CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-22-2006, 09:46 PM   #1
Kelly Moon

Profile:  
Hey everybody, another newbie here. A little about myself, I go to college in Boulder, Colorado and I'm an active member of the Triathlon team here. I am also a dedicated member of thesealquest.com and got pointed to this site by them. I had a question about the WODs. Do most of you use the WOD as your only workout or do you incorporate it into your other daily workouts? I have yet to do a WOD and I am sure I will be humbled by it but I was wondering if I should use the WOD as an addition to my daily pushups, pullups, etc.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:35 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
I am a triathlete as well and I find that CrossFit works perfectly with Sprint and Olympic, marginally with long course and not very well at all for ultra. Your own level of fitness will determine if you augment what you already do with CrossFit or replace it entirely. Start slowly and build up so you don't hurt yourself and feel free to experiment with how you incorporate your other training. CF is very individually controlled so use it to serve your training goals.

Welcome aboard, you will love it here. Visit daily, post often and train hard.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:43 PM   #3
David Knutzen

Profile:
Hey Kelly.

I also go to college in Boulder CO. I've been doing the WOD for just over a year now, so if you ever need a WOD-buddy, feel free to look me up.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:40 PM   #4
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Hey, I'm in the midst of a gap year, but will be in Boulder in the fall. Add me to the list of buddies- I don't mind a bit of a commute in the meantime (down in Denver at the moment)

As for adding pushups and pullups, you sure can, but I'd do it as part of a focus, not so much as just "extra." I did a pullup focus for a while to get the "go" to tear through the workouts more effectively, and right now I've got a couple max effort overlays in the mix to bring up max strength levels to something resembling adequate. The stress of the WOD is really good at building strength endurance, and maintaining previous strengths- I'd argue that you want to do as little extra as you can, to improve as much as you can- if that little contradiction makes any sense.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:25 AM   #5
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Kelly, welcome to CrossFit.
If you're training with Kory Knowles, you'll do great here. The SEAL Quest is an impressive bunch!
In fact, two of the guys stopped by CrossFit Gulf Coast yesterday to check it out. They were both hard-charging, highly-motivated, non-stop athletes. See the attached photo, maybe you know them.
Glad you're here!
Frank
www.crossfitgulfcoast.com

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/18856.jpg
Old 01-30-2006, 01:49 PM   #6
Kelly Moon

Profile:  
Thanks for all the great advice guys. I'll put it to good use. In response to Frank. I can't see the picture clearly but the guy on the right looks like my boat crew leader from a little "Hellweek" that Kory ran down in Clearwater. Hooyah!