CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-07-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
Christine Reinhart

Profile:
I'm going to a conference for about 10 days, and therefore will not have access to my kitchen and a reduced ability to prepare my own food. I've become pretty good at finding and/or modifying restaurant meals to suit the Zone principles, but I was wondering if anybody had suggestions about relatively convenient, easy-to-pack foods/products that I could buy in advance and bring with me to the conference. Unfortunately, I will not have access to a fridge during my stay, so I'm looking for some non-perishable suggestions. Any thoughts about this would be much appreciated!
Old 08-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
For restaurants, Boston Market has worked good for me, whenever I'm out and need to eat something I try to find one.

You could always find a local supermarket, buy yourself a little foam cooler and some dry ice.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
Gant Grimes

Profile:

When I travel, I buy single-serving protein powder packs for the airport, hotel room, etc.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:48 PM   #4
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Deli departments in super markets are great -- you can usually find prepackaged salads, buy meat or cheese by the ounce, and probably find an olive bar or something similar, as well.

Other than that - as far an things that don't need to be refrigerated -- Zone bars, nuts, jerky, apples...
Old 08-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
Christine Reinhart

Profile:
Thank you all for your suggestions. :-)
Old 08-08-2007, 04:00 AM   #6
Jaime Steele

Profile:
Hi Christine

I travel a bit and always take a big shaker with a plastic freezer bag inside it filled with protein powder and Greens+, then you can take the bag out and use the shaker. I also take a big bag of mixed nuts, a bag of seeds and flax seed oil. As Becca said, I also take things like apples, pears, a couple of unripe avocados and let them ripen in your room, a plastic box with cut up brocolli, carrot etc. - these sort of things last a few days. I always steal stuff from the breakfast buffet to snack on during the day as well!

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:41 AM   #7
Jonas Cronfeld

Profile:
A thing I've noticed myself is that when I'm travelling I often forget to eat because I'm so absorbed in the new stimulating environment. I've fixed the problem by having SMS-reminders sent to my phone when it's feeding-time. I've actually come to like it so much that I've kept the reminders permanently. You can set up 10 free reminders at http://www.backpackit.com/ and have them delivered at the same time every day. Very convenient. Regarding the food choices - you can buy greens almost anywhere in the world, so you need some protein and fat. You could bring some almonds and whey-protein and some oil that don't need a refrigerator; olive oil would be a good choice. Combine it with some skim milk and some lean meat that you probably can buy at the location and you're good to go. I hope that you'll have a very nice conference and enjoy all the new inputs coming to you.

All the best,

Jonas
Old 08-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #8
Christine Reinhart

Profile:
Jaime - love the shaker and plastic bag idea!

I'll definitely be bringing nuts, olive oil, Zone bars, protein powder, and a few pieces of fruit to tide me over until I can find the closest grocery store.

I think breakfast, lunch, and snacks will be no problem (as long as I can find time to eat - as Jonas mentioned). It's going to be the obligatory schmoozing at the receptions and dinners that may be a challenge. If I can eat clean for 4 out of 5 meals each day, I guess that's not so bad :-)
Old 08-08-2007, 06:28 PM   #9
Kim Dowse

Profile:
Christine - I travel a lot for work as well. I always carry packets of tuna and chicken, apples, broccoli, cauliflower and a couple of bars. No fridge in the room...for perishibles I use the bathroom sink as a "cooler" and keep my food on ice (from the ice machine). Also, (although expensive) I will bring Backpackers Pantry breakfasts with me...just add water.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #10
Joshua Bird

Profile:
Sometimes when I'm stuck with nothing, and I am desperate, I hit a convenience store and do the following two block snack:

1 apple
pre-packaged Deli meat
package of almonds/peanuts etc.

Necessity is the mother of invention!!