CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 10-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Colin McLafferty

Profile:
Power Cleans Form Check.

Hey all,

I'd really appreciate your input on these. I see that the bar is coming away from me, but is this considered an unacceptable distance? If so, any tips on keeping it closer to me? If anything else is wrong I'd love to hear about that too. Thanks.

Videos are different sets and different angles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajbN3wVmuLk WFS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIqJbWwrXuU WFS
Old 10-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Re: Power Cleans Form Check.

I don't see the bar getting away from you. What stands out is our deadlift starting stance - lower your hips at the start.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

On both videos you are initiating the acceleration of the second pull with an arm bend. Wrap your head around the belief that power comes from the lower body, not the arms.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

yeah, hips WAY down on the start, and you have to finish the "jump and shrug" motion before your arms bend...
Old 10-07-2009, 06:38 AM   #5
Thomas White

Profile:

You need to start jumping as soon as the bar gets to the bottom of your knees. Preferably as explosive as possible. Arms stay straight at jump, then whip your elbows under the bar as fast as possible.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
Steven Webster

Profile:

If you had to jump in the air without any weight you would not not what you're doing there at all. You have to understand the reason your body leaves the floor, which is the fact your muscles can create more than enough force to temporarily render you weightless.

If you could jump off the floor and weighed 400lbs, then lost 300lbs, you would jump much higher.

Your arms function only to attach the weight to your body and make you heavier. Since weights are not attached to your body you have to learn how to bring them off the floor and overhead. Power cleans are one way to achieve this. Since you cannot muscle up 300lbs or reverse curl 300lbs you will have to use the stronger muscles in your back and legs.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
On both videos you are initiating the acceleration of the second pull with an arm bend. Wrap your head around the belief that power comes from the lower body, not the arms.
I feel that I initiate it with that arm bend because I'm almost standing straight by the point I start the second pull to get the bar racked. I understand that my arms should be like ropes and I put no muscle into that pull. But I don't really explode until the bar gets past my knees. I'm thinking one way I can avoid the arm bend is by exploding (inasmuch as that's possible considering the first pull is a DL) from the very start of the DL through the rest of the movement.

^I think this is what Tom is suggesting. Is that correct, Tom? Also, what do you think about what I said above, Lincoln?

Thanks all for your help! Really great insights.

Last edited by Colin McLafferty : 10-07-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
Andrew Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McLafferty View Post
I feel that I initiate it with that arm bend because I'm almost standing straight by the point I start the second pull to get the bar racked. I understand that my arms should be like ropes and I put no muscle into that pull. But I don't really explode until the bar gets past my knees. I'm thinking one way I can avoid the arm bend is by exploding (inasmuch as that's possible considering the first pull is a DL) from the very start of the DL through the rest of the movement.

^I think this is what Tom is suggesting. Is that correct, Tom? Also, what do you think about what I said above, Lincoln?

The master says it all:
Quote:
and you have to finish the "jump and shrug" motion before your arms bend...
casey wfs
casey2 wfs
Old 10-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
I'm thinking one way I can avoid the arm bend is by exploding (inasmuch as that's possible considering the first pull is a DL) from the very start of the DL through the rest of the movement.
The greatest acceleration should happen at the end of the second pull, not the beginning of the first pull.

Check out this graph of Natalie Woolfolk's lifting. Look at the graph of the acceleration -- that first peak of acceleration just to the left of the blue vertical dash is at the end of the second pull. (Note too that during the rebend of the knees the acceleration goes negative for a brief moment.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Woolfolk%2Bclean.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	5245  

Last edited by Lincoln Brigham : 10-07-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #10
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McLafferty View Post
I'm thinking one way I can avoid the arm bend is by exploding (inasmuch as that's possible considering the first pull is a DL) from the very start of the DL through the rest of the movement.

The first pull IS NOT a DL. There-in maybe be your problem. The start of the clean has the hips set lower than a DL. Hips too high and you're in a disadvantage going into your second pull - where the majority of our power comes from - the hip drive. Explosive hip drive, jump and shrug and that bar should be moving upwards on it's own. Violently pull yourself under the bar as you WHIP the elbow up and around into the rack.

Compare the speed of your PC with my CJ, especially the elbows (wfs): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfkOUewLucM