CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #51
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: VO2Max macronutrient/caloric expenditure and percentage of carbs/fat used, heartr

Why are you guys feeding the troll?

No one ever won any competitions because their Vo2max was the highest. Lactate threshold correlates better with winners in endurance events anyway. Fighting utilizes both pathways significantly.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #52
Daniel Holt

Profile:
Re: VO2Max macronutrient/caloric expenditure and percentage of carbs/fat used, heartr

I don't know my VO2Max. I have ran 2.5 miles in 20 minutes in the past when I weighed 175 pounds. The fastest mile I have ever ran was 5:30 minutes at 160 pounds.

At my current weight I can run a 7 minute mile. But instead of time I concentrate on my muscle, cartilage, and ligament development. By this I mean I keep a strong stride. I only run strong rather than keeping a consistant 50 year old man pace where I could obviously cover more distance. I do a strong jog, rest when winded, and then do a full on sprint into a jog again.

I currently have been gaining purposefully. I found that I have not been taking in enough salt and in the past couple days have gained 8 pounds in water weight by drinking more milk, fruit juice, and salt. I notice my focus has improved too.

I weigh 244 pounds, 5'9". I would guess I can get my VO2Max up to atleast 65%. When I can run a strong 6 minute mile again I'll assume I will have brought it back up to 85%. I will challenge myself to be able to run 3 miles in 20 minutes at 244 pounds of bodyweight. I've had friends that were able to do it. I used to run an hour a day too. I was on the track team.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:56 PM   #53
Andrew Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holt View Post
I don't know my VO2Max. I have ran 2.5 miles in 20 minutes in the past when I weighed 175 pounds. The fastest mile I have ever ran was 5:30 minutes at 160 pounds.

At my current weight I can run a 7 minute mile. But instead of time I concentrate on my muscle, cartilage, and ligament development. By this I mean I keep a strong stride. I only run strong rather than keeping a consistant 50 year old man pace where I could obviously cover more distance. I do a strong jog, rest when winded, and then do a full on sprint into a jog again.

I currently have been gaining purposefully. I found that I have not been taking in enough salt and in the past couple days have gained 8 pounds in water weight by drinking more milk, fruit juice, and salt. I notice my focus has improved too.

I weigh 244 pounds, 5'9". I would guess I can get my VO2Max up to atleast 65%. When I can run a strong 6 minute mile again I'll assume I will have brought it back up to 85%. I will challenge myself to be able to run 3 miles in 20 minutes at 244 pounds of bodyweight. I've had friends that were able to do it. I used to run an hour a day too. I was on the track team.
If you run a 1.5mi next workout & shoot me your time, I can nail out your VO2max & caloric expenditure/CHO/Fat/Pro info you're looking for.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #54
Daniel Holt

Profile:

Calculate my past figures and tell me what it is. I'm not ready to get my current VO2Max measure yet. Probably in a month I will.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:15 PM   #55
Andrew Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Calculate my past figures and tell me what it is. I'm not ready to get my current VO2Max measure yet. Probably in a month I will.
Well your max oxygen consumption is heavily sensitive to your now conditioning. When you were 160, then 175, now 244, plus add years between, and relative training background the weeks prior to those runs, all are going to create very very significantly different maxes, and inconsistent information for you. The formulas are also very specific to 1.5mi or the protocol the test is conducted. Your VO2max now could be 40ml/kg/min, a month from now it could be 47ml/kg/min, at 160 it could have been 50ml/kg/min, at 175 it could have been 67mi/kg/min. That's why it's the standard measurement for aerobic capacity- reliable, valid, specific. It may be a great measurer to do it soon, then measure it a month later to see the level of aerobic improvement.
And the huge weight differences has a massive gross difference in caloric exp

Last edited by Andrew Wilson : 09-09-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:53 PM   #56
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I thought you said you wanted to do interval training and weightlifting as training for MMA. So why do you give a flying fig about your 3 mile time? And if you're 5'9", why are you trying to grow into the heavyweight class, where most people will have big height and reach advantages?

(BJ Penn, also 5'9", fights at 170ish. Fedor Emelianenko, at 6'0", only fights at 230ish. Somehow I doubt that you are more fit at 244 than those gentlemen, no matter what your mile time is.)

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but nothing you've posted here makes any sense as part of a coherent training program. IMO, you're overanalyzing minutiae without having the big picture under control.

Katherine
Old 09-10-2009, 12:50 AM   #57
Daniel Holt

Profile:

It's more to do with the level of VO2Max held in 20 minutes than just being a mere three miles. I was reading from a web-site made about exercise physiology research. If you can hold 75-85% VO2Max for 20 minutes you increase your lactate threshold. Meaning that you rebound from soreness and recover much faster. You can ideally do a fully body workout/activity every other day.

