CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-14-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
Chris Jodlowski

Profile:
I first read about this in one of those cosmo-for-men kind of magazines and did a cycle of the workouts they recommended, then started lurking here and taking a stab at the WODs. I've worked out on and off for a long time, but I've *never* seen results like this in a span of a month now. When I started I could flail out a single, 1/2-a$$ed pullup. I can do 5 now.

I'm 33, 5'10" and 220. 2 kids and a sit down job and was gaining weight faster than I want to think about. Now my upper body - chest, arms, shoulders, back - looks like my old one was removed and a newer model dropped on. I'm still working on dropping fat to get rid of those nasty handles. I'll probably take that part over to the nutrition board. Just one question, here, though. After reading "start here" I still have a hard time giving up on the 30 minutes of cardio tacked on after the WOD. Am I just wasting my time or are there gains to be made in dropping fat by getting in a 3 mile run?

Glad to be part of this. I've been evangelizing to anyone who will listen. So far, when I explain a WOD as "100 pull ups, 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 squats". . .folks just shake their head and walk away.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:00 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Welcome to the club! Drop the extra cardio, it's a waste of your time and muscle. If you want to do extra work, do all three rounds of the CFWU before each WOD, you'll get enough work done that way. Glad to have you here.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
Jim Russo

Profile:  
chris--here's my week with crossfit.

sun--wod
mon--wod/ ice hockey
tues--wod
weds--wod/ 5 mile run
thurs--wod
fri--wod/ ice hockey
sat--wod

i do the wod as prescribed as best i can and take all rest days. on days i hit the ice i subtract any leg moves from the wod and just do the upper body stuff.

results during 2 months of crossfit: minus 10 pounds/ speed and balance on ice has improved greatly--have more time to read the play rather than try to stay up.

crossfit rules!!
Old 03-17-2006, 07:15 AM   #4
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Chris,
Spend the cardio time working on "skills" nunchuck skills, bowhunting skils, computer hacking skills... girls only like guys with great skills.

Really spend the time you would run working on extra overhead squats, technique work for Oly lifts, handstand balance, pullups... you will gain strength, coordination and burn extra calories.