CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #61
Aaron Gainer

Profile:
Re: Video: Mike Boyle teaches an awkward hang snatch

Boyle is not a strength coach. . A rehab/joint mobility/flexibility type coach is more of his role. That is all I view him as.

All of his postings are anti-bilateral squats and deadlifts in favor of single limb exercises. While there is nothing wrong with the latter, single limb exercises become dangerous beyond a certain point of loading(mainly the single leg deadlift and the elevated split squat) and the balance factor that goes along with those exercises.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #62
Mac Oneill

Profile:

Begin rant:

I just taught my buddy how to Snatch yesterday with nothing but the Burgener warm up and a stick. After about two hours this uncoordinated Donkey Kong was performing perfect Snatches when he learned how to OHS the day before. The Burgener warm up is gold, not only teaching the Snatch, but also for helping newbies understand the power of the hip drive, the speed involved in the movement, and the fluidity of the lift as a whole. These are all things that will make a huge difference when teaching the clean tomorrow.

Now, my main issue with Mr. Boyle's video is that instead of having the athletes open their hips to jump the weight up in a safe, efficient, linear path that virtually floats the weight into position, he has athletes driving their hips into the bar to swing the weight into position. Clearly this is unstable, unsafe, and inefficient. I'm not saying Boyle is a bad coach, and some of the blame has to fall on the athlete, but any novice watching that video should forget what they saw to avoid confusion and injuries.

Either way, one would hope that an NFL prospect could handle that kind of stress on their lower back, but man it would suck to lose a contract because you blew your back out trying to sex 300lbs over your head.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #63
Andrew Wilson

Profile:

I haven't read any of the recent comments, but I just rewatched that video. Those snatches are terrible. You'd think if someone was considered the co-founder of strength and conditioning they'd know how teach a legit snatch to high end professional draftees. This is the perfect example of why S&C in our country is total crap and also why the Soviets have kicked our arses for 100 years.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #64
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
Ok, SLS it is.
You can also work a pistol with a flat back and less knee flexion, however it's simply easier to work the SLS with the free leg hanging down bending the knee if need be to get full range (though many will fail to be able to get down to the bottom or get out).

I would probably use the free leg SLS instead of the "pistol" as it's slightly easier especially if the athlete does not have decent active hip flexibility in the free leg. That part is a pain in the butt. This is a bit like Ido Portal's "Shrimp".

One of the biggest issues with the SLS this way is loading it up since the squatting leg has to be higher than the floor and you need to step on the box with that load already in hand. Fine at lower loads, quite difficult at heavy loads.

It can easily be deemed the moniker of "silly BS" if an athlete got hurt this way. DB can be used instead of putting a bar in the front or back rack but there could be an eventual limit as to what an athlete could hold.

And thus this is the major problem of weighted SLS. By this time, you could just switch over to plyo SLS though.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #65
John Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post

One of the biggest issues with the SLS this way is loading it up

I believe Mr. Boyle actually says in one of the videos that when he first started implementing SLS he never imagined loading would become the limiting factor; but loading has turned out to be just that.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #66
Shane Skowron

Profile:

My back usually hurts after front-weighted pistols, and not in a good way. I try to keep a really straight back too. Never tried a back loaded pistol though.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #67
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Well, doing a SLS-pistol often requires many people to hunch over to balance versus having a back like a front squat.

Now, add load by placing a bar in a front rack. Could I guess and say it's that it's your thoracic spine that is aggravated? Try a back rack. I've tried before but these were done with SLS where the free leg hangs down vs "pistol" style.

How much weight? This was with 18+15+9 I think. Not very much. Yes, my free leg hangs down more than I like. My max is 65 or 96, but I think this was done in a back rack but I can't honestly remember. There is a video of an acrobat over on GB that was doing it with 115 in a front rack. Gives me hope.

Loading even gets tricky in the Bulgarian Split Squat. I found it easier to just get under the bar in a Power Rack, squat it up and then do lunges.

Put a bench, box, or stool inside the rack and position the foot there and derack it and it could be done that way.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #68
Jake Oleander

Profile:

I REALLY like the bulgarian split squat (as well as the pistol and the shrimp), if you guys haven't done them and aren't afraid of trying, I suggest you try it out. They hit the entire leg and glute in a way that the standard squat does not. Plus they identify weaknesses unilaterally.

BOTH exercises have their place, I dont know why anyone would suggest that they are somehow mutually exclusive...sillyness

I remember a long time ago saying to myself that I would never replace squats from my workouts, but then I learned about periodization...
Old 12-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #69
John Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Davis View Post

Squats are a lot closer to being a "holy grail" of exercise ... That can single handedly change someone's athletic life--like going from a 150 lb beanpole to a 200 lb athlete in just a few months.
I disagree with your use of "athlete;" but that's a terminology battle not suited for this thread. Squats may help you gain 50lbs and become stronger, but they do not magically transform you into an athlete.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #70
Greg Privitera

Profile:

I like to do my pistols with my working leg elevated, so i can keep a neutral back position at the bottom (you will basically never see a neutral spine at the bottom of a pistol on the floor, check).

If you're strong enough to do pistols with 150lbs, all the way down, then you are hopefully also strong enough to hold a 75lb dumbell on each shoulder.

BSS are pretty easy to load up to about 100lbs each hand, at your sides. Grip might become limiting, use straps or keep doing it until you're "that guy" with the strong grip.