That matches up with what Bruce Lee did. He read a lot of books on weightlifting, martial arts, exercise physiology, and biochemistry.

http://www.mikementzer.com/blee.html

When you eat for your activity and train to be fat adapted you improve your body's ability for athletic endurance and have more available endurance. This also spares carbs for when they are needed. You still need to carb load before an intense activity. Not sure where fighting fits in with VO2Max, I'll look that up on my own.

I've heard all the modern day myths these fighters live by and I think there is much room for them to improve. Ultimate Fighting is still fairly new. Bruce Lee was the first example of a martial artist that came in and created the best system for the styles he learned. Maybe if we go back and learn from the past we can move ahead in the future. It appears to me in many health and athletic fields there is a major decline in fundamental principals.

I think by far the Ultimate Fighter with the most sound strategies and physique was Randy Couture. He fought well into he 40s. He's one of the leaner ones too. Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, and Hoyce (sp?) Gracie were all very good fundamental fighters. Bruce Lee was superb in fitness and does not fit the mold of many stereotypes for people his weight of 130 pounds. He beat height and reach with speed, strength, and reacting to his opponents movements. UFC fighters aren't quite there yet when it comes to that level of economic strength, intensity, and accute reactions Bruce Lee had attained. I have far more height and girth than Bruce Lee so I'll add some weight to myself. I'm also naturally very strong. I'm going to experiment with myself in ways I doubt any other fighter in UFC has.

I feel the best martial arts to learn are jeet kun do, wrestling, jiu jitsu, and kickboxing.

Mike Tyson was shorter than the other boxers and in his prime while being mentored by Constantine "Cus" D'Amato he was unstoppable. He had massive strength. He was fast and agile too. He gets a bad reputation because once his mentor passed away his talent disappeared. He had too many issues and turned to a lackluster training regimen/lackluster trainers

They're more fit than me right now, but I just started training again. Within a week of training I could climb up a rope twice in a row at my gym and bench press 225 pounds 6 times at 240 pounds of bodyweight.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:18 AM   #58
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw
* Glycogen is the main limiting factor in athletic performance. If you can remember that sentence you'll avoid making most of the basic mistakes people make when it comes to sports nutrition.
No, that's way too general. Glycogen is required for glycolytic activity which is required for optimal performance in many sports.

However sports at the extreme end of the spectrum (distance running/extreme endurance on end, and perhaps powerlifting/O-lifting on the other end) are not dependent on glycolytic activity.
Way too general? Maybe, but generally speaking it's true.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:31 AM   #59
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Which book is better for what I am looking for?

Exercise Physiology: Human Bioenergetics and Its Applications (Hardcover)
by George Brooks (Author), Thomas Fahey (Author), Kenneth Baldwin (Author)
I haven't read this one so I can't comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holt
or

Exercise Physiology: Energy, Nutrition, and Human Performance (Exercise Physiology ( MC Ardle)) (Hardcover)
by William D McArdle
William D McArdle (Author)
This covers everything you'll ever want to or need to know about exercise physiology, it's well written and surprisingly readable given the complexity of the subject matter plus most libraries will have access to a copy so I'd go with this one. There's a new revised 7th edition out on November 1st so I'd advise you to get the current edition from the library then buy the new edition when it comes out in a couple of months.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #60
Brandon Petersen

Profile:

I really can't believe i just read all that, LOL
When i first read his post, i read it like 5 times, still didnt understand it...I was dam, i am def following this thread, this will be very informative.

Now as i read...My man, either you are just screwing with everyone on these boards, or honestly don't know what in the world you are talking about. I am not debating anything you said for facts, with all your links etc...Just debating you as a whole.

"i want to be a professional mma fighter" ....
at 5"9 and 240, you want to be a professional MMA fighter? I would suggest dropping about 60 pounds, and then considering this....then continuing to drop about another 20....
I have to agree with others...Less planning and all this technical stuff, and go train. Your getting this far into it, but then said you just started training again? What in the world were you doing before?

What does all that stuff even matter, if you are overweight, and not training and out of shape?

Less quoting Bruce Lee, and discussing UFC fighters etc...and actually get to the gym, and go train MMA...and about experimenting with yourself like no other UFC fighter has? I'm pretty confident those UFC fighters you speak of are actually trianing, versus talking about what they are going to do on a public forum....

PS_ benching 225x6 at a weight of 240lb is not something to gloat about...There are people who weight 150lb or prob less that can do that...