CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-25-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
Michael Halbfish

Profile:
Recent WOD Trends

I've notices some recent trends in the WODS. I'm curous as to to the reasons. These are some of the trends I've noticed...

1. Almost all of the affiliates now start with a heavy lift for 5 or less reps. I think this is largely the influence of Grant, CFSB, Ahmik, Crossfit Football and Black Box programming. This has been an increasing trend for about 2 years.

2. Many affiliates are now following the strength set with a calisthenic often done for 10-15 reps or max reps, and usually for 1-3 sets.

3. Many affiliates are doing more short WODS. As many rounds as possible within time domains of 5-15 minutes and more often 7-12 minutes.

4. Many affiliates are stringing together 2-3 WODS usually in the 5-8 minute range. However, I've seen some very experienced affiliates even string combos like a back to back Chief and Annie. Given that the chief alone is 19 minutes, I would imagine that this WOD combo would take most people close to 30 minutes or more to complete. This combo also seemed odd to me because as we increase the length of the WODs intensity decreases.

I like the idea of stringing together 2 to 3 short couplets and would like more thoughts about programming in this manner. I think it has tremendous potential if it is done with skill, and I think more skill is required to program in this manner.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
Michael Halbfish

Profile:
Re: Recent WOD Trends

Funny how I left out the trend that prompted me to right the post above. I've noticed a tremendous increase in partner or team based workouts.

As someone who primarily trains alone, I find this disappointing. However, I appreciate the community building, motivational, and practical aspects of utilizing team WODS.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Halbfish View Post
As someone who primarily trains alone, I find this disappointing.
Disappointing why? Just because they're not training as you are?

Quote:
However, I appreciate the community building, motivational, and practical aspects of utilizing team WODS.
Then why worry about it?

How exactly are you keeping tabs on what "almost all" and "many" of the affiliates are doing? And, for that matter, why?

- Mark
Old 07-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I'm not really sure what or why your question is. I think it's plainly obvious that some affiliates are adding strength stuff b/c many feel that strenght work is lacking at MP, and if you are adding strength you need to shorten the MC. Team wods are implemented to increase the community aspect of affiliate membership I imagine. Affiliates do their own programming because either they don't agree totally with MP, they have other goals in mind for their members, and/or so that they can distinguish themselves from MP (if an affiliate just follows MP then members can just follow MP and don't really need an affiliate).

For OP, just pick a program and stay with it, what's the big deal?
Old 07-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Funny how I left out the trend that prompted me to right the post above. I've noticed a tremendous increase in partner or team based workouts.

As someone who primarily trains alone, I find this disappointing. However, I appreciate the community building, motivational, and practical aspects of utilizing team WODS.
Affiliate WODs are intended primarily for that affiliate's members, not for the public at large.

*shrug* If you don't like a particular affiliate's programming, don't follow it. There are plenty of other choices out there.

Katherine
Old 07-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

I find your observations interesting. The reflexive defensiveness is a bit off-putting.

I train alone myself. Mainly because the closest affiliates to me are a 30 min. drive and that just does not fit into my schedule.

I train the way you describe (heavy lifts, then short MC), except one day per week when I do a long MC. I feel like I've almost gravitated that way by default. Part of it is due to the influence of CFSB, but the real reason is that I did not feel that certain lifts were coming up often enough for me to develop real skill at them. I need way more repetition to "get it."
Old 07-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
This combo also seemed odd to me because as we increase the length of the WODs intensity decreases.
Who cares? Intensity is not all that matters.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Shane,

I would say momentary intensity isn't all that matters.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
Michael Halbfish

Profile:

Ned, I'm not sure what you mean by reflexive defensiveness but I apologize. I was not passing judgment on anyone. I am merely curious about the reasons for these trends and hoping to learn something.

Mark,
I have visited over 1200 affiliate pages. I check many of my favorites on a daily or weekly basis. Many of the affiliates post excellent articles or links. NY Black Box is especially excellent with their daily links and Invictus and some of the other blogs are excellent with daily articles.

Looking at the programming is very educational. I also do it because I often adopt my WODs based upon one or more factors including the following:
1. Available equipment
2. Available time
3. Recent WODS and upcoming schedule
4. Areas that I want to work
5. Searching for more variety and diversity.
6. How my body feels

I primarily follow Crossfit Football and Crossfit Endurance. On weekends I will often replace the Crossfit Football WOD with other metcons, especially sealfit.com or others that work different domains and utilize different movements. I followed the Crossfit main page for several years before deviating.

I have enough experience with Crossfit and enough training education (including Crossfit Cert) to have some ability to deviate from the excellent standard programming.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Shane,

I would say momentary intensity isn't all that matters.

Athletes in every other sport have low-intensity days as part of their programming. This includes strength sports like weightlifting. This is something that is clearly lacking (or unexplained) in most CrossFit programs.