CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-12-2007, 07:59 AM   #1
Josh Reynolds

Profile:
Could someone please direct me to a thread or link that covers IF. I would like to learn more about this topic. Thanks so much for your help.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
Scott Clark

Profile:

Use the SEARCH feature. Plenty of good info.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Eat 5 to 6 hours a day, focus on quality protein, fruits, vegetables, and good fats from nuts, seeds, and fish oil. Consume no other calories during the other 19 to 20 hours. Lesson over.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
Kim Dowse

Profile:
Josh - here's a great article from Michael Eades (W/F safe) that illustrates the why's and effects on the body.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=278

Similar to Larry...I eat organic/wild protein, organic veggies, fruits and nuts. I fast 16 - 18 hours and eat all my food within a 6 to 8 hour window.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
Scott Clark

Profile:

Kim did you experience a lack of energy when you started? I'm researching IF currently and will likely give it a go in a few weeks. I'm thinking of eating between noon-7:00pm, but I'm wondering how I'm going to handle not eating my usual breakfast and snack prior to noon :g:
Old 05-13-2007, 03:54 PM   #6
Richard Furr

Profile:
I eat between 6-11 or 7-12(PM). I just started 4 days ago and it is awesome! I feel great and don't get hungry anymore. Makes the logistics of staying on a diet way easier. The first 2-3 days I felt miserable. I think this is because I am very insulin resistant. It's worth it though.

(Message edited by richard on May 13, 2007)
Old 05-13-2007, 05:36 PM   #7
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I have been doing noon to 6pm for about 9 months now. It was hard for the first 2 weeks but now totally natural.

Results so far
Muscle gain
elevated mood
more energy
rock solid blood sugar ( based on energy and concentration during day )

another benefit is it is great not to worry about breakfast.

I went into IF very skeptical but now I am 100% sold.

You can also find some great threads concerning IF on the performance menu

(Message edited by kmckay on May 13, 2007)
Old 05-13-2007, 05:54 PM   #8
Kim Dowse

Profile:
Scott - I actually had more energy the first week. Mt diet was fairly clean (except for zone/balance bars, ezekiel bread and the occasional Guiness/wine/dessert)prior to beginning my IF journey. I agree with Richard...logistically IF is easier. I use to eat at 7a, 10a, 1p, 4p and 7p, which is six separate meals. I eat the same amount of calories, but eat 3-4 meals during my feeding time. My challenge now is to time my eating with my XF workouts. The evening sessions at my gym are at 530p and 630p...have not yet figured out the perfect end time before working out.

Also, I went paleo and gluten free about six weeks ago. My husband and I went out to dinner when I was about two weeks into eating IF/gluten-free. The "bad" part of my dinner that night was a glass of wine, sauces on the veggies and 1/3 choc cake. I felt like crap the next morning...a mix between hungover and starving. My body got so used to the good stuff and I paid for it. Good luck!
Old 05-13-2007, 09:00 PM   #9
Brad Davis

Profile:
I've been reading the IF threads for a while now and have a relevant question.

Is it imperative to have one's current diet nailed down completely before trying IF?

For example, I eat better than average (that's not saying much, LOL), but do not eat a strict paleo or zone diet. I'm probably 2/3 the way toward paleo, but haven't eliminated high-sodium foods (still eat canned tuna for example), ALL refined sugar (sweet tooth every now and then), etc.

(Message edited by dbradd on May 13, 2007)
Old 05-13-2007, 09:22 PM   #10
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Well since it really reduces hunger I would guess that it would make nailing down your diet easier unless you gaol is to eat more.

more cool if stuff
safe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie_restriction#Intermittent_fasting_as_an_alt e rnative_approach