CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-16-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
Brad Davis

Profile:
I apologize in advance if this has been covered elsewhere. I've been reading the IF threads for a while and haven't seen it.

Some have mentioned the amount of time to get over being hungry and feeling bad when starting IF, but I think it would be useful to have this info in one place.

For you guys who have made the transition, how would you describe the beginning difficulties, both intensity and duration?

Did you feel like you wanted to chew your arm off or was it less severe? Was the transition hard enough to cause problems at work, etc.?

How long did it take to get over the initial shock and feel good? 2 days? 2 weeks? 2 months?
Old 05-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
Skylar Cook

Profile:
I don't practice strict IF, but I have been experimenting (albeit somewhat unintentionally) with IF/CR for the past few weeks (3 or 4?). It's mostly a hectic exam schedule eating plan; for the first week I was really hungry and felt out of it without eating at the usual time, but now I can pretty much eat whenever and feel, suprisingly, better. However, these mini-fasts are at most 10 hours long.

So yes, I'd say there's a week or two internment period, but then again, I don't practice strict IF.}
Old 05-17-2007, 07:52 AM   #3
Brad Davis

Profile:
Thanks Skylar.

I'm surprised that nobody else is volunteering information! That doesn't sound encouraging, LOL. Whatsamatter--chicken?! :harhar00:

FWIW, I started yesterday. The plan being to eat from 4:30-5:00pm to 10:30-11:00pm. Went well yesterday. I wasn't as hungry as I thought I'd be. Started getting distracted and a little shaky after about 2:00. I found it to be a load off not having to worry about watching what I eat all day. It's easy to get the target calories and macronutrients when they're all eaten in a couple of huge chunks. I had a really hard conditioning workout at 8:30pm last night that went as well as it ever would. Pretty cool that ALL food for the day was pre-workout and post-workout, LOL.

I feel worse this morning than yesterday, but tolerable because it's only about 6 more hours.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Headaches fatigue hanger and lack of energy for the first 2 weeks for me, then everything sorted itself out and I felt great it has been around 8 months now I think.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #5
Rob McBee

Profile:
About a week to ten days but I eat my first meal around noon. I'll have noticeable hunger around 9:30 in the morning but its over in less than 10min.

I was wondering the same thing Brad. Could all eating be centered around basically pre and post workout meals? Would metabolism slow-down be a marked downside? What would be the trade-offs in performance vs. health if any? I have these questions because I haven't seen anyone take the IF to the extreme,IMO, window of only pre/post workout eating. I guess the 'Warrior Diet' offers some benchmark but I haven't practiced it like that for a time period that might yield some useful observations.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #6
Brad Davis

Profile:
Thanks for the replies.

As for the pre & post workout meals, I didn't really plan it that way. It just kinda happened. I usually workout at night and didn't feel like pushing the workout forward to 4:00pm.

I ate a big meal at 4:40, let it digest for 4 hours to about 8:30. Then started eating again at 9:00pm, ending at about 10:45.

I don't know if it's supposedly much better to go ahead and workout before starting to eat.

Today is much harder than yesterday. I think it's just that I'm working on miserable stuff today, so am not distracted by my work. Oh well, only 2:50 to go! I think I'll have the 11 oz sirloin today. :biggrin:

(Message edited by dbradd on May 17, 2007)
Old 05-17-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I had a little orthostatic hypotension for the first couple weeks (got slightly lightheaded when standing up too fast), but that all went away.

If you've been doing a "light/no on the fruit" Paleo diet plan, the transition isn't bad. The more sugar one eats, the harder it is.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:13 PM   #8
Brad Davis

Profile:
Thanks Dr. Smith.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
Leah Turner

Profile:
I'm on my 6th day and surprisingly I haven't had any difficulties. I thought working out would be horrible at 4pm w/ out food since the previous day at 6pm - but it was fine - just like normal.

The only thing is feeling hungry sometimes - which isn't often. Mostly I just get annoyed w/out tasting anything besides water for 24 hours.

But so far suprisingly well. Easy way to cut calories. I love not worrying about food so much and it frees up time! ...I'll see how long I last :-)
Old 05-21-2007, 07:18 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Leah,
Herbal tea helps with the "mouth feel/flavor" and gives your stomach something to work with.

I can't imagine plain water all day on IF...