CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-08-2006, 04:42 AM   #1
John Hoffner

Profile:
Found an article on Rowing from the LA Times:
http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-rowing5jun05,1,4531405.story?coll=l a-headlines-health&track=crosspromo
I wondered if anyone well versed in rowing cared to comment on how well it explains the proper pull involved. I just moved to a place where the gym on base has one 1980's era compurow ergometer (better than nothing right?) and my first experience with it yeilded some minor pain followed by about a week of stiffness in my lower back.
THEN I saw this article. I've always had to sub rowng w/SDLHPs, I'd love to be able to row, but my back is pretty valuable to me. Any advice will be greatly appreciated
Old 06-08-2006, 05:20 AM   #2
Chris Kemp

Profile:
John, as the article mentioned Angela Hart gave a demo on this at the last CF seminar. The description and demo of stroke technique at the cert coincides exactly with that shown in the article. For more info listen to the second half of the CFlive show on rowing, Angela covers things in even more detail there. Also, you could try and find a CF affiliate in your area and get them to check you out on rowing. Would recommend your gym staff but the likelihood of finding someone competent could be a gamble.

Unless you have some sort of issue with your back, rowing with good form should cause you no grief at all.

Cheers, kempie
Old 06-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #3
Robert Thompson

Profile:
Take a look at C2's site: http://www.concept2.com/05/default.asp?bhcp=1 and the page that shows technique: http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/rower_alex_anim.html
Old 06-11-2006, 08:34 AM   #4
John Hoffner

Profile:
Chris and Robert,
Thanks to you both for the help, I managed to do the WOD from Tuesday 060606 without lower back pain afterwards!
Thanks as always for the advice, you just have to love the message boards, one of the best parts of this community!
Old 06-11-2006, 09:05 AM   #5
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
MISTAKE- I meant a safer way is to breathe in as your return, just like you are lowering into a deep squat.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:09 AM   #6
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
My previous post got lost in cyber-space, but I was commenting that the LA article didn't address breathing. In as you bend you legs and out as they extend protects your low back more than the reverse.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:39 AM   #7
John Hoffner

Profile:
Thanks Tom! I'll be practicing Rowing, in an easy manner until I get it down well after each WOD. Hopefully my use of the dilapidated machine will also ensure that the gym takes my requests to buy a C2 rower seriously...