CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:38 AM   #1
Jon Gilson

Profile:
I am going to be attending a USA Track and Field Level 1 Certification in December, sponsored by Gill Athletics.

I'm hoping for some feedback on the experience. Has anyone attended this event? Were sprint mechanics covered in any great detail?

Thanks for the help!

Best,

Jon
Old 09-13-2006, 08:41 AM   #2
Karl Geissler

Profile:
Jon-

Are you coming to one that we are doing up in Chicago? I would love to have some CrossFit members in it!

Karl
Old 09-13-2006, 09:12 AM   #3
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Karl,

Unfortunately, no! I'd love to, but the Waterloo, NY Cert is much closer to Boston. It's a 5+ hour drive, but no airplanes!

Russ Ebbets is running the show.

We're going to bring a whole contingent of trainers from Crossfit Boston. I simply can't believe how low the fee is for the amount of training provided. What a great deal!

Could you give me a little bit of info about what goes on at the USATF Cert? You can always email me at: jon@againfaster.com.

Thanks, Karl!

Best,

Jon
Old 09-13-2006, 10:58 AM   #4
Karl Geissler

Profile:
First of all, Russ Ebbets also serves as one of the leading biomechanics instructors for USA Track and Field. I am not sure who he has recruited for the cert, but he knows a lot of good people.

Secondly, The curriculum is standardized 22 hours of classroom instruction. There used to be time built in for "learn-by-doing" (similiar to CrossFit certification) but that is getting harder to do. The important thing is that the program will give you a solid foundation in coaching principles combined with an introduction into the technical aspects of all the track and field events. It serves as a precursor for the advanced certifications (which are very in-depth, but require a larger time committment).

It is a good program, very well researched, and useful. It will be different than what we do in CrossFit, but it will give a good introduction to many of the scientific principles that Greg and Lauren have used to formulate this training modality.

Lastly, for those who are close to Chicago, I am directing a similar school on Decemeber 28-30 in Chicago. Please contact me if you have any interest.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:21 AM   #5
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Thanks, Karl. Hopefully we'll be halfway to Waterloo before any of the crew hears the word "classroom"... :bolt:

I'm looking forward to it!
Old 09-13-2006, 01:30 PM   #6
Dan John

Profile:

If after being certified to coach, you have any questions that I can help you with, let me know. I'm amazed that after throwing the discus since 1971, I keep learning more...
Old 09-14-2006, 08:54 AM   #7
H. Giovanni Salazar

Profile:
Oh that's what those things are. Well, at first I thought and my kids can attest that they were those darned cow chips flying all over the place since we're so close to the Wisconsin border.

Just kidding. Yes, it is true. I know as a coach for runners I am always trying to learn as much as I can and this past weekend when Karl had us at the Urbana track it was a good refresher and his presentation was sharp. I did learn a little more than I thought I already knew.

There is always room for knowledge and application. Dan, have you heard or Biomechanics magazine? I read it cover to cover monthly and it's to my benefit since most clients I train have serious post surgical/neurologic impediments.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:30 AM   #8
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Thanks, Dan! You can be sure we'll be taking you up on the offer!

Given the prevalence of sprinting in Crossfit, and the amazing functionality of throwing heavy things, I'm thinking this will be one of the best things I do all year!

For time:

30 Discus Throws
30 Sprints for Retrieval

Ready, Go!

I tell our athletes over and over that running is a skill that must be trained. Now we might actually be able to train it.

So excited...
Old 09-14-2006, 07:00 PM   #9
Dan John

Profile:

Dear God, don't do that. I have a free discus book on my site
http://danjohn.org
Hit "The Book."
Please don't...please.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:27 AM   #10
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Jeez, Dan. You're no fun. I thought a 180+ bpm heart rate would help with distance...

Thanks! I'll check out The Book!

Best,

Jon