CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-10-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
Jeffrey White

Profile:
New Fathers?

I'm a new dad...I have a 9 month old girl.

Working out, at home, even an abbreiviated program like CF can be difficult. Sometimes is just seems like there isn't enough time.

I'm wondering if there are other new parents out there and how you balance it all out.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
Randy Kite

Profile:
Re: New Fathers?

Jeffrey,

Congratulations!
I'm a new father as well (9 month old boy).
Now that the baby is teething I don’t think we get more than four hours sleep a night between the two of us. I try to make the most of the time I have.
I have an advantage in that we own a Gymnastics gym. I make time for my workouts in the morning before I start teaching.

It also helps that my boy loves to be part of my regimen. I do sit-ups and squats with him on my chest. He seems to really enjoy it.

Bottom line is, if there is a way I will make it work.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
Brett Andrus

Profile:

Oh boy! We're expecting our second in a couple months! I can't wait to be in the same boat.

But, Randy definitely has the right idea (owning a gym is good, but I mean) in making playtime with baby into a mini workout. Of course, the intensity isn't the same (you shouldn't spill your tea in this case), but you get some movement and fun with your child at the same time.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Pat McElhone

Profile:

Congratulations. We have a 7month daughter and 4 yo boy. I have invested in a pretty good set-up in my basement so I work out at home. I get up at 0430 every morning to get the WOD in. It does seem like the only "me time" I get is this early.

I actually have a great morning routine. The coffee goes off automatically, get a cup, check out the mainpage to see the WOD, then 3-2-1 GO! With warm-up and the WOD I am usually finished by 0530. Then shower, protein shake (I know, but it is easy) and start my commute. Getting up at 0430 to workout has been liberating. I get it in. I do not feel selfish about it. I start my day off right. Finally, when I get home in the evening, I am able to help my wife and spend time with the kids before bed.

CF WODs fit perfectly into this routine. If a WOD is longer then 30min (Linda, Murph), I either do it for 30min and stop or sub another workout.

Good luck and congratulations with fatherhood.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
Brett Andrus

Profile:

Pat, I totally understand about getting it done early. I get up at ~5 every day to get the workout done and get to work by 8, despite my not being a morning person. The other hours of the day are just too important. I could be reading to my son or having dinner with my wife & son in the evening.
But, what do you do when you can't sleep at night?
Can you still drag your a$$ out of bed at 4:30?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #6
Jeffrey White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Kite View Post
Jeffrey,

Congratulations!
I'm a new father as well (9 month old boy).
Now that the baby is teething I donít think we get more than four hours sleep a night between the two of us. I try to make the most of the time I have.
I have an advantage in that we own a Gymnastics gym. I make time for my workouts in the morning before I start teaching.

It also helps that my boy loves to be part of my regimen. I do sit-ups and squats with him on my chest. He seems to really enjoy it.

Bottom line is, if there is a way I will make it work.
yeah, I know the teething is rough. FWIW, we got one of those white noise machines and its really helped her sleep.

I've contemplating doing the early morning workouts. But most of the time it is hard to get out of bed. It just seems like we can never get enough sleep.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #7
Ryan Blair

Profile:

I have a 10mo old girl and a 5 yr old boy. Like the others I must get up early so that I have time to fit it in, but I get up early and get to work by 6:00 so I can leave at 2:30 to go hit the WOD. Back at home before 4:00 to hang with the family. There is the lunch option as well but doesn't work for me.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
Paul Mirek

Profile:

Yep, CrossFitting Fathers become like the Marines or any other combat unit. We live by the motto, "We do more before 6AM, than you do all day." Alarm clocks set at 4:30AM or before always help. Going to bed at 9:00PM helps. Having an accessible place to work out that early helps (even if it is a 24 hour GloboGym...curses to Bally's for opening at 5:00AM...I wish it were 24 hours...they don't pay attention to you in the early hours).

Having a nearly 3 year old daughter and a 8 month old son, you learn to adjust. You learn to live with less sleep. You find the time. Just keep at it and it will become natural. Involving your kids doesn't hurt either.

BTW...tried doing my first turkish-get-up with my daughter last night before her bedtime. Now there's a way to learn how to stabilize the mid-line.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #9
Gant Grimes

Profile:

I have a 4 year boy and 8 mo. girl and have to do CF just to keep up with them. Mornings are dicey, and all bets are off at night. I use my lunch hour so I can get in shape, avoid eating crap, and save money all in one shot.

To the new fathers. Get the workouts in when you can and sleep when they sleep. If you miss a day, so be it. Have a few abbreviated workouts ready to go, too. I've spent many a travel day with little more than Tabata pushups, situps, and squats. Burpees fit the bill, too.

Enjoy the ride.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:02 AM   #10
William McDaniel

Profile:

Congratulations to Jeffrey and all the other new dads. Both of my girls are school age now (8 and 12) and I look back on being a new dad with great fondness. From here on out life is full of unpredictability and change for everyone in your home.

I agree this is a really difficult time to stay focused on athletic/fitness endeavors. However, if you are fortunate it will only get busier and more difficult as your children get older. Just redouble your efforts. Be more disciplined, schedule your workouts, and negotiate responsibilities with your spouse. The simple fact is your kids will come first, but that doesn't mean that you must put your workout last. Before you know it, those helpless little infants become workout partners.

Savor the journey,

William

PS This is just another of many of the threads that make me proud to be part of the CF community