CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-11-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
Jason Chung

Profile:
Muscle-ups

How many pullups and dips are equal to one muscleup?

I was reading the FAQ and can't really get a clear answer from it:

"Pullups and dips. Some have suggested 1 min of both somewhat equates to one muscle-up. Most common substitution is 3 pullups +3 dips, or 4 pullups +4 dips."

Does this mean either 3 or 4 pullups and dips is equal to one muscleup?

If so, that's a lot! :P

Thanks
Old 02-11-2008, 08:10 AM   #2
Wade Smith

Profile:
Re: Muscle-ups

I do 4 pullups, then 4 ring dips and count that as ONE muscle-up. I believe that is the common sub. Plus... why do 3 when you can do 4?
Old 02-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

I would rather have you do deep weighted muscles and high weighted pullups. These will get you closer to a muscle up than massive amounts of dips and pullups.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
Paul Mirek

Profile:

Steven Low: Other than practice, practice, practice; what would you do to work on the transition? Would you still work deep weighted dips and high weighted pull-ups, or would you add something else to learn how to pull yourself through the rings? Thanks!
Old 02-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Slow controlled negatives. Assisted muscle ups (band or jumping). Focus on technique.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #6
Justin Shipley

Profile:

just started on some homemade rings myself. i can dip and pullup, both weighted and free, till the cows come home but no amount of endurance and proficiency in these exercises can substitute for the transition. the amount of explosiveness and coordination required is something else. and i get a savage pump in my forearms, a bit like from climbing, from MU practice that i never get from regular pullups. so while the workload may be similar between pullups/ dips and the MU, nothing takes the place of doing it
Old 02-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
Chris Jordan

Profile:

If you are lacking rings then do 4 of each. Otherwise I don't really understand the math of 4pu + 4dips = 1 mu. If you can do a pull-up and you can do a ring dip but you can't so a muscle up you are probably limited by the transition. I found that I couldn't get my shoulders to roll forward of my hands until I saw the false grip and learned to bring my rings together in front of my chest.

I can't emphasize strongly enough how much the false grip means to the muscle-up. When I saw the false grip for the first time I went home and did my first mu on the first attempt. Get your wrists on the rings.