice. Am I right in thinking that this will not address lack of flexibility per se because there is limited stretching of muscles. I would need to continue a stretching program as well, right?
Old 05-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #5
Jason Erickson

Profile:
As you develop greater pain-free ROM, you will feel more "flexible" and be able to move in ways that currently seem beyond your level of flexibility. In general, I rarely feel the need for stretching in my personal practice, but decide for yourself. You know your body better than I do.

If you also utilize a program of stretching, do so only after a workout when you are thoroughly warmed up. I recommend using Active Isolated Stretching or PNF stretching as opposed to the old static "hold and pray" method.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:28 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I agree with everything Jason said above.

Mobility before flexibility. Active flexibility before passive flexibility.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:29 PM   #7
Rene Renteria

Profile:
I have poor hip ROM (and shoulders and...) and have been thinking about adding one of these programs. I saw a review of Intu-Flow that called it a needed update to Warrior Wellness but that some of the hip movements had been cut out.

(What I'm most looking for is better "turn-out" of my hips, like for plies in ballet, I guess; a frog stance, or yoga's "baby pose", with the knees and feet turned out to the side but still able to apply power. It's a better position for keeping weight over your feet and off your fingers when climbing.)

Does Intu-Flow focus on the upper body, or does it include a lot of lower body work as well?

Would you recommend Intu-Flow over some of the other programs that were discussed in Allen's thread not so long ago? It's hard to stomach some of the marketing talk on Sonnen's site about the program, but people generally seem to be quite positive about the program (which includes 3 DVDs, the "Xtension" program (or something like that), a couple of 5 lb. clubbells, and a couple of posters with some movements on them).

Thanks!
Rene'
Old 05-03-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Rene -

I feel that Intu-Flow is a superior program, both in content and presentation. Both programs cover each major moving joint from head to toe, including the hips and legs. The additional material included in Intu-Flow (vs Warrior Wellness) offers more in the way of coordination development, and the XTension program is a nice basic intro to Clubbell practice. (Also way cheaper than buying 5# CBs separately!)

In a wide variety of recurring pain and postural distortion patterns, I've seen some tremendous improvements resulting from consistent practice of these mobility programs. I frequently recommend them and have received only positive feedback from those who have followed through.

Lacking sufficient knowledge of the other programs mentioned in Allen's thread, I will not make comparisons. Perhaps someone else with direct experience can do so?
Old 05-04-2006, 11:35 AM   #9
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I have no idea of the other programs but I would chime in that the Intuflow DVD is one of the most pleasing online exercise programs I've seen. I find it very relaxing and the pace is just right. Normally, I can't deal with online exercise: it's either too fast or too slow or irritating with beautiful people bouncing around. This is very mellow but paced just right. Almost like a meditation (although I do feel pretty silly moving my arms like snakes -- I'm a clumsy 225lb, 6'3" middle aged man -- but no one is watching!).
Old 05-04-2006, 02:23 PM   #10
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Excellent. Thanks for the reviews! I'll order it and see if I can get my (currently pregnant) wife to join me.

Sorry I can't address your original question about integrating it into your workouts. Although I haven't seen it, it doesn't seem like it would replace the official CF warmup which is good practice and some extra volume for pullups, dips, and situps.

Personally, I don't do the CFWU, as my body always feels like I need to warmup before I can do the warmup! So, for me, this program might be able to replace my OHS with broomstick, goblet squats, and hanging from a bar plus a couple of pullups and dips (although it probably shouldn't replace them because these have helped my squat form, I think).

Thanks again,
Rene'