CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-19-2006, 12:36 PM   #1
Sean Manseau

Profile:
just watched the video of those studly crossfit SC girls doing grace--they're powering cleaning! dammit, i've been doing full squat cleans. maybe it's virtuous but my time definitely suffers. just so we're all on the same page: PCs in this instance are ok?
Old 04-19-2006, 02:21 PM   #2
Alex McClung

Profile:
Kipping or deadhang ?
Is Murphy an Angie or a Cindy style ?
Is Grace a squat or a power clean WOD ?

A couple of months ago I said, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, there are hundreds of ways to fail - we should explore them all. You gotta ask yourself why you only do the WOD one way. Squat and power cleans are both legit exercises, so do 'em both and see what you find out.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:40 PM   #3
Sean Manseau

Profile:
you make a good point, alex. i was just curious because, like many users on the site, i compare my results to those of others, and you can only get an accurate idea of how you measure up if you're doing the same work as everyone else.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
search the archives and you'll see that Grace is basically "get it over your head any way that you can." On the Crossfit DVD, they don't do squat cleans either.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
Nick Gagnon

Profile:
If you can power clean your way through the workout, more power to you. (no pun intended)
Old 04-21-2006, 09:10 AM   #6
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I'm of the opinion that you should spend the balance of your time doing things "the hard way". That way you're always prepared/trained for when things go to ****. Periodically, just to see what you can do, go "the easy way" and lay down a monster time.

At the end of the day, this isn't life or death. Making those competitive comparisions is fun, but the most important comparision you can make is with yourself. Where you were, where you are...and the distance between those 2 places. Don't get caught up in what others are doing, it only leads to bad things.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:48 PM   #7
Aaron Markovich

Profile:
I'm in complete agreeance with Matt on this one. I Crossfit with a friend and while we each have our strong and weak points I have noticed considerable differences in both of our forms when doing the exercises.

Having said that, my friend usually bests my time during every WOD. In hindsight, I've had to learn not to worry so much about it because I'm more focused on the quality of the movement that I'm doing. Doing things the hard way in order to be prepared for the worst is a good attitude.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:04 PM   #8
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
Making those competitive comparisions is fun, but the most important comparision you can make is with yourself.

That's a cop out and a clever way to avoid competition. Do what everyone else is doing so your time means something and you know where you stand.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:49 AM   #9
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
That's a cop out and a clever way to avoid competition. Do what everyone else is doing so your time means something and you know where you stand.

There's nothing wrong with being competitive with yourself.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:31 AM   #10
Sean Guerrant

Profile:

That's a copout and a clever way to avoid competition. Do what everyone else is doing so your time means something and you know where you stand. What?
Charlie, I am as competitive as anyone, but comparing posted times means absolutely nothing. I'm sure many people here are honorable and post legit times, but you don't know how their form is, their gym setup (how far apart are items), and a whole bunch of other things that would change any real "competition". In truth, you have no idea if they even did what they posted, so what are you "competing" with? Some number on a screen that some imaginary person posted? Assuming EVERYTHING was equal and legit, I still agree with Matt.
That's hardly a copout - some might call it "maturity". Competing with times to "measure" yourself is a way of looking for an ego stroke. Some of us don't need that and it's not a "clever way of avoiding" anything. I just don't need to beat Joe Schmoe's time to feel good about myself. I am extraordinarily happy with MY improvements since I started; doubling weights, in some cases, increasing MY run times by minutes, etc. If someone 10 years younger and 125 lb heavier can do more, faster, good for him!! I applaud him just for being here and cheer him on as a fellow CF'er. If someone who's been doing this for 3-4 years longer can crush my times (even if she's female and a little older than me, you know who you are), so what? Is that still a reasonable comparison?
Don't get me wrong - I post my times and I look at others' to measure where I might be on a particular workout, but I'm not competing with anyone anymore. I started out that way and nearly got injured. Now, I look at my old times, weights, reps, and see how I'm progressing - a much better and more consistent unit of measure, in my opinion